advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
T-Mobile Home Internet tech support
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 11, 2021 10:11AM
Desperately want to get out from under the thumb of XFinity (~$90/mo for internet + one landline - no cable TV - in suburb of large metro area.) But T-Mobile 5G home internet has been giving me fits. Speed varies all over the place- advertised “up to 150 mbs”, but we max out at 30 mbs and usually well below - yesterday at one point on Speedtest.net, it was 0.6 (yeah, 0.6!) mbs download.

The bigger problem is that it just won’t load some pages (?!). Yesterday it came to a head when the wife tried to log into a site she uses for her small business and we couldn’t do so on any of our computers - generally got a “a secure connection could not be established to [the site server]”. So she took the same laptop down to the coffee shop on the corner and it worked as normal. Here at home, still no go today (now getting ~14 mbs on Speedtest.net).

Anyway, I thought I would try Sunday morning to contact tech support, thinking it might be a slow time for them. Expected waiting time? “More than 2 hours”.

I’m thinking they’re just not ready for prime time yet.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: T-Mobile Home Internet tech support
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 11, 2021 11:04AM
Thanks for paying to be a beta tester for the rest of us.
Date: April 11, 2021 11:10AM
Well, it actually only took an hour for them to call back. On with them now.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 11, 2021 11:39AM
Another problem with T-Mobile seems to be both low and variable MTU.

The most common problem stemming from this is that trying to connect to a work-VPN from home might only be intermittently successful or will just fail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2021 11:39AM by Sarcany.
Date: April 11, 2021 11:39AM
So, the guy looked and looked through his support stuff, and decided that this is the likely problem: the pages that wouldn't load are probably working with IPv4 addresses/servers, and the T-Mobile receiver/router (he called it "the Nokia") only works with IPv6 addresses.

>: /

(PS - I checked in my Network/Advanced preferences and both IPv4 and IPv6 appear to be set up and active). He said some other folks had reported similar problems, and there was no workaround (short of running down to the coffee shop, whose router apparently doesn't have this limitation). I asked if I could connect a different wireless router to the T-M receiver over ethernet, and he kinda mumbled and said that wouldn't work - which is probably true, since I'm typing this on a Macbook with the WiFi turned off and connected to this troublesome T-M box via e'net, and the site my wife can't get still won't load.

Is this all BS? Who knows. The guy was nice enough. But like I said, I think T-M's not quite ready for prime time. So back goes the T-Mobile device and I guess I set up the XFinity cable modem/router again (which I had kept around - unplugged - in case the T-M setup didn't work.)

Verizon 5G home internet is in my metro, but (at least as of this morning) not available at my address.

Sighhhhhh.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 11, 2021 11:40AM
pdq
The bigger problem is that it just won’t load some pages (?!).

I’m actually having a similar issue with Spectrum that I haven’t sorted out yet. If I switch to a cellular hotspot or use a VPN, the pages load fine.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 11, 2021 11:41AM
File a complaint with the local BBB office.

Maybe eight years ago I would have recommended OpenSignal.com so you can get an official reading to ding them with, but I am not sure if I trust their app any more with all the companies that have been back-doored.

sekker
Thanks for paying to be a beta tester for the rest of us.
agree smiley

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: April 11, 2021 11:41AM
Gareth
pdq

I’m actually having a similar issue with Spectrum that I haven’t sorted out yet. If I switch to a cellular hotspot or use a VPN, the pages load fine.

Checked your DNS settings? Can try manually setting 1.1.1.1 to bypass a flaky DNS server from your ISP.

Date: April 11, 2021 11:45AM
PS- if you happen to have T-M 5G home internet, you can try loading the following pages as an example:

[9to5mac.com]

or

[www.lortondata.com]

(The latter will load, but if you click on the login for AqaMailer, it just sits and thinks for a few minutes, and finally says "a secure connection could not be established...").
Date: April 11, 2021 11:56AM
Sarcany
Gareth
pdq

Checked your DNS settings? Can try manually setting 1.1.1.1 to bypass a flaky DNS server from your ISP.

I currently have three DNS server addresses in this Mac:

The latter two are Google ones. I presume the first is prolly from T-M.
Date: April 11, 2021 12:02PM
Sarcany's post reminded me of something I have forgotten to do myself recently. When it is working properly, make a list of nearby (low ping numbers) alternate public DNS servers with both IPv4 and IPv6 numerical addresses.

