advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Brings 'Plastic Butter Knife To A Gunfight' When It Comes To App Store Security
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 09, 2021 02:53PM
[m.benzinga.com]

Legal documents released by “Fortnite” video game developer Epic Games Inc. revealed that a senior Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL) engineer compared App Store’s defenses against malicious actors to “bringing a plastic butter knife to a gunfight,” the Financial Times reported Wednesday.

What Happened: Epic Games cited the anecdote, which was based on internal documents quoting Eric Friedman, head of Apple’s Fraud Engineering Algorithms and Risk (fear) unit, according to the report. An antitrust trial is scheduled to begin in California next month.

Friedman also said Apple’s process of reviewing new apps for the App Store was “more like the pretty lady who greets you... at the Hawaiian airport than the drug-sniffing dog.” The engineer was also quoted as saying that Apple was ill-equipped to “deflect sophisticated attackers.”

Why It Matters: The comments made by a company insider could hurt Apple as the iPhone maker has said the 30% tax it levies on digital purchases within apps downloaded from the App Store is required to protect customers from malware.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Brings 'Plastic Butter Knife To A Gunfight' When It Comes To App Store Security
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 09, 2021 03:35PM
Defense Exhibit 1 - What was the last serious malware to infect an iPhone

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Re: Apple Brings 'Plastic Butter Knife To A Gunfight' When It Comes To App Store Security
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 09, 2021 04:42PM
Mr. Friedman is not happy working at Apple and wants to spend more time at home with his family.

Not that he may be absolutely right, but he wasn't fond of the commute, either.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020