advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iCloud wackiness (still)
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 10, 2021 08:32AM
Let's see if you fine folks can figure out what Apple can't. Original thread here.

After several hours cumulatively of troubleshooting sessions on the phone with Apple support over four sessions, they still haven't come up with a reason for the problem, never mind a solution. At this point, they're analyzing some logs they had me capture last evening and I am awaiting their follow-up. Meanwhile, maybe you can answer a couple of other issues that they haven't even gotten to yet.

1. One of the first steps they walk me through is logging onto iCloud. My default browser is Chrome, and I have no issue logging on with that. No problem in Firefox, either. But naturally, they ask me to open Safari and log in. No go. It spins and spins and spins. I can log onto other sites using Safari, but not iCloud. We finally give up and proceed troubleshooting via Chrome. That has to be embarrassing.

2. When I log into iCloud on my iPhone, the only icons that show up are Photos, iCloud Drive, Notes, and Find iPhone. Well, frankly I don't care about any of those. I want to see Contacts and Calendar. But I don't see any way to change that. I don't even see a way to get to Contacts or Calendar on iCloud on the phone, never mind on the opening screen. Do you know if it's possible to select what I see upon login?

Thoughts? Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iCloud wackiness (still)
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: April 10, 2021 10:19AM
iCloud in its purest form can be seen on a browser.
If you can’t login from Safari, there’s something wrong with your computer.
After making sure you have a nice backup, I’d do a clean install. You don’t mention your MacOS.
At the very least a new user. And since you are not going all the way in, a guest account should be enough.
Yes, this should not be necessary, but your issue is atypical, and needs to get as many variables taken out of the way.
If everything is ok with the iCloud account there, something else can be done.
I don’t think you’ll get resolution from Apple at this point. They are probably chasing a bug or security issue, and are delighted you have a backup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2021 10:21AM by rich in distress.
Date: April 10, 2021 10:34AM
Thank you for the reply. My first reaction is Ugh. Everything else about the computer is running fine, so I really don't want to go doing a Clean Install just so I can log into a site I rarely use (iCloud) on a browser I never use.

BTW, I'm running, El Capitan 10.11.6 on a 2012 Mac Mini. I may decide to go to Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave, but I have too many 32 bit apps I still use to go beyond that.
Posted by: btfc
Date: April 10, 2021 12:29PM
Try a new user and try to log in with Safari.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 10, 2021 05:56PM
wurm

BTW, I'm running, El Capitan 10.11.6 on a 2012 Mac Mini. I may decide to go to Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave, but I have too many 32 bit apps I still use to go beyond that.

I'm amazed Apple even gave you any support past telling you to upgrade to a modern OS. I had some ideas, but frankly, I'd bet the problem is your OS is too old.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Date: April 10, 2021 06:38PM
Well, just tried logging in to the computer with my daughter's user name and password. Safari loads fine, but same results with iCloud - spinning wheel.

Frankly, I don't see how updating the OS would make a difference in going to a website in a browser. As I said, it goes to iCloud.com in Chrome and firefox, just not in Safari.

The iCloud problem seems to be an issue with iCloud simply not showing my Contacts online. Apparently, they're there, as it still syncs my iPhone to my Desktop via iCloud.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: April 11, 2021 11:29AM
Since your daughter’s account gives the same problem, we can be sure the issue is within your OS.
What I would do is think about the apps that keep me from updating my Computer... and replace them.
ElCap is really old, and a lot of kinks have been taken care of since.
Date: April 11, 2021 09:35PM
Thanks for the follow-up. Just today, I came this close to going to Mojave. I still may, but now I'm curious to see what Apple discovers before i go changing anything. Like I said, everything else I use on a daily basis works fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020