advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
road trip - 11.5 hour drive - one day or two?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 11, 2021 12:49PM
Poll
11.5 hour drive - one day or two?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
47 votes were received.
One day! Just get it over with! 23

49%
Two days! take some time and enjoy it! 24

51%

We're taking a trip to visit my inlaws and the drive will be about 11.5 hours, shared between me and my wife. My 2.5 and 5.5 year old boys will be captive passengers. Do you think we should do the drive in one day or two?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: road trip - 11.5 hour drive - one day or two?
Posted by: August West
Date: April 11, 2021 12:56PM
Two days won't feel like taking your time. Either way, depends on purpose passengers, destination. My most efficient was LA --> NYC with one other. We only stopped for bathroom and occasional food; one driving, other sleeping.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 11, 2021 01:00PM
My rule of thumb is that anything over 9 hours with two people in the car is too much. You stop for the night.

When it's just me, I plan on a nap at a rest-stop (at least) around 8 hours in. Even if I don't need the sleep, I need the time to decompress. Driving that long is tough.

With kids in the car, of course you stop for the night.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 11, 2021 01:02PM
.....you mean shared between 'my wife and I'....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2021 01:02PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: April 11, 2021 01:03PM
Leave at 7:00. AM. get there at 7;;00 PM . Unless breaks are not part of travel time figures in . Then you will add another 2 hours + to travel time .
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 11, 2021 01:05PM
Epic Adventure with da Boyz time. Plan some side trips, points of interest, views. Stop at each rest area and stage foot races to tire the boys out. Play the old "I spy" games, license plate states, wildlife identification... all those games develop observational skills.

And it's also an awesome opportunity for an overnight camping experience if you are up to it.

Date: April 11, 2021 01:06PM
.....this is also the perfect time to torture have some fun with the kids.....they are stuck in the car with y'all and can't run away.........

Posted by: btfc
Date: April 11, 2021 01:08PM
Just you, one day. You and spouse, probably one day. Add the kids, two days for sure.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 11, 2021 01:11PM
I've done a 12 1/2 hour drive solo, but there's not way I would do that with youngsters in the car. Splitting into two days will still feel like two 12 hour days.
Posted by: btfc
Date: April 11, 2021 01:13PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2021 01:17PM by btfc.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 11, 2021 01:17PM
if it was just me it would be one day. two drivers one day. kids can sleep. one day rather than in/out of hotels.

My point of reference is traveling over 300,000 miles in a car with my son from age 4-12. musicians gotta do what musicians gotta do. no handheld devices allowed. music, audiobooks, and imagination freely available.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2021 01:23PM by graylocks.
Posted by: August West
Date: April 11, 2021 01:19PM
Sorry missed your details, they looked like a sig to me. With the wife & kids? Fly.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 11, 2021 01:19PM
I like sunrise to sunset, usually longer. With the young kids, mom in the middle in the back to read and play.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 11, 2021 01:22PM
Unless there are interesting stops along the way, one day.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: April 11, 2021 01:26PM
I once did a 20 hour drive with my wife and the two girls, 6 and 8. I was very tired at the end and vowed never ever to do anything similar again as I was very tired. My wife and the kids loved it and still talk of the big adventure as it did involve six countries.

Paul
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 11, 2021 01:30PM
Matt,

Two days. Minimum. For mental, physical and safety reasons. I'd be saying this even if two little boys weren't involved. srf1957's total time for breaks would be possible if it was just two adults. Factor in the boys and it's _way_ under what the amount of time you'll need for breaks in reality.

I can vouch for the above from personal experience. My wife, Little M and I took a road trip from Long Island, NY to a location in Northern VA. It was supposed to be about 5 hours or so. It ended up taking about 11 hours with three very short breaks despite using a GPS _and_ WAZE. Total nightmare.

If your trip is 11.5 hours, then you'd be foolish to do it in a single day. Allocate enough time for stopping overnight _and_ breaks.

