advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
who wears short shorts?!.....oh noes, COVID causing another item shortage......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 06, 2021 05:08PM
.....ketchup shortage.......prices will go up.......

.........so don't throw away the free packets that you get from McDonalds'/Shake Shack.....etc. [ if you are a hoarder, you are making out like a bandit ].....save them [ for a rainy day ]......they may have to ration them like they did with other items during 'the War'.........

A ketchup shortage in the US is causing prices to spike - and it could get harder to find ketchup packets at restaurants

Over the past year, an increase in take-out orders has caused ketchup sales to spike.

At the beginning of the pandemic, ketchup sales were up over 300% from the previous year.

Kraft Heinz is working to keep up with the increase in demand by streamlining its process.

......The COVID-19 pandemic has wreaked havoc on the global supply chain, causing shortages of toilet paper, Peloton bikes, and computer chips. Ketchup packets are its latest casualty, according to a new report by The Wall Street Journal.

Kraft Heinz confirmed the ketchup shortage to Insider. Steve Cornell, the company's president, told Insider that demand for ketchup has outstripped supplies.

Some shoppers told The Journal the popular condiment has already become a difficult item to get at drive-thrus, comparing it to searching for hand sanitizer or toilet paper at the onset of the pandemic.

In July, CNN reported ketchup packets and other single-use items could soon be in short supply. Sales of the packets spiked 300% in the beginning of 2020 from the previous year, according to FoodServiceDirect.com.

The ketchup shortage can largely be attributed to the ever-changing role of restaurants in the pandemic.

Because of restrictions on restaurants offering sit-down dining during the pandemic, many have pivoted to offering takeout instead - a move that has significantly increased the demand for condiments in individual-portion sizes. Some restaurants that can offer on-site dining have opted not to use communal bottles, which are high-frequency touch points, to single-serve packets.

More people have also been eating at home, meaning that the hospitality industry is also competing with increased domestic demand for ketchup.

so don't use them to......splotch on people who wear white shirts........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2021 05:16PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: who wears short shorts?!.....oh noes, COVID causing another item shortage......
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 06, 2021 05:28PM
Good, ketchup packets are incredibly wasteful. Unless you are in a hotel room or on the road, everyone should have basic condiments at home. You don't need catchup packets with your McDonalds Door Dash.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Re: who wears short shorts?!.....oh noes, COVID causing another item shortage......
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 06, 2021 06:44PM
Try as I might, I can't get some of the local places -- like the local Chinese restaurants -- to *not* give me plastic forks & spoons and packets of sauces I don't want/need (I have what I need at home).

The fast food places aren't a problem; you have to all but fight them for extra packets of sauce, at least in my experience.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 06, 2021 07:02PM
Because of restrictions on restaurants offering sit-down dining during the pandemic, many have pivoted to offering takeout instead

Really sounds opposite to me. Restaurants were closed and then were opened. But were drive-through windows ever closed??
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 06, 2021 07:06PM
Zoidberg
Try as I might, I can't get some of the local places -- like the local Chinese restaurants -- to *not* give me plastic forks & spoons and packets of sauces I don't want/need (I have what I need at home).

I have a big bag full of the plastic utensils in my pantry. If you figure out how to make a better use of them than throwing them in the trash, please let me know. smiling smiley
If I am taking my food home, I am not eating with a plastic fork. I hate plastic forks. Lol.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 06, 2021 07:27PM
Many restaurants are going with single serve condiments for in person dining.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 06, 2021 07:29PM
Kraft Heinz confirmed the ketchup shortage to Insider. Steve Cornell, the
company's president, told Insider that demand for ketchup has
outstripped supplies.

"That a Boy Steve"

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: decay
Date: April 06, 2021 08:42PM

---
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 06, 2021 09:39PM
deckeda
Because of restrictions on restaurants offering sit-down dining during the pandemic, many have pivoted to offering takeout instead

Really sounds opposite to me. Restaurants were closed and then were opened. But were drive-through windows ever closed??

Many restaurants that were closed were sit-down dining only pre-COVID, and opened up some form of takeout to be open at all. Many of those which already had takeout or drive-through windows ended up with a balance that was much less sit-down.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 07, 2021 12:08AM
You mean the average person doesn't keep a 28 Oz bottle in their glovebox like I do?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 50
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020