advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
It's been a year - can we chat e-bikes again?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 31, 2021 04:21PM
Last time the forum talked about e-bikes (ebikes, electric bikes), two brands were mentioned:

Rad Power Bikes

and

Specialized

Specialized is a premium brand, and their e-bikes run from about $3250 to over $16000. Rad Power is more of a entry-level retail brand, and their e-bikes run from about $1100 to $1900.

Partner and I are looking to replace our old bikes (non-electric), and are considering e-bikes as a possibility. We're weekend riders, and mostly ride on local trails and roads. Not serious mountain bikers or aggressive racers - we're usually out to tool around, be in nature, and get some exercise. We're both in good health and don't mind pushing the pedals, but a lot of the trails here are pretty hilly, and there are times we would probably venture further if not for the fear of a dreadful return ride...

We have a Yakima hitch-mounted bike rack on the rear of our car, but depending on bike weight (minus battery), that could need replacement if we go electric.

There are increasing numbers of e-bikes out there, and the pandemic has led to lots of out-of-stock problems with popular models. There are also lots of 'review sites,' but those can be notoriously unreliable and biased/sponsored.

Any e-bike owners or general bike experts have suggestions, either for makes, models, or quality review sites? I'm perpetually impressed with the breadth and depth of knowledge here, and would love to hear what you think. We're not set on going electric, but before we sink this much money into replacements we wanted to consider our alternatives. Thanks!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: It's been a year - can we chat e-bikes again?
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 31, 2021 04:45PM
Check out Trek too:

[www.trekbikes.com]

[electricbikereview.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 31, 2021 05:06PM
.....e-gad......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 31, 2021 05:17PM
Bikes are in high demand and hard to find. Local bike shop sent out an email today that they are reducing their hours for sales to M-W-F-Sat only as they don't have many bikes to sell. They are using T-TH-Sun to have all their staff work solely on bike repairs which are up tremendously. Last I checked they had a 3 week backlog and that was 3 weeks ago when the average temp was still in the 40s. I'd imagine they are out past a month now.

E-Bikes might be easier to find as they are more expensive. When I was in the shop last week to get trail passes they had a dozen bikes in stock and all of them were over $3000 or an odd size like a 29er with an XS frame.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2021 05:18PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 31, 2021 05:57PM
Thanks, C(-)ris - I should clarify that our current bikes are functional, so we're not in a huge rush to buy right now. We're moreso scoping out the landscape to see what our options are, hence the request for people's experience with e-bikes, brands, reliability, etc. Also, interested in knowing whether folks know of any reputable, independent (or at least transparent) review sites that include e-bikes. btfc mentioned one above, which I've seen on my own, but I honestly have no idea whether it's a good review site or not (btfc didn't indicate an opinion, just a link).

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: March 31, 2021 06:37PM
I've bought three!
This one: Fat tire trike
This one: Liberty Trike
And now (awaiting delivery) this one: Addmotor M-340 Fat trike
I love 'em!

I started my research with the Rad bikes, but decided I wanted to have a trike in my "old" age. Rad doesn't offer one.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 31, 2021 07:29PM
I've bought three!

Wow!

Upgrades or increasing the stable?

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: March 31, 2021 07:56PM
We have three Rad Power bikes:

RadRover for cross-country and light trail riding
RadCity for road riding around town
RadRunner with back rack with removable baskets and a center console as a grocery getter

The first two we have had for two years, the third one came when a new grocery store was built a half mile away.

Prior to the Rad's, I didn't ride any bikes at all due to knee pain going up hills. For each of the last two years, I've ridden about 1500 miles per year (during the non-snow part of the year). So e-bikes have been a game changer for us.

I couldn't see buying one of the more expensive brands unless you were doing very heavy trail MTB style riding. The Rads do just fine at a good price point.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2021 07:57PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 31, 2021 08:00PM
rjmacs
We're both in good health and don't mind pushing the pedals, but a lot of the trails here are pretty hilly, and there are times we would probably venture further if not for the fear of a dreadful return ride...

This probably isn't as much of an issue for mountain style eBikes, but something to keep in mind in general: if the bike is setup for speed and not torque, you may not have as much assist as you'd like going uphill.

I used my eBike primarily for commuting on a relatively flat-ish ride, with only one "tiny" uphill to speak of, but that tiny uphill is super noticeable as it actually requires effort on my part, versus zero effort the rest of the way (I ride at full throttle/assist for speed where I essentially pedal to engage the motor and don't do any actual work myself).

I also find that the "lowest" assist level may be needed just to overcome the extra weight of the eBike. If you don't use any assist, you're going to be doing extra work over a regular bike because of the extra weight.

And keep in mind the advertised "range". I.e. try to figure out what level of assist that is. Riding at full throttle cuts the range to under half of the advertised "pedal-assisted range" on my eBike.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 31, 2021 10:12PM
The last time I looked there were a lot of kits available on amazon and eBay to convert a conventional bike to an e-bike. The kits were surprisingly affordable. I'm sure there is a downside but thought I'd throw the idea into the ring to see what people think.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: davester
Date: March 31, 2021 11:39PM
I'm a bike nut, not an ebike nut, but I can tell you that the best overall bike forum is [www.bikeforums.net] and they have a specific ebike subform. I would go there and ask questions first.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: April 01, 2021 08:15AM
RAMd®d
I've bought three!

Wow!
Upgrades or increasing the stable?

Increasing the stable.
I feel like the Jay Leno of the e-bike world. grinning smiley

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: April 01, 2021 11:28AM
For your use, I'd have no problem going with a Rad bike. They are local to me. I know one of their c-suite execs.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 01, 2021 11:55AM
A DIY project that installs a 2 stroke engine to an old bike is more fun.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 01, 2021 02:01PM
I really like the looks of the Trek Verge+ 3, just which the diamond frame wasn't black only.

The blue of the V+ 2 is nice looking.

A DIY project that installs a 2 stroke engine to an old bike is more fun.

Fun is relative.

I can't imagine listening to the rasp of a two-stroke for any length of time.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 01, 2021 03:51PM
We noticed that Costco has an electric bike (don't know the brand) with very small wheels (maybe 14") for $350 or so. I figured they were essentially toys. Maybe so. But, we ride regularly in a national park and have seen an older couple on the bikes several times over the last couple of months. We ended at the same time on Saturday and I chatted with they guy. He says they're great. There are a couple of modest hills that my wife and I huff and puff on and he and his wife just zoom along. The guy said they're both overweight (they are...) and the bikes easily move them along. Hard to imagine that they're any good for that price, but, of course, it's Costco so you could return them until you're too embarrassed to do so!
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 01, 2021 10:56PM
What sort of real-word range we talking here, say on rails-to-trails grades, pedal assist?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2021 10:57PM by Acer.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: April 05, 2021 03:18PM
It is kind of like the mac vs. pc discussion. You can spend more, have fewer troubles and generally enjoy it more with the mac (imho, the Specialized e-bikes) or can get in cheaper. I have ridden the Rad bikes, not a huge fan. I own two of the specialized low entry Como ebikes. Love them. These are for the road/around town, not for the trail. They do ok on fire roads, but not really made for that. The Como's are pedal assist only and I highly recommend you get the ones that top out at 28mph, not the 20mph limit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020