Invest in two of these for the kids: [www.amazon.com]

Worth every penny! Little M used her Regalo at the family reunion and on a cruise we took in 2019. Loved it!

Robert
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 11, 2021 01:35PM
As others mentioned, with young kids take a break. Unless you want load them in the car at 1-2 in the morning and head out. Driving in the dark, kids sleep and halfway there, take a break, have some food, then continue on the road. I’ve done this once. (Palm Springs, CA to Bend, OR)
Posted by: d4
Date: April 11, 2021 01:57PM
How long is the stay at your destination?

12 hour drive. Stay for a day. And then 12 hour drive back? You won't have time to recover and be miserable the entire time.

If it was 12 hour drive. Then stay for a week. Then 12 hour drive back, that's different. Just suck it up and get it over with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2021 01:57PM by d4.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 11, 2021 02:13PM
One day. Bottle of vodka or pills for the kids. Other pills for you.
Convoy YEE-HA!
Posted by: clay
Date: April 11, 2021 02:15PM
Depends on how long you'll be there (at the in-laws). Either you force the trip in one day and everybody needs most of the next day to recover, or do two reasonable days on the road and you arrive with nobody close to burnt out.

One idea -- do a long day the first day (7-9 hrs), then sleep in the next day (with kids, hah!) and enjoy a nice breakfast and maybe a fun stop at some point before you reach your destination.

If you can find a stop or two along the way for something more than a rest stop/restaurant, that could be fun. Is there anything scenic along your route? A short hike to a waterfall? A lake to dip your feet in? A tourist trap? A mini golf course? Stop for ice cream an hour after lunch? Anything that your family would enjoy for a half hour/hour?
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 11, 2021 02:31PM
I think you will have less recovery time if you split it into two days.
That way, you can get there pretty early on the second day and not feel completely trashed with two probably very cranky kids.
But, I am too old to be able to sit in a car that long and still be able to walk when I would get there. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 11, 2021 02:44PM
Matt,

I can also vouch for the fact that I was in horrible shape after that long-ass drive. Recovering from the drive ruined the next day entirely. Would never do that kind of drive in a single day again.

Robert
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 11, 2021 02:52PM
I voted one day BUT, you really DON'T give us enough data.

Just before Christmas, I drove 11 hours in my Prius (a very comfortable car) for a 10 day visit to a friend in FL. The return trip was also done in one day. I knew my friend's place was safe, Covid wise. Staying for 10 days, I had ample time to "recover" from a long drive and still be able to enjoy my visit.

Why risk introducing a BIG unknown by staying in a hotel / motel? old fogey smiley

In pre-Covid days, there were several times where I did marathon driving days (16~18 driving hours) either because of weather or, I wanted to get to a particular RV event. The most STRENUOUS trip was driving my RV 2,500 miles in 72 hours (driving solo). Basically drive, sleep, eat, drive, sleep eat etc. NOT fun and, I was a zombie for a few days after I arrived.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: April 11, 2021 03:02PM
Sarcany

With kids in the car, of course you stop for the night.

Along with countless bathroom stops.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 11, 2021 03:19PM
I'd do it in one day, BUT I would do it at night. Leave at 7pm when they are just getting ready to sleep and drive straight through. They should sleep the entire time and it will be easier for the one not driving to sleep at night as well.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 11, 2021 03:23PM
Long drives help kids learn patience and develop skills of observation.

No need to stop at gas stations!

Travel toilet: [www.amazon.com]

Privacy tent [www.amazon.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2021 03:42PM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: April 11, 2021 03:55PM
....make them sing stupid songs and play stupid games.....this will be the last time they can't run away from you both....

Posted by: space-time
Date: April 11, 2021 03:57PM
with kids that age, sure a 2 day trip.

It also depends on the route, time of year, etc.

End of June when the days are long? maybe try one day. Late December? no way.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: April 11, 2021 04:33PM
One day to avoid Covid complications.

=wr=
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 11, 2021 04:38PM
Strictly on the driving? WIth two people to "tag team", 12 hours is a piece of cake....
With kids in the car, that takes knowing how they react to long drives. I can't really say how that'd work.

