advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I have a couple of very large trees next to my house - should I call an arborist to make sure they're healthy??
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 05, 2021 11:56PM
I have a couple of towering pines within striking distance of my house, including one that is basically inches from it. Needless to say, if one of those trees fall we're in deep doo doo. I'm tempted to hire an arborist to understand what I have and to see if there's anything worry some about the situation. The tree closest to the house looks pretty sturdy but another one a few yards away looks pretty spindly.

Any thoughts on hiring an arborist?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I have a couple of very large trees next to my house - should I call an arborist to make sure they're healthy??
Posted by: timg
Date: April 06, 2021 01:09AM
We hired one a couple months ago to assess our trees. definitely worth the money we spent. we learned a lot.

if you don't know a lot about trees, it may be worth while to hire one.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Re: I have a couple of very large trees next to my house - should I call an arborist to make sure they're healthy??
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 06, 2021 04:15AM
We have a lot of trees on our property and one did fall down several years ago. We brought in an arborist to evaluate what we have and make recommendations. Now we bring him back every spring and he changes a little here and a little there to ensure all are as healthy as possible. It isn't cheap and it doesn't give us a guarantee but I feel like we've done all that we can.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 06, 2021 04:26AM
Honestly if you think your home is at risk take them down and replace them with smaller trees. Trees that are that close to your home were not maintained, the roots may chew the foundation. Pines go deep down and don’t spread that much, so that risk is low. But not zero. Landscape pines don’t usually last terribly long. (Bristlecones non withstanding).
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 06, 2021 06:47AM
.....can you just sign a....tree....ty.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 06, 2021 07:45AM
Check to see if your county has a "county extension agent" or something similar. I remember we used to be able to call and they would come out and assess things to do with environmental issues, like soil quality and other things. I have no idea if such a thing exists where you are, but it might and could possibly save you some money.
With any large trees next to the house, it is good to make sure they are healthy, before they cause a problem, so getting an expert opinion is probably a good idea.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 06, 2021 07:51AM
Just make sure not to let your homeowners insurance expire and you’ll be fine.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 06, 2021 08:03AM
as someone who has seen the post tree damage several times in our very treed neighborhood.

HELL YEA!

Neighbor had an 80 footer that was 6' from their house drop in the last storm.
Literally, missed taking out the whole house in the middle of the night by inches. Ripped up a deep 12' circle in the yard.

Another around the bend fell across the road and blocked passage for a week.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: rz
Date: April 06, 2021 09:10AM
rgG
Check to see if your county has a "county extension agent" or something similar. I remember we used to be able to call and they would come out and assess things to do with environmental issues, like soil quality and other things. I have no idea if such a thing exists where you are, but it might and could possibly save you some money.
With any large trees next to the house, it is good to make sure they are healthy, before they cause a problem, so getting an expert opinion is probably a good idea.

This is good advice. I live within city limits and was able to get the city to assess a tree that had had a limb fall across the neighbor's yard. That made the tree imbalanced, meaning it was at risk of eventually falling... right over our house. It was a HUGE oak tree. Imagine about 6 people with their arms outstretched making a circle around the tree. An arborist quoted us $3K to take it down (this was 15 years ago). But because about one foot of the edge of the tree was within the city's easement, the city took it down for free. I cut up firewood from one limb alone, and I still have about half a cord of it left.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: April 06, 2021 04:10PM
I had 2 36" diameter very healthy blue spruce next to my house. I had been cutting off branches overhanging on my roof (2 story colonial) the last 15 years or so. I just decided I was not going to risk a big windstorm or roots moving my basement wall. About 5 years ago I had them cut down and the stumps ground up. Two years ago my neighbor had a huge box elder tree split and fall on his house roof during a heavy rain/windstorm. He got to spend a month in a motel waiting for the insurance company to authorize a repair bid and then the contractor to do the work.

I (my insurance) would have been paying for basically a rebuild of my other neighbor's house from that windstorm if the trees were still there.

I would not take any chances with those trees. You can always plant 2 more in their place and let the next owner take them down again in 40 years.

mattkime
I have a couple of towering pines within striking distance of my house, including one that is basically inches from it. Needless to say, if one of those trees fall we're in deep doo doo. I'm tempted to hire an arborist to understand what I have and to see if there's anything worry some about the situation. The tree closest to the house looks pretty sturdy but another one a few yards away looks pretty spindly.

Any thoughts on hiring an arborist?

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 06, 2021 06:53PM
.....if the trees are a rockin'.......don't come a knockin'.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 155
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020