advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Likes the "idea" of engineering, but not necessarily creating things. Any parents of teens wanna check in here?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 06, 2021 07:17PM
I'm chalking up his interest in a desire to be challenged, possibly even to look for solutions, less so to create stuff.

I'm talking about my 18 yr old who has one more semester of H.S. and not much interest in applying to college. He's bright. Straight A's. We've been flooded for well over a year from recruiters. A nearby community college purportedly has a good engineering program. University is not in the budget.

Likes the idea of maybe being an aerospace engineer yet has no hobbies or interests related to planes/rockets/NASA nor anything similar.

But if someone would pay him to one day build a frikken' X-Wing that would be great.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Likes the "idea" of engineering, but not necessarily creating things. Any parents of teens wanna check in here?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 06, 2021 07:58PM
What does he do a lot of?
What does he like to do?
Re: Likes the "idea" of engineering, but not necessarily creating things. Any parents of teens wanna check in here?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 06, 2021 08:05PM
Sounds like a talk with a few recruiters may be a consideration. He will need to take an ASVAB test to see what he would qualify for, but if his scores line up with his interests that could be a solid route. The air force would be my first thought, but all the branches have air units. Don't laugh, but Space Force is snatching up some very bright young people and would position him for a future from the ground floor.

As far as straight-up engineering and aerospace, Embry Riddle is one of the best schools.

Don't worry, he isn't the first high school senior to be clueless about what comes next.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: April 06, 2021 08:18PM
Went to Embry Riddle myself. Not a traditional school in the social sense (almost all males), but it’s got a good engineering program that’s for sure. If he goes the engineering route, be prepared for a lot of advanced math and science courses, it’s enough to intimidate anyone out of the career path. But if he loves the idea of working in that field then tell him to persist (those courses are vital, and one day (maybe we’ll after he graduates) that knowledge will become second nature, as basic arithmetic).
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 06, 2021 08:33PM
I liked the idea of computer programming when I was in HS. Took a college level Programming classes and a calculus class and gave that up in a hurry. Switched over to an IT/Database/System admin type of program and was MUCH happier.

I think that taking some core level engineering classes from a community college could inexpensively determine if that is something he wants to really pursue or not.

Otherwise lots of choices, but don't fall into the trap of taking out massive amounts of student loans.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: April 06, 2021 08:55PM
Might there be any interest in serving in AmeriCorps?

With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I would have been more open to the idea of taking on some student debt to go on to a doctoral program. Working one or two years as a university professor would have taken care of that debt.

As it turned out, it's been a pretty varied (and interesting) career.

Todd's multifaceted keyboard
Posted by: August West
Date: April 06, 2021 09:49PM
Carnos said it; start the math and science and measure determination and direction.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 06, 2021 09:50PM
Gap year? 9 months working in a field of interest, and 3 months traveling?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 06, 2021 10:29PM
Finding “the spark” is hard. Community college is a great place to “find yourself” at a reasonable cost.

I would not look at the military... that takes a pretty significant commitment and focus to be successful.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 07, 2021 08:52AM
Took me a marriage and some grunt jobs to realize that I wanted to be a photographer AND make money at it. I got my Bachelor's twelve years after high school!

We need plumbers, carpenters, electricians-all manner of trades where a brain can "use" engineering skills. And he can make some very good money at it. We know these jobs are in big demand right now and if the notion of having your own business strikes him, well, I know a plumber who lives in a neighborhood with big company execs, doctors, etc.

We need to stop thinking of trades as what you do if you don't go to college...

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 07, 2021 09:20AM
DP

We need plumbers, carpenters, electricians-all manner of trades where a brain can "use" engineering skills. And he can make some very good money at it. We know these jobs are in big demand right now and if the notion of having your own business strikes him, well, I know a plumber who lives in a neighborhood with big company execs, doctors, etc.

We need to stop thinking of trades as what you do if you don't go to college...

Good point. Someone who has an inclination for engineering might really enjoy doing designs for solar installations, which I expect is in demand.
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 07, 2021 12:10PM
deckeda
...A nearby community college purportedly has a good engineering program. University is not in the budget.
Sounds like a perfect "get your feet wet" kind of solution.

deckeda
Likes the idea of maybe being an aerospace engineer yet has no hobbies or interests related to planes/rockets/NASA nor anything similar.

My son thought he wanted to be a pilot after graduation. Toured a small campus specializing in that and enjoyed it, but never really pursued activities that led me to think he'd follow through. Thought about the Air Force for flight training, but while his smarts would have cut it, his vision would have been an impairment. Then he (and I) looked thoroughly into the pitiful pay, hours and benefits for beginning pilots. Yikes. BTW, the school he toured went out of business a few years later.

He always liked building Legos and things like that. He wound up going to a state college and took some engineering courses. He liked it enough that he ended up doing their 5 year Masters program, got his Masters in EE and has been working as a hardware engineer for Dell since he graduated.

That Community College option might be a good idea for your son, if only to see if he likes the kind of learning involved. Then he can pursue it or not. In the meantime, he'll have some foundation from which to proceed, no matter which direction he goes.
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 07, 2021 12:15PM
Also, on an only slightly unrelated note...

To Diversify Staffs, Some Employers Drop Degree Requirements
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 07, 2021 12:54PM
deckeda
...engineering, but not necessarily creating things.

deckeda
...not much interest in applying to college.

deckeda
University is not in the budget.

deckeda
Likes the idea of maybe being an aerospace engineer...

You've got some serious incompatibilities there.

Not going to be any kind of high-end, licensed "engineer" - aerospace or otherwise - without a college degree.

Perhaps some variety of mechanic or stationary engineer, which can be very challenging?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 09, 2021 12:19AM
Let him have a year of working and paying bills on a HS degree. That might encourage him.

Does he like to work with his hands? No dishonor in a trade school.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020