Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mummies on parade!
Posted by: DP
Date: April 06, 2021 09:18AM
Egypt mummies pass through Cairo in ancient rulers' parade

Egyptians have been witnessing a historic procession of their country's ancient rulers through the capital, Cairo.

The lavish, multimillion-dollar spectacle saw 22 mummies - 18 kings and four queens - transported from the peach-coloured, neo-classical Egyptian Museum to their new resting place 5km (three miles) away.

With tight security arrangements befitting their royal blood and status as national treasures, the mummies were relocated to the new National Museum of Egyptian Civilisation in what is called The Pharaohs' Golden Parade.

They were transported with great fanfare in chronological order of their reigns - from the 17th Dynasty ruler, Seqenenre Taa II, to Ramses IX, who reigned in the 12th Century BC.

Egypt experienced a sharp rise in Covid-19 infections a year ago, but following a decline in the number of cases and deaths, restrictions on open-air gatherings were later lifted.

The new exhibits will now be housed in the Royal Hall of Mummies and will go on display to the general public from 18 April.

The hall has been designed so that visitors will experience the illusion of being in the Valley of the Kings in Luxor.

Separately, a new Grand Egyptian Museum which will house the famous Tutankhamun collection is due to open next year, close to the Great Pyramids at Giza.

'Curse of the pharaohs'

While it is being seen as a grand - and even fun - event, Egypt's mummies have historically been associated with superstition and foreboding.

Recently, Egypt has had a string of disasters. Last week alone dozens of people were killed in a train crash in Sohag, Upper Egypt, while at least 18 people died when a building collapsed in Cairo.

[www.bbc.com]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mummies on parade!
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 06, 2021 11:35AM
I saw that on the news the other night. I thought the modified vehicles were a hoot.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: lost in space
Date: April 06, 2021 03:51PM
Born in Arizona, moved to Caledonia . . . .

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 06, 2021 04:30PM
they are desperate to revive tourism. Egyptian economy depends on it.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 06, 2021 08:45PM
lost in space
Born in Arizona, moved to Caledonia . . . .

That's what I thought of, too! But it's Babylonia.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020