advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tribune, Sun might actually be saved.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 07, 2021 09:26PM
The battle for Tribune: Inside the campaign to find new owners for a legendary group of newspapers

WaPo
Last year, as a group of Baltimore Sun reporters embarked on long-shot endeavor to find a new owner that could save their paper from a hedge-fund takeover, a former Maryland politician gave them a piece of advice.

Treat this like a political campaign.

The worried reporters would need to recruit community allies. Hire a public relations firm to sway public opinion. And most crucially: figure out how to find rich people who might be convinced to finance a rescue plan.

That meeting over coffee with Ted Venetoulis — a former Baltimore County executive who unofficially advised Maryland’s largest private foundation — launched what would become the Save Our Sun campaign.

It would eventually inspire a national effort to keep nearly a dozen newspapers owned by the same chain from being bought by Alden Global Capital, a hedge fund with a singular reputation for gutting newsrooms.

Not a fan of dead-tree media, even the online iterations? That's cool, I guess?

"Studies show that cuts to local news lead to inflated city budgets, a reduction in civic engagement and polarized communities. The reporters’ pitch to the public: the only way to save their newspapers is by having local, civic-minded owners."

If you have a local or semi-local newspaper, with respect ... kindly get off your ass and fund it and stop demanding perfection or whatever from the subscription. The rest of us will thank you.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tribune, Sun might actually be saved.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 07, 2021 09:42PM
I find I can relax and focus better when reading a newspaper vs reading news online. Maybe that’s because we have an excellent local newspaper. For some reason, newspapers feel more egalitarian to me than reading online. It scares me that people won’t have sources of accessible local news. I hope newspapers will continue to exist for a long time, but maybe I am a dinosaur in that respect.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 07, 2021 10:18PM
[forums.macresource.com]

The Sun, Capital Gazette, and a few other Maryland publications will be
sold to the "Sunlight for All Institute" per reports in February.
[www.baltimoresun.com]

btw, Sunlight and its millionaire owners are big DNC fundraisers.
Sunlight is a Delaware registered non-profit.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 08, 2021 06:49AM
Truly independent QUALITY news reporting is rare. Incredibly rare.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 197
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020