advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Will a “Hose Bibb Vacuum Breaker” reduce pressure to garden hose?
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 31, 2021 04:10PM
Kingston Brass GHVCBK Hose Bibb Vacuum Breaker [www.amazon.com]

I have these on my two hose bibbs. The water pressure had always been pretty low. I thought these things were for pressure reduction, but it seems they are a back flow preventer, I think.
Would they reduce pressure?
I was thinking of trying to remove one, but if it doesn’t reduce pressure, I will leave it.
Also, it has a weird set screw that keeps me from just unscrewing it, and I have no idea what type of tool I would need to get it off. My smallest Allen wrench doesn’t fit. The hole looks completely round.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Will a “Hose Bibb Vacuum Breaker” reduce pressure to garden hose?
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 31, 2021 04:12PM
It might be tamper proof, if so then a specialized tool, hacksaw or plumber.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 31, 2021 04:18PM
Careful with the hacksaw or will cut into the faucet threads [says the voice of experience]

I had my best luck getting a couple of old ones off by drilling out the set screw

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: March 31, 2021 04:19PM
Acer
It might be tamper proof, if so then a specialized tool, hacksaw or plumber.

It definitely looks like a specialized tool, but since they sell them on Amazon, you would think it would be something available.
If it doesn’t reduce pressure I am good with it.
I suspect it is a code requirement, for backflow.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 31, 2021 04:31PM
National plumbing code has required back flow preventers for decades, most states / towns have adopted that provision by now.

As for reducing pressure, any restriction will do that. A well made back flow preventer will have minimum effect, but debris built up in the device could be causing additional restriction and pressure reduction.
Date: March 31, 2021 04:35PM
JoeH
National plumbing code has required back flow preventers for decades, most states / towns have adopted that provision by now.

As for reducing pressure, any restriction will do that. A well made back flow preventer will have minimum effect, but debris built up in the device could be causing additional restriction and pressure reduction.

Is there any way to clear the debris, if there is any?
I may have to get a different nozzle for my hose and see if that helps.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 31, 2021 06:39PM
rgG
JoeH

Is there any way to clear the debris, if there is any?
I may have to get a different nozzle for my hose and see if that helps.

Sometimes pushing the plunger in about out with a low flow of water will clear out debris. But other times it will take removing the vacuum breaker from the faucet and clearing it from the faucet side.

Here is a link to the installation instructions - [media.kingstonbrass.com]. I have found information that some come with a side screw and others with a tamper proof setting to retain it on the faucet. There are complaints that the side screw breaks off easily, so that is what you may be seeing on the side.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 31, 2021 08:09PM
I have seen those with a screw with a hex head that you tighten and snap off to prevent theft. weird, I know... who would bother to steal a back flow preventer? removal.

EDIT: watch this 2 min video, you can skip the fist minute or so.

[mrhardware.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2021 08:13PM by space-time.
Date: March 31, 2021 09:03PM
Thanks! I will see if I can clear it a little. It is in the garage, which makes it a pain, since I don’t want water all over the floor. I wish they had put the hose bib on the outside of the house, but that might be code, too. Who knows.
I had found a video that supposedly shows how to drill out the screw, but I haven’t watched it yet.
I think I will try getting a new nozzle and see if that makes enough of a difference. I don’t used that hose very much anyway. Path of least resistance and all. grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020