advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Reliable land line telephone?
Posted by: clyde
Date: April 06, 2021 08:27PM
Need a reliable land-line phone. Any known good ones?

Lot of them on ebay, but quality not known…
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Reliable land line telephone?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 06, 2021 08:28PM
....what about good will or salvation army.....???

.....many get rid of older phones and you can get it cheap.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: clyde
Date: April 06, 2021 08:39PM
Have struck out @ Goodwill & SA so far, but will persist
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 06, 2021 08:59PM
Something manufactured by Western Electric, they were extremely reliable. Not sure if current POTS service provides enough power to still ring their bells.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 06, 2021 09:00PM
I suspect any physical telephone will be reliable; it's the line that's the problem. The problem is that the pair of wires in your home most likely does not terminate at the DCO. Instead, it probably terminates at a fiber optic multiplexer in your neighborhood, and the fiber terminates at the DCO.

Back in the glory days of POTS, dial central offices were basically bullet proof with respect to power outages. The had massive battery backup, and multiple diesel generators with a huge underground fuel tank. They could literally survive WWIII.

The mux in your local neighborhood might last an hour or two if you're lucky.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 06, 2021 09:17PM
I've used a Panasonic wireless system for ages.

The handsets use rechargeable HR03 Ni-MH AAA batts instead of proprietary battery-packs, so I swap in new batteries every 4-5 years.

Costs something like $15 bucks to replace the batteries on all of the handsets.

The base-station can draw power from its handset during a blackout so I still have phone-service.

Posted by: jonny
Date: April 06, 2021 10:04PM
I've had this on my desk for years. Reliable, classic, and power outage resistant.
[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2021 10:06PM by jonny.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 06, 2021 10:04PM
Something made with real metal so you can slam it down with that "klunk" like we did in the olden days!
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 06, 2021 10:25PM
The base-station can draw power from its handset during a blackout so I still have phone-service.

Interesting. I had an ATT phone that had AA cells in the base and also in handsets. Once in a while I rotated the cells between base and handsets. But I never saw one that could draw power from handset.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 06, 2021 10:33PM
jonny
I've had this on my desk for years. Reliable, classic, and power outage resistant.
[www.amazon.com]

That's pretty much what I had as well, and yes, very reliable. I also had the Radio Shack "naked" phone, which was also pretty reliable. Similar to this one, except with a red cord, and very cool because it would both light up and ring (with a REAL bell, not electronic!): [www.ebay.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Don C
Date: April 06, 2021 10:38PM
I have several rotary phones. The oldest one required a separate bell because the original one no longer works. The Pink one from when my parents moved to Wisconsin in 1963 has four digits printed on the dial.

We ran wire for them when we moved here in 2016 and were told that they would not be serviced for much longer. I cancelled the service last month. Got calls from the family for a while, but more recently all calls have been nobody there or solicitations. 12 year old grandson was completely flummoxed when asked to use it to call his dad (he rotated the zero hole to the number instead of the number hole to the finger stop).
Date: April 06, 2021 10:47PM
PeterB
jonny
[www.amazon.com]

That's pretty much what I had as well, and yes, very reliable. I also had the Radio Shack "naked" phone, which was also pretty reliable. Similar to this one, except with a red cord, and very cool because it would both light up and ring (with a REAL bell, not electronic!): [www.ebay.com]

That reminds me of this bad boy we had growing up! [www.worthpoint.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2021 10:48PM by jonny.
Date: April 06, 2021 10:51PM
space-time

Interesting. I had an ATT phone that had AA cells in the base and also in handsets. Once in a while I rotated the cells between base and handsets. But I never saw one that could draw power from handset.

The feature is called "Power Back-Up Operation." A lot of the high-end Panasonic cordless phone systems have it.

And the talking caller ID is nice, too.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 07, 2021 08:13AM
2nd Panas. Had them for decades.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 07, 2021 08:37AM
I have one of these bad boys, from the 1960's. My dad used to install central office equipment for Stromberg-Carlson, for 35 years. We had lots of phones, lol. I kept this one, even though I no longer have a POTS line in our new home. You had to have a separate ringer, as there wasn't one in the phone itself, not enough room, I guess. The only problem with the Ericaphone, was it was VERY easy to bump that big red button the bottom and accidentally hang up. smiley-shocked003
I still think it is one of the coolest phone designs ever.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 07, 2021 08:50AM
wow! Right out of Our Man Flint.
I can see James Coburn picking it up.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 07, 2021 09:14AM
Sarcany
I've used a Panasonic wireless system for ages.

The handsets use rechargeable HR03 Ni-MH AAA batts instead of proprietary battery-packs, so I swap in new batteries every 4-5 years.

Costs something like $15 bucks to replace the batteries on all of the handsets.

This.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 07, 2021 09:39AM
Sarcany and DP,

Which model? I'm in the market for another Panasonic cordless phone system to use with one of the lines at my office. A model whose base station can draw juice from its handset is a nice feature. Definitely would like it if feasible.

Robert
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 07, 2021 11:55AM
Robert M
Sarcany and DP,

Which model? I'm in the market for another Panasonic cordless phone system to use with one of the lines at my office. A model whose base station can draw juice from its handset is a nice feature. Definitely would like it if feasible.

Robert

I know that the 5 handset model that Costco sells in-store has those features. AA sized rechargeable batteries that you can replace with conventional AA's after the charge runs out during power failures, base station powered by handset, talking CallerID, call blocking, and more.

[www.costco.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2021 12:05PM by GGD.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 07, 2021 02:31PM

I've got an older Panasonic cordless that does that, too.

I have an old 900MHz Sony that had a rechargeable battery in both the handset and base.

Now I have two Bell brand phones that don't need batteries and are powered by the POTS lines.

They work during a power failure, as long as it takes, while the Panasonic is good for a few hours, four maybe.

Less if used, LOL.

But the handset batteries are two rechargable AAs, so they're easily and quickly replaceable.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: April 07, 2021 03:03PM
Robert M
Sarcany and DP,

Which model?

Inevitably, the more expensive ones.

...Mine are getting old and don't perfectly correspond to current models. Just check the spec's on any set that looks decent.

I did a quick scan on Amazon and there are several Panasonic phone systems that list the feature in the spec's on Amazon's product-page, tho it's sometimes just called "Battery Backup" in the description.

Date: April 07, 2021 03:22PM
There's a bunch of refurbs on Amazon for 34.99.

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: pqrst
Date: April 08, 2021 11:24AM
I bought one of these off of Amazon. It is a great copy of the old reliable. Even has a bell that sounds like a mechanicsl one. Good sound

Cortelco 250044-VBA-20MD 1-Handset Landline Telephone, ash
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: April 08, 2021 12:42PM
I have a box full of old heavyweight phones from the 1960s-70s. Some 2500 sets, even a dial wallphone. Another box full of two-line office desk sets from the 1990s. DM me if you want something.
Posted by: Cary
Date: April 08, 2021 07:21PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020