advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need a dead simple VOIP option for someone that just wants to make calls on their cell -- is Ooma it?
Posted by: clay
Date: April 02, 2021 01:58PM
I'm helping someone that would like to have a separate number from their personal cell. They'd like to be able to publish this number, people call it, and it rings on their cell phone. And then they'd like to be able to use their cell phone to make outgoing calls that appear to come from this published number.

How seamlessly does this sort of thing work when using the Ooma app on an iPhone or Android? Is there a different solution that would work similarly well without being too complex for a very basic user?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need a dead simple VOIP option for someone that just wants to make calls on their cell -- is Ooma it?
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 02, 2021 02:07PM
You might need the Ooma Premier subscription to get all that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2021 02:07PM by Acer.
Re: Need a dead simple VOIP option for someone that just wants to make calls on their cell -- is Ooma it?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 02, 2021 02:17PM
Clay,

Google Voice will do that and more and it won’t cost a dime. Couple it with the proper VOIP box and he can even use a regular phone with it. Search the forum for Google Voice and Obihai for details.

Robert
Posted by: John B.
Date: April 02, 2021 02:31PM
Robert has it exactly right.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 02, 2021 02:38PM
Google Voice would be the quickest, easiest option.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: April 02, 2021 02:40PM
thanks...I've only ever glanced at Google voice as an option. Is there any reason you'd avoid using Google voice for business purposes? Reliability, call quality, etc?
Date: April 02, 2021 02:55PM
Clay,

I moved my number to Google Voice nearly 6 years ago. Rock solid service. My wife has a Google Voice number, too. We have a 2-line Obihai box. Each Google Voice number is affiliated with it. I have a cordless phone system connected to the port with my number. Our HP all-in-one is connected to the port for my wife's Google Voice number for use as a dedicated fax line. Occasionally we need to recertify the affiliation between the Obihai box and Google Voice but that's about it. That has nothing to do with the overall usage and reliability of Google Voice, though, which is rock solid.

Robert
Date: April 02, 2021 03:00PM
Robert M
Clay,

I moved my number to Google Voice nearly 6 years ago. Rock solid service. My wife has a Google Voice number, too. We have a 2-line Obihai box. Each Google Voice number is affiliated with it. I have a cordless phone system connected to the port with my number. Our HP all-in-one is connected to the port for my wife's Google Voice number for use as a dedicated fax line. Occasionally we need to recertify the affiliation between the Obihai box and Google Voice but that's about it. That has nothing to do with the overall usage and reliability of Google Voice, though, which is rock solid.

Robert

thanks for sharing.

For this particular user, they don't want an extra handset (beyond their cell phone) as they are frequently mobile. So perhaps not even the Obihai box + cordless phone is needed in this instance. If he can do everything on their cell phone (and computer), that is probably perfect for his needs.
Date: April 02, 2021 03:29PM
Clay,

The Obihai box and cordless phone system aren't necessities. Just nice to have. smiling smiley

Just throw the Google Voice app on the cell phone and configure it so Google Voice calls ring on it. The Google Voice calls come in and the app opens. Outgoing calls should be done on with Google Voice app. That way, the correct number will be displayed on the recipient's caller ID.

Robert
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 02, 2021 06:18PM
Only downside with Google Voice is if they travel internationally. It doesn't work everywhere.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: April 02, 2021 06:19PM
I'm very happy with GV for the number portability/convenience, but I will note a certain amount of latency on both GV and Ooma (which I also have). I think it's endemic to any VOIP. There's a clumsiness where you end up talking over the other person because of half-second delays. For that reason, I keep an old-fashioned landline, despite the nuisance robocalls, which I make most outgoing calls on.
Date: April 02, 2021 06:42PM
Mr Downtown,

You've mentioned this issue before but I've never experienced it. Not with Vonage, Ooma or Google Voice. If I have experienced it, which I doubt, apparently, it’s nothing noticeable enough that it’d be of any concern.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2021 06:55PM by Robert M.
Date: April 02, 2021 06:43PM
macphanatic,

Google Voice should work as long as someone has a wifi or data connection. Should being the operative word.

Robert
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 02, 2021 07:33PM
Remember when GV meant Global Village instead of Google Voice ? ? ?

As Rob'eM says, GV will forward calls seamlessly to a cell #, and the GV 'droid/iOS apps let you make make calls from your cellphone appearing to be from your GV #. There are other VOIP services/apps that can also do this, but to get anything nearly as seamless, you're gonna have to pay for the privilege.
==
Date: April 02, 2021 09:35PM
Robert M
macphanatic,

Google Voice should work as long as someone has a wifi or data connection. Should being the operative word.

Robert

GV calling didn’t work the last time I was out of the country. GV messaging did.
Date: April 02, 2021 10:49PM
Mac,

How were you connected? Cell only? Data? Combination? Details make the difference.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2021 10:49PM by Robert M.
Date: April 03, 2021 07:15AM
Robert M
Mac,

How were you connected? Cell only? Data? Combination? Details make the difference.

Robert

Neither cellular or Wi-Fi worked.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020