advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dis-Harmony - Logitech makes it official, no more new remotes!
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 10, 2021 02:36PM
The Logitech CEO has said that it was unlikely for them to make any new models as the remotes that were coming home with the Fire stick and Roku were working well for people. Writing was on the wall then.

It's official now. If you keep using it, Logitech will support. But the current inventory is what there is, so get yours now if you want a replacement!

[www.theverge.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dis-Harmony - Logitech makes it official, no more new remotes!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 10, 2021 02:38PM
Ugh! Do I buy a backup Harmony? I'd hate to live without it.....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 10, 2021 03:43PM
I have a Roku Ultra, and I think that the design of the remote blows monkey chunks.

There are far too many buttons on it, so it's hard to hit the right one. I'm CONSTANTLY hitting the voice command button instead of the play button. Who in the world talks to their remote. Good grief.

If they got rid of the Netflix, Disney, Sling, and Hulu buttons it would really help.

Having the mute button on the side of the remote was not exactly a genius move either. EVERY time I pick it up I hit that button.
Date: April 10, 2021 03:54PM
freeradical
I have a Roku Ultra, and I think that the design of the remote blows monkey chunks.

There are far too many buttons on it, so it's hard to hit the right one. I'm CONSTANTLY hitting the voice command button instead of the play button. Who in the world talks to their remote. Good grief.

If they got rid of the Netflix, Disney, Sling, and Hulu buttons it would really help.

Having the mute button on the side of the remote was not exactly a genius move either. EVERY time I pick it up I hit that button.

true, but still better than the current remote that comes with an AppleTV in my opinion (and that of my family).
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 10, 2021 06:44PM
I'm still using a Universal MX500.
I bought a couple used spares on eBay after spilling water in it, just in case.
My home theater setup has been controlled successfully by this device for 15 years, and I'm not changing.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 10, 2021 06:46PM
I prefer the silver remote that shipped with the AppleTV 2 and 3. Simple, don’t need to look at it to use it and always know which way to point it.
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 10, 2021 07:13PM
Yeah, Harmony remotes were never harmonious for me.
Posted by: raz
Date: April 10, 2021 07:20PM
The wife is constitutionally incapable of managing multiple devices and inputs. The Harmony she can handle. Which improves harmony.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 10, 2021 07:55PM
I need a remote that is RF but also allows for a IR in a macro. The harmony HUB has been perfect. The simple remote is a bonus. It will run my TV, Cable, Amp, and Media Server. It will also automatically goes to Netflix/Hulu/Prime/Disney/Airplay.

The Roku remotes are my least favorite. For more than turning something on/off or changing the volume, they are useless.

I'll likely buy a spare hub

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Don C
Date: April 10, 2021 09:49PM
I had a Harmony many years ago. If a device was on that was not supposed to be, then it would turn that device off. Was more trouble than it was worth.

FWIW: wife has the same problem with the current Spectrum remote. With her memory issues, if something in the sequence is not right (e.g. turns off the cable instead of turning it on) she cannot figure out how to fix the problem.

Electronics guys who set us up said that they had a system that would make everything right regardless of starting condition. I don't know what device they had but I need to find out. The old Harmony is not the answer (although I keep thinking it is, and then remember it is not).
Date: April 10, 2021 09:54PM
The current harmony software has (mostly) fixed the on/off issues. There’s a “help” button which poles each device and asks you if it’s set up correctly.

--------------

Posted by: space-time
Date: April 11, 2021 07:25AM
How often do you switch inputs on TV these days? I am always on HDMI connected to Apple TV. I don't have anything else connected to the main TV.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 11, 2021 08:02AM
space-time
How often do you switch inputs on TV these days? I am always on HDMI connected to Apple TV. I don't have anything else connected to the main TV.

what about messages from Tralfamador?

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Date: April 11, 2021 08:18AM
space-time

TV can be connected to the satellite dish (or cable), roku, or dvd. If the surrounds are on, then the volume control needs to be the receiver not the tv.

I don’t have a video game console, but that’s another input.

--------------

Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 11, 2021 08:22AM
Space,

The answer to your question is very much dependent upon how a given person/family watches media. For many, no input switching at all. TV is connected to an antenna or to a provider's box (be it a streaming media box or cable box). Turn on TV. If necessary, turn on box. Done. Other people rely on multiple sources for content and, as a result, multiple devices to access it. A home theater surround sound system connected to the TV adds another layer of complexity.

My situation is a good example... Cable box based content most of the time. Netflix on the big TV is done via the cable box. Everything else relies on a streaming media box. So, the number of times I switch inputs is dependent on what content I want to watch and how must access it. Regular cable and Netflix? Cable box. Amazon? Streaming media box. Apple only content? Media box. YouTube? Cable box or media box.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2021 08:23AM by Robert M.
Posted by: zachdog
Date: April 11, 2021 09:25AM
Thanks! I just bought a spare. I love these things.
Posted by: mspace
Date: April 11, 2021 10:27AM
I use this with my appletv remote. Love it.

[www.sideclickremotes.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 11, 2021 12:02PM
Even if you only have a TV - the Roku/Fire/Apple remotes lack what I consider to be essential - numbers. If I want to go from channel 3 to Channel 630 (two channels I watch frequently), I do not want to scroll through 627 channels. As for inputs I have two in use - one for the cable box and the other for my media server to play 4TB of movies.

There are plenty of remotes that could do the job via IR, but my boxes are in a separate room from the TV and requires an RF signal - but the TV needs the IR as well.

I also want a real remote, not an app on my phone.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: April 11, 2021 12:29PM
Ombligo
Even if you only have a TV - the Roku/Fire/Apple remotes lack what I consider to be essential - numbers. If I want to go from channel 3 to Channel 630 (two channels I watch frequently), I do not want to scroll through 627 channels. As for inputs I have two in use - one for the cable box and the other for my media server to play 4TB of movies.

There are plenty of remotes that could do the job via IR, but my boxes are in a separate room from the TV and requires an RF signal - but the TV needs the IR as well.

I also want a real remote, not an app on my phone.

What are these 'numbers' you are talking about? Do you rename the apps? smiling smiley
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 12, 2021 08:46AM
what Ombligo said. Drives me nuts. On the few occasions I want to changes channels.
Even if it's just the hop from 2 to 13.
I bought a Uni remote that was originally for the failed remote for the 10yo Onkyo. I recently programmed one of the 4 devices to the TV just to hop chans.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 12, 2021 11:58AM
Don C
I had a Harmony many years ago. If a device was on that was not supposed to be, then it would turn that device off. Was more trouble than it was worth.

Same here. I could get it working well enough, but part of the reason I got it was to make it easier for other people to use the TV/receiver and other inputs. Unfortunately that idea never turned into reality as it proved too finicky for everyone to manage. I recall the volume button also made a loud clicking sound that was less than ideal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020