advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Experience and opinions of Cologuard to test for colon cancer.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 06, 2021 11:33AM
I have Medicare which would pay for a conventional screen, but I am very physically uncomfortable with the blood disease I have and would rather eschew all the rigamarole of the regular test. I'm pretty sure if the Cologuard test is positive, you have to get the real test.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Experience and opinions of Cologuard to test for colon cancer.
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 06, 2021 12:05PM
Did it once. Gross, but beats prepping for the real one. It was easy to use. And yes, if anything shows up, you'll need the real one. Protip: Get hemorrhoids under control before using. Blood in the sample will flag you for follow-up.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 06, 2021 04:40PM
.....colo.......rectal......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 06, 2021 04:59PM
My mom died from colon cancer so, that leaves me out of a "quickee-test". I generally get "scoped" about every three years. so far, so good. old fogey smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 06, 2021 05:18PM
....I know it can be a.......bum.....mer......but one just needs to do the colonoscopy route, especially if at high risk [ past a certain age or if it runs in your family ].......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2021 05:38PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 06, 2021 05:38PM
Test of a marriage...carrying your spouses poop sample through the UPS store for drop-off. It's not a plain wrapped box, it has the big ColoGuard logos. I didn't wait for a receipt...dropped and skedaddled.

ColoGuard is super expensive too...our insurance only covered a small part.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: April 06, 2021 05:50PM
Markintosh
Test of a marriage...carrying your spouses poop sample through the UPS store for drop-off. It's not a plain wrapped box, it has the big ColoGuard logos. I didn't wait for a receipt...dropped and skedaddled.

ColoGuard is super expensive too...our insurance only covered a small part.

My niece had just begun as a Nurse Practitioner when a man she barely knew met her in the parking lot as she was arriving to work. He had a baby food jar packed with crap. It was from his wife. He asked my niece to check it for worms.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 06, 2021 06:59PM
Dennis S
My niece had just begun as a Nurse Practitioner when a man she barely knew met her in the parking lot as she was arriving to work. He had a baby food jar packed with crap. It was from his wife. He asked my niece to check it for worms.

Did it have worms?

Date: April 06, 2021 07:17PM
mattkime
Dennis S

Did it have worms?

She didn't take it.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 06, 2021 07:24PM
They advertise A LOT which is always my first red flag.

Every colonoscopy I've had has found polyps that were removed during the procedure.

I'm not sure of their specifics but their commercials say that it can detect 92% of cancer. Detecting cancer seems way too late, the colonoscopy detects polyps before they become cancer.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 06, 2021 08:46PM
I've done it, as an alternative to colonoscopy under current corona conditions. It really wasn't that bad, and only slightly gross. And yes, it's got a 92% accuracy -- so it can potentially give false positives and false negatives. That being said, the results are good for two years, according to my doc. So no colonoscopy for me for at least another year or so, and even then I might go for the Cologuard over a colonoscopy. (Yes, it could miss something, but I would think that repeated negative results are fairly comforting.)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 56
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020