advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
not 'Joss'hing?!....more details on Joss Whedon, allegedly threatened Gal Gadot's career......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 06, 2021 10:15AM
....more details coming out on Joss Whedon's bad behavior.....he allegedly threatened Gal Gadot's career and told her to 'shut up and say the lines' [ yes, I get some of you really don't care but for many he was an 'icon' and seeing the real him is shocking ].......

Joss Whedon Reportedly Threatened to Harm Gal Gadot’s Career During ‘Justice League’ Clash

Whedon allegedly told star Gadot that "he's the writer and she's going to shut up and say the lines."

....Over the last year, “Justice League” star Ray Fisher has used social media to speak out against both the film’s reshoot director Joss Whedon and Warner Bros. executives, but he’s now given his first full sit-down interview on the matter with The Hollywood Reporter. Included in the lengthy Fisher profile are details expanding on the allegedly fraught relationship between Whedon and Fisher’s “Justice League” co-star Gal Gadot.

The “Wonder Woman” actress said in December 2020 that her experience with Whedon was “not the best one,” and now THR reports that, per “a knowledgable source,” Gadot “had multiple concerns with the revised version” of “Justice League.”

The THR report claims that sources shared that “the biggest clash … came when Whedon pushed Gadot to record lines she didn’t like, threatened to harm Gadot’s career and disparaged ‘Wonder Woman’ director Patty Jenkins. While Fisher declines to discuss any of what transpired with Gadot, a witness on the production who later spoke to investigators says that after one clash, ‘Joss was bragging that he’s had it out with Gal. He told her he’s the writer and she’s going to shut up and say the lines and he can make her look incredibly stupid in this movie.'”

One source also told the outlet that Gadot had “issues about her character being more aggressive than her character in ‘Wonder Woman.’ She wanted to make the character flow from one movie to the next.”

Gadot and Jenkins allegedly “went to battle” against Whedon, resulting in a meeting with then-Warner Bros Entertainment CEO Kevin Tsujihara. Gadot said in a statement to THR: “I had my issues with [Whedon] and Warner Bros. handled it in a timely manner.” IndieWire has reached out to representatives for Whedon, Gadot, and Warner Bros. for further comment.

The Fisher profile also includes new details about the Cyborg actor’s battles with Whedon and Warner Bros. executives. One point of contention between Fisher and executive Geoff Johns was over Cyborg’s physical appearance, with Johns allegedly telling Fisher to “play the character less like Frankenstein and more like the kindhearted Quasimodo.” The infamous Cyborg line “booyah” in the Whedon cut was also allegedly a source of some tension.

Per THR: “Fisher says that Johns had approached [original ‘Justice League’ director Zack] Snyder about including the line, but the director didn’t want any catchphrases. He managed the situation by putting the word on some signs in his version of the film, as an Easter egg. But Johns’ rep says the entire studio believed the booyah line was ‘a fun moment of synergy.'”

Fisher told THR that including the catchphrase in the live-action “Justice League” recalled “Black characters in pop culture with defining phrases: Gary Coleman’s ‘Whatchoo talkin’ ’bout, Willis?’; Jimmie Walker’s ‘Dy-no-mite!'” Fisher noted that no one else in “Justice League” had a catchphrase and that “it seemed weird to have the only Black character say that.”

the news.....gets worse........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2021 10:42AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: not 'Joss'hing?!....more details on Joss Whedon, allegedly threatened Gal Godot......
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: April 06, 2021 10:32AM
...the f&$*#r... he will have to pay for that offense... too
smiley-excited001

So, I have not seen Justice League yet.
Can I watch the first edition? Or should I skip it and go for the 4hr version?
I’ll get too it whenever I manage to catch Batman and Batman vs Superman...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2021 10:36AM by rich in distress.
Re: not 'Joss'hing?!....more details on Joss Whedon, allegedly threatened Gal Gadot's career......
Date: April 06, 2021 10:39AM
......the original was bad [ imho ].....most say the 'Snyder' version has more 'clarity' but it is 4 hours long.....if you haven't seen the original.....see the Snyder version first.....

Re: not 'Joss'hing?!....more details on Joss Whedon, allegedly threatened Gal Gadot's career......
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 06, 2021 11:19AM
directors and actors, man....