OpenNIC.org (primary name server 2a03:b0c0:3:d0:0:0:d24:2001 [ note: the number is not a valid https address, it's the number to put in the name server address, or to ping ]) supposedly has reliable non-US controlled servers. Using the command line to ping servers in another country can sometimes get you a working connection.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2021 12:17PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Date: April 11, 2021 12:12PM
pdq

Lookup implies it is Cisco OpenDNS, LLC. Cisco now owns OpenDNS but the Netcraft site report page says they don't currently have a working IPv6 address.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: April 11, 2021 12:53PM
Filliam H. Muffman
pdq

Lookup implies it is Cisco OpenDNS, LLC. Cisco now owns OpenDNS but the Netcraft site report page says they don't currently have a working IPv6 address.

So...if I set a different DNS server it might work?

I do have those Google DNS servers in there too...
Date: April 11, 2021 01:09PM
pdq
Filliam H. Muffman
pdq

So...if I set a different DNS server it might work?

I do have those Google DNS servers in there too...

The Google DNS servers are for roll-over. That's not the most reliable means to ensure connectivity. Your Mac will try the second server if the first one is down. If you just get bad data from the first one, your Mac won't check the second one.

...OpenDNS is not reliable. See what happens if you remove it.

...You can keep using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4. I suggested 1.1.1.1 because I don't like Google knowing every site that I visit.

Posted by: wowzer
Date: April 11, 2021 01:28PM
I’m getting T-Mobile home because I dont have wired faster than Adsl. Did the DNS change help your issue?

Fwiw, speed test on my phone got 150mbs down and 20mbs up (IIRC).

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Date: April 11, 2021 03:06PM
wowzer
I’m getting T-Mobile home because I dont have wired faster than Adsl. Did the DNS change help your issue?

Unfortunately, no. Tried 1.1.1.1 and another one from OpenNIC as the first DNS server in Network/Advanced and still can't load that page.

I think we're in kind of a dead zone of towers. We've always needed a signal booster to keep a call going on T-Mobile, even though we're within 10 miles of downtown St Paul. It looks like Verizon uses the same tower.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: April 11, 2021 03:08PM
pdq
PS- if you happen to have T-M 5G home internet, you can try loading the following pages as an example:

[9to5mac.com]

or

[www.lortondata.com]

(The latter will load, but if you click on the login for AqaMailer, it just sits and thinks for a few minutes, and finally says "a secure connection could not be established...").

I have tmobile home internet and both those sites load right away without any problem.

Asheville, NC Area
Date: April 11, 2021 03:33PM
MartyStickle
pdq

[9to5mac.com]

or

[www.lortondata.com]

I have tmobile home internet and both those sites load right away without any problem.

Would you be able to post your ping times to apple.com and if you could traceroute your latency times?

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 11, 2021 03:44PM
pdq

I think we're in kind of a dead zone of towers. We've always needed a signal booster to keep a call going on T-Mobile, even though we're within 10 miles of downtown St Paul. It looks like Verizon uses the same tower.

In general Tmobile and Verizon would not share towers. They MIGHT have a roaming agreement if there is a local ban on putting up new towers but they almost never would share a tower with both sets of equipment on it. It is a nightmare for the radio engineers.

I deal with this every day with students parents that use our hotspots. I cannot even begin to count the number of people I have had to explain this to. If you get crappy or no cellphone reception the hotspot won't work either. They use the same towers and the antenna aren't any better. There is no pixie magic that makes a Tmobile hotspot work where a Tmobile phone gets poor service. It doesn't matter what the coverage map says or what the rep tells you about availability. If you don't get reception it isn't going to work no matter where you live. We had so many families request a hotspot and then complain when it didn't work. We asked them if their cellphones worked and they responded "Oh, we don't get any cell signal here, we have to drive up the road". banghead smiley

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 11, 2021 04:04PM
C(-)ris
pdq

In general Tmobile and Verizon would not share towers. They MIGHT have a roaming agreement if there is a local ban on putting up new towers but they almost never would share a tower with both sets of equipment on it. It is a nightmare for the radio engineers.

I deal with this every day with students parents that use our hotspots. I cannot even begin to count the number of people I have had to explain this to. If you get crappy or no cellphone reception the hotspot won't work either. They use the same towers and the antenna aren't any better. There is no pixie magic that makes a Tmobile hotspot work where a Tmobile phone gets poor service. It doesn't matter what the coverage map says or what the rep tells you about availability. If you don't get reception it isn't going to work no matter where you live. We had so many families request a hotspot and then complain when it didn't work. We asked them if their cellphones worked and they responded "Oh, we don't get any cell signal here, we have to drive up the road". banghead smiley

So does it follow I would get the same speeds from a TM hotspot as I currently get from my TM phone plan? Just curious.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2021 04:05PM by Ammo.
Date: April 11, 2021 04:24PM
I don't know how to show a ping time to a certain site. Speedtest just now showed a ping time of 22ms. Usually it's around 18.

wowzer
MartyStickle
pdq

[9to5mac.com]

or

[www.lortondata.com]

Would you be able to post your ping times to apple.com and if you could traceroute your latency times?