My family took a lot of across the country road trips when I was a kid, so I learned how to keep myself amused in the back seat. I had a lot of books...
My parents drove 8 hours to 10 hours a day most of the time. We'd usually get a very early start (5am-6am... There were days when I remember going to bed, then waking up in the car two hours down the road from the hotel when we stopped for breakfast).

Road tripping long trips is a acquired skill... but a darn useful one.

Today, since I can afford it, I typically limit my driving days to about 8 hours. I will occasionally go 10 hours, but over that (since I'm driving alone) starts getting very wearisome.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 11, 2021 05:08PM
if it was just me it would be one day. two drivers one day. kids can sleep. one day rather than in/out of hotels.

This is my vote.

It might be a little tough with kids that young (until they fall asleep), but adversity build character.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: April 11, 2021 11:28PM
Back in my younger days, a buddy and I would do a yearly pilgrimage from Detroit to South Beach Miami for a Music Conference. Sometimes we'd have a 3rd person to assist.

We'd do it in one shot - fun part was sometimes hitting outlet malls in the south.

Although I voted for 2 days above - one day wasn't too bad.
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 12, 2021 12:54PM
The important variable here for one vs two days is the 2.5 year old, with regards to 1.) Potty training 2) ability to entertain themselves without getting fidgety or whiny and aggravating everyone else. Either diapers or reliably trained. Anything in between will make 11 hours take 16 and seem like 40. I think the 5.5 year old will be fine either way.
Date: April 12, 2021 08:33PM
.....don't take the Road.....to Perdition......

Posted by: davester
Date: April 12, 2021 08:37PM
C(-)ris
I'd do it in one day, BUT I would do it at night. Leave at 7pm when they are just getting ready to sleep and drive straight through. They should sleep the entire time and it will be easier for the one not driving to sleep at night as well.

I think that is completely nuts! Starting a long drive just before bedtime is dangerous due to the risk of dozing off in the middle of the night. If you do it in one day start at 5AM. The kids will sleep in the back for quite a while and you'll be alert. Your co-driver can catch some ZZZs in the passenger seat and then wake up late in the morning to spell you.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Sam3
Date: April 13, 2021 04:36AM
I agree with Davester, start off at 4 or 5AM, the kids should sleep for a few hours, and you will arrive at 3 or 4PM. You'll be able to spend a few hours with the in-laws before crashing and the next day you'll be fine.

We just got back from Key West, drove it in under 30 hours. Then again, we now have three drivers, as my daughter has her full license and can drive past 11PM.

My daughter is used to long-distance driving, her first adventure was with me traveling to PA from MI to see granddad when she was about 3-6 months old. We've clocked roads trips to Arizona in only one or two motel stops, and we've never had issues. We also never had electronics for her, she had books along, or we played I Spy, or sang songs. No whiny kid at all.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 13, 2021 10:37AM
Speaking as a truck driver, …

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2021 10:37AM by Speedy.
Date: April 13, 2021 07:52PM
....what.....the.....truck......???

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 14, 2021 11:14PM
davester
C(-)ris

I think that is completely nuts! Starting a long drive just before bedtime is dangerous due to the risk of dozing off in the middle of the night. If you do it in one day start at 5AM. The kids will sleep in the back for quite a while and you'll be alert. Your co-driver can catch some ZZZs in the passenger seat and then wake up late in the morning to spell you.

Guess it depends on if you are a morning or night person. I would probably fall asleep and crash if I had to get up at 5am and drive, that would be 3 hours of sleep for me. I'm routinely up till 1-2am. I'd drive 7pm to 2am no problem and then switch drivers.

Last really long trip I did was about 9 years ago and it was Denver, CO to Minneapolis, MN. I drove the entire 12 hour trip in one shot, but did have 3 others in the car if needed. Took a break every couple hours to stretch, but drove right through and ate in the car. I don't think I could do that now, would definitely have to switch up drivers half way through as my eyes get worn out.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020