advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I hate these Peloton commercials...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 06, 2021 10:22PM
... they're really annoying, and I know I'm not the only one to notice it. But then there's this one:

[www.ispot.tv]

... I love the cat in this one. Every time it shows up on TV (which is often), I only pay attention to see the cat. grinning smiley emoticon-animal-004

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2021 10:22PM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I hate these Peloton commercials...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 06, 2021 10:27PM
I hate the idea of luxury exercise equipment with an expensive subscription. And I hate the idea that people will buy it and not even care about the monthly cost.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 06, 2021 10:40PM
cbelt3
I hate the idea of luxury exercise equipment with an expensive subscription. And I hate the idea that people will buy it and not even care about the monthly cost.

I love the idea that people will buy it and not even care about the monthly cost. Because people like that keep the economy propped up while I'm a penny pinching curmudgeon. This past year was the proof of what I've been saying for a decade now, that if everyone was as lackadaisical with spending like I am, the economy would be in the toilet.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 06, 2021 11:07PM
C'mon PeterB! FEEL THE BURN!! YEAH. 5... 4... 3... 2... 1!!

SHAKE IT OUT!
Date: April 06, 2021 11:17PM
vision63

SHAKE IT OUT!

There's a special place in hell for these commercials ... Peloton took a lot of heat last year for that terrible one with the husband buying the Peloton for his already-very-thin-and-healthy-looking wife.

Date: April 07, 2021 01:07AM
PeterB
vision63

SHAKE IT OUT!

There's a special place in hell for these commercials ... Peloton took a lot of heat last year for that terrible one with the husband buying the Peloton for his already-very-thin-and-healthy-looking wife.

He wanted her to be even foxier.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 07, 2021 03:26AM
...because they make me want to buy one.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: April 07, 2021 04:14AM
PeterB

Does your "special place in hell" have anything to say about the tens of millions of people who may actually enjoy and strive for an active lifestyle? It was a freakin' commercial. The conclusions about the ficticious and barely existant husband are yours (or those of the folks who influenced you in some sort article or a social media post). Society tells us that all things fitness are about weight loss and being skinny, but strength and wellness and goals and feeling good about yourself can be a thing too! For a lot of people it's a top priority.

Sorry to be short, but I'm a little put off when people question people spending money on their health—wasted or not. That's not for you to decide. Do you scoff at what it takes for someone to own a pet? To take trips with family? Plenty of room to save money there, eh?

I'm no Peloton apologist, and I admit the message in the commerical was awkward. But it did reflect the experience of many of its fans, and you will find a hard time finding those that aren't happy with their choice.

Meanwhile DeBeers and the December to Remember luxury car companies can do the real dirty work by pandering to the guilty and insecure. But let's leave them alone and take shots at people spending $40/mo to improve their health and feel good about themselves. Whatever.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 07, 2021 07:31AM
It seems to a lot of people, such as myself, like a ridiculous way to exercise. Go outside, walk, run, cycle, etc. I guess if you want a gym membership without the necessity of going to a gym, and you have a huge home with space for your Peloton, and lots of disposable income, it makes some sort of sense.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 07, 2021 07:57AM
My wife asked me to setup a home gym so she wouldn't have to travel to the local gym every day. It saves quite a bit of time to exercise at home. We have a good quality treadmill, exercise bike, a rack of free weights, a nice set of resistance bands with mounts on the wall, a punching bag and a nice tv on the wall for exercise video's. She started with youtube video's but a few months ago I bought a subscription to Apple Fitness and we have both enjoyed it.

If I was just looking at the expense I would say the investment equals about 2.5-3yrs at the gym but the big benefit for us is convenience and the ability to do exactly what we want daily. We definitely get more workouts by having the home gym.
Posted by: decay
Date: April 07, 2021 08:21AM
Imagine having the extra space for an exercise room.

We don't.

---
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 07, 2021 09:50AM
All the better argument for why I ditched cable TV about, what, 7 years ago. Nothing but streaming services.

YouTube is still annoying with commercials, but mostly they're skippable. Mostly. Or they're short (7 to 15 seconds if I remember right)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: raz
Date: April 07, 2021 10:24AM
davemchine
My wife asked me to setup a home gym so she wouldn't have to travel to the local gym every day. It saves quite a bit of time to exercise at home. We have a good quality treadmill, exercise bike, a rack of free weights, a nice set of resistance bands with mounts on the wall, a punching bag and a nice tv on the wall for exercise video's. She started with youtube video's but a few months ago I bought a subscription to Apple Fitness and we have both enjoyed it.

If I was just looking at the expense I would say the investment equals about 2.5-3yrs at the gym but the big benefit for us is convenience and the ability to do exactly what we want daily. We definitely get more workouts by having the home gym.

I tried that route. The yearly repair bill on the treadmill was killing me. Motors, logic boards, belt, ...

We dragged it to the curb and got a gym membership - for less than the yearly repair costs. YMMV.

Then came covid, and I set up the trail bike on the trainer. It wlll cost me a tire every few years, but I can live with that - and I'm in better shape for the warm weather.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 07, 2021 11:00AM
Raz, I was definitely concerned about the potential repair bills on the equipment. I felt like my weight would be a contributing factor to that as well. So I paid a little extra to get equipment that I felt would hold up and so far so good. Fingers crossed.

Decay, you are correct that we are fortunate in having the extra space for a workout room. It's a large upstairs room that was used as a kids tv room initially. Now it does split duty. There's still a couch and tv but there's room for the workout equipment also. The kids weren't happy at first but it's "working out" haha.
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 07, 2021 11:02AM
What was that about a "nice rack"?

eye rolling smiley
Posted by: MikeF
Date: April 07, 2021 11:55AM
At least they're finally paying for the music they stole:
[variety.com]
Posted by: kj
Date: April 07, 2021 12:35PM
I think they are marketing it as a way to meet hot chicks, which definitely does not make it unusual, but it does get old after 40 or 50 years.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 07, 2021 12:36PM
Nothing wrong with the Peloton products as far as I know, but their ad messaging such as the one listed from last year was frankly hilarious (especially the response by the actor).
Posted by: wave rider
Date: April 07, 2021 02:13PM
[www.youtube.com]

Pelotaunt…

=wr=
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 07, 2021 03:14PM
The constant repetition of over-aggressive ads is the crime here. As in most cases, I don't care for the product itself.

Do we ever have to hear the kars for kids ad ever again? (It's deceptive front for a fund-raiser for a Jewish school charity)

And for that matter, Is there a site for listing the side effects of Big pharma drugs while the outrageously happy healthy folks go energetically skipping through woodland trails attending Covid-defying barbecues clutching grandkids in luxury car interiors?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 08, 2021 09:51PM
PeterB
vision63

SHAKE IT OUT!

I remember that. I have to wonder what would've been said if his wife weighed 350# and he bought her a Peloton? I suspect even worse fallout.

Grateful11
Date: April 08, 2021 09:54PM
Grateful11
PeterB
vision63

SHAKE IT OUT!

I remember that. I have to wonder what would've been said if his wife weighed 350# and he bought her a Peloton? I suspect even worse fallout.

lol. I accidentally ordered a Peloton honey. Feel free to use it.
Date: April 10, 2021 10:33AM
Grateful11
PeterB
vision63

SHAKE IT OUT!

I think the whole subject is touchy, see datbeme's post above. I think what irked people wasn't just that the wife in that commercial appeared to already be thin and healthy, but also that the husband was buying this for his wife ... akin to buying your wife a vacuum cleaner as a gift, and in the commercial, it's clear she didn't ask for this as a gift.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020