Asheville, NC Area
Date: April 11, 2021 04:39PM
MartyStickle
pdq

[9to5mac.com]

or

[www.lortondata.com]

Do you have a 5G receiver/router (the silver cylinder) or the 4G white one?

Edit: also, I could load the home page for Lorton Data, but when I tried to go to the login page for AquaMail (upper right corner) that's the one that wouldn't load.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2021 04:50PM by pdq.
Date: April 11, 2021 04:44PM
I turned the XFinity cable modem/router back on - I had to do a reset because I had previously turned off the WiFi, since an earlier call with T-M thought that might be interfering.

Took like all afternoon to get the XFinity router working again, but I finally did, and went to the Lorton Data site. It works with XFinity (as it did before).
Date: April 11, 2021 04:44PM
Ammo
So does it follow I would get the same speeds from a TM hotspot as I currently get from my TM phone plan? Just curious.

Pretty much. There may be some minor variation depending on the modem and antenna array in each device, but for simplicity's sake, if they are both of roughly the same era, then they'd likely have similar speeds.
Date: April 11, 2021 04:45PM
Sarcany
Gareth
pdq

Yup, I tried changing my DNS settings for my Spectrum issue. No change.
Date: April 11, 2021 04:45PM
Ammo

No. Lots of variables including size of the antenna, power and efficiency of amplification, placement in your home. But it's probably not too different.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 11, 2021 08:32PM
Sarcany
Ammo

No. Lots of variables including size of the antenna, power and efficiency of amplification, placement in your home. But it's probably not too different.

Generally speaking it is close to the same if you your phone and hotspot both have the same radios. The hotspots usually have a little bit more power, but not enough to make a meaningful difference.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: April 12, 2021 08:40AM
pdq
MartyStickle
pdq

[9to5mac.com]

or

[www.lortondata.com]

Edit: also, I could load the home page for Lorton Data, but when I tried to go to the login page for AquaMail (upper right corner) that's the one that wouldn't load.

I also can't get by the Lorton Data login page. Should I care??
I do have the silver trash can type device

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: Cary
Date: April 12, 2021 09:13PM
C(-)ris
pdq

This is not true. In the early days of cellular, carriers were very protective of their own towers, viewing them as a competitive advantage.

Also, back then, there were significant rd issues with the analog networks. Digital systems and additional wireless bands have mitigated those issues.

Then zoning issues and landlords who wanted more revenue forced carriers to work together to share towers and facilities - see the NYC subway cell system - a shared antenna system was deployed.

Then cell carriers sold off their towers to companies like American Tower and Crown Castle, using the dollars to invest in more wireless licenses and capital equipment expenditures, allowing them to leverage the dollars and allowing them to operating expense the tower costs rather than carry them as capital costs.

There are many places where VZ, Tmo and ATT all share towers.
Date: April 13, 2021 08:37AM
MartyStickle
pdq
MartyStickle
pdq

[9to5mac.com]

or

[www.lortondata.com]

I also can't get by the Lorton Data login page. Should I care??
I do have the silver trash can type device

So my wife actually contacted Lorton Data, and they confirmed that that server is IPv4. That doesn’t mean that’s definitely the problem here, but it fits with what the T-M tech support guy said.

It’s unfortunately a deal-breaker for me - the wife needs this site for her business. But I also ran into this with other sites, including “Travel by Jen” and 9to5Mac, to name just a few. It seems to me that most of the sites I had trouble with were “https” addresses (once I noticed and started looking for this) and Safari would usually fail with a “secure connection could not be established” message after a few minutes of futility. (Firefox didn’t work either, FWIW)

I’m really disappointed, since this means I’m stuck with ridiculously expensive XFinity for the foreseeable future. But I couldn’t keep spending hours of frustration with T-Mobile.

sad smiley
Date: April 15, 2021 07:49AM
Cool. Thanks.

MartyStickle
I don't know how to show a ping time to a certain site. Speedtest just now showed a ping time of 22ms. Usually it's around 18.

wowzer
MartyStickle
pdq

[9to5mac.com]

or

[www.lortondata.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020