The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
interesting read - covid sequencing
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 06, 2021 07:54PM
[www.nytimes.com]

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: interesting read - covid sequencing
Posted by: Don C
Date: April 06, 2021 11:09PM
I sure am glad that there are people who understand this stuff.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 06, 2021 11:34PM
It's good that we can sequence a virus genome in a day, but the article raises the specter of the fact that technology isn't inherently good OR bad, it's the use we put it to that makes it so. For example, to sequence an entire person's genome quickly and cheaply isn't necessarily something I think we should all be wanting. Yes, I know it's the direction we're definitely heading (towards personalized genomic medicine), but that doesn't make it good or right.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 07, 2021 12:29AM
100% agree.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 07, 2021 11:55AM
Can't read for paywall link but like Peter says, how will it be used? As I said in another thread, pharma is seeing $$$$ and is all too happy to cash in on those who will expect/demand to be inoculated against every viral threat.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 07, 2021 01:01PM
Before you get your genome sequenced, read the fine print and the privacy policy very carefully..... This includes 23&Me, Ancestry, and NatGeo kits, etc. Once it's out there, it's out there.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 07, 2021 04:33PM
rjmacs
Before you get your genome sequenced, read the fine print and the privacy policy very carefully..... This includes 23&Me, Ancestry, and NatGeo kits, etc. Once it's out there, it's out there.

That's just it. If the data could truly be kept private, that would be one thing. But even if you had a company with complete moral scruples and absolutely promised to keep your data private under all conditions, you could still get something like a hack.

I have a brother who likely has an undiagnosed genetic condition, for whom it might make sense to do whole genome sequencing to see what's there, but... once his DNA becomes available and is out there somehow, not only does it pose a privacy risk for him, but for our entire family too... just because your own personal DNA isn't in the database, doesn't mean you cannot be identified on the basis of DNA: [www.nytimes.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020