I can't speak to the dynamics, but I kind of always thought the actor's job was to 'shut up and say the lines' and emote as directed by that person with the loud voice. Everything else is as negotiated.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 06, 2021 11:21AM
I think JW is going to lose an argument with WW...
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: April 06, 2021 01:57PM
Will do. Thanks!!
Still working on Marvel. Ragnarok is overdue haha...
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 06, 2021 03:14PM
Gal, I’ll call you. There’s something straight I want to get between us.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 06, 2021 03:22PM
cbelt3
directors and actors, man....

I can't speak to the dynamics, but I kind of always thought the actor's job was to 'shut up and say the lines' and emote as directed by that person with the loud voice. Everything else is as negotiated.

One source also told the outlet that Gadot had “issues about her character being more aggressive than her character in ‘Wonder Woman.’ She wanted to make the character flow from one movie to the next.”

I agree - and what the hell is this? She wants to rewrite her character so suit her career desires?

It's all gossip hearsay, so I'm not going to get worked up about this...
Posted by: August West
Date: April 06, 2021 03:24PM

Successful filmmaking requires tremendous collaboration. It's true that the director is ultimately responsible, and most particularly with the actors' performances, but you can't alienate everyone and you need to be open to creative ideas. Piss people off and they can mess with your craft service. slap smiley

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 06, 2021 03:52PM
Negotiations between top talent actors and directors are common. If you piss off your actors, they are within their contractual rights to 'phone in' their performance and ruin the film, which hurts the director. Feeling that your character is being mishandled or rewritten to be something you didn't agree to is a legitimate beef for an actor, even if they don't hold all the cards.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 06, 2021 04:48PM
rjmacs
Negotiations between top talent actors and directors are common. If you piss off your actors, they are within their contractual rights to 'phone in' their performance and ruin the film, which hurts the director. Feeling that your character is being mishandled or rewritten to be something you didn't agree to is a legitimate beef for an actor, even if they don't hold all the cards.

Even more so when an actor is being asked to embody a particular character over several films with different Directors.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 06, 2021 08:55PM
A spoiled prima donna diva attitude on either side of the director/actor relationship (and it should be one)
results in a bad movie.

A director is paid to direct, but that doesn't make him or her good at the job.

A good director gets the best performance out of an actor, and I imagine that seldom happens with a "shut up and say the lines" approach.

Whedon clearly didn't have any respect for Gadot and other actors, and wasn't shy about letting anyone know it.

Sounds like a mediocre director to me, and a Dick of a person, in general.

Four hours is a little long for a movie, unless it's really entertaining, like a movie about the Empire State building.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 06, 2021 10:06PM
RAMd®d
A spoiled prima donna diva attitude on either side of the director/actor relationship (and it should be one)
results in a bad movie.

A director is paid to direct, but that doesn't make him or her good at the job.

A good director gets the best performance out of an actor, and I imagine that seldom happens with a "shut up and say the lines" approach.

Whedon clearly didn't have any respect for Gadot and other actors, and wasn't shy about letting anyone know it.

Sounds like a mediocre director to me, and a Dick of a person, in general.

Four hours is a little long for a movie, unless it's really entertaining, like a movie about the Empire State building.

There's a lot coming out about the restraints the studio put on Whedon. He's a superb "fixer" but he wasn't allowed to do his usual polish on the script, do the scenes he wanted in the way that he wanted to shoot them, or make the final cut he was looking for.

Much of the blame for the fiasco -- including the cuts to Ray Fisher's character's backstory that were blamed on Whedon -- can be laid at the feet of the a-holes running the studio and what they thought they had to do to make a billion dollars by focusing on an imaginary white middle-aged middle-American male audience and Chinese government-censors.

Looks like Whedon took his anger at this out on the actors. And made bad-product.

And then when they needed a fall-guy, the studio geared up their publicity machine to drop the whole thing on him.

No excuse for being such a royal sonofabitch -- and he's clearly got a long history of abusive behavior towards a mostly-female subset of actors in his employ -- but it puts it in a slightly different perspective.

I don't know why he didn't just walk off the set. In hindsight, that would have been the best choice for him.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 07, 2021 01:04PM
Sarcany

I don't know why he didn't just walk off the set. In hindsight, that would have been the best choice for him.

Like he did with 'The Nevers'?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 07, 2021 01:46PM
rjmacs
Sarcany

Like he did with 'The Nevers'?

No. Although he claimed that it was fatigue and the pandemic, it's most likely that he left The Nevers because he wanted it to succeed and it wasn't going anywhere with his name prominently attached.

Also of note: Not everyone in the fold thought he was an ass.
[screenrant.com]

Date: April 07, 2021 01:52PM
.....it was well known that he had a 'circle' of friends.......that he treated 'extra' well......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020