advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Advice needed for outdoor motion detector
Posted by: wowzer
Date: April 11, 2021 03:37PM
I just bought a 3.5 acre property w a house. The house is located centrally and I want motion detectors for the property as my driveway is long. Is there a best way to do this? I’d prefer something that activates my iPhone if these solutions are available. I have power to the driveway and around the house but otherwise, I may need a solar solution...otherwise I’d have to dig a trench for power.

Thanks

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Advice needed for outdoor motion detector
Posted by: pqrst
Date: April 11, 2021 05:11PM
I don’t have any specific recommendations but have seen game trail cameras which are specialically meant to run with battery power and be sensitive.
[www.trailcameralab.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2021 05:13PM by pqrst.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 11, 2021 05:34PM
what do you want to be warned about? We have ring cameras. I'm happy with them although I've turned off the notifications. My wife wants the notifications. The trouble with any sort of item like this is that you'll get vastly more unneeded alerts than actionable alerts. I'm happy to have the history to look at if anything happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2021 05:34PM by mattkime.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 11, 2021 06:20PM
Yea, I'm not sure how much just literal motion alerts would be useful. It sounds like you really need a video security system of some sort, so that the alerts are at least accompanied by a still image so you know what's happening.

And you probably want a system with some sort of filtering, otherwise you get so many alerts you just ignore them all.

I use both Ring and Arlo and since I haven't narrowed down my alerts, I end up just ignoring all of them because there are too many, but I have a lot more activity happening around me.

Power is the easy part. Most of these systems are battery powered and many have a solar option. On my Arlo cameras with solar panels that are properly aimed, I never run down the batteries and have stopped needing to change them.

But, these systems also require some sort of wireless signal. Arlo uses their own base station and wireless signal, so, whether or not that would have the range you need, I can't say. Ring runs on your regular WiFi signal, so if you can boost that to reach the areas you need, you "should" be good to go, but Ring is incredibly sensitive to WiFi signal strength and may not work with even a "medium" strength signal.

There are many other similar systems, all with varying specs and subscription costs/needs. I only mentioned the two I primarily use. But a couple more include Eufy (by Anker) and Wyze (but their ecosystem isn't as fleshed out for this). And there may be more "professional" (or "traditional") systems as well that might work (I'm not familiar if any of those have wireless options).
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 12, 2021 06:57AM
Not sure that your post is clear. A 3.5 acre lot could be 375 x 375 ft if the lot is square. Wireless should work a that distance. How long is the driveway? How straight is the driveway? This would help identify or eliminate options.

Where do you want to detect motion? How far down the driveway do you have power?

I wonder if a PoE network camera with zoom function and motion detection might be an option. You might be to run the ethernet in PVC conduit along the edge of the driveway.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: April 15, 2021 08:02AM
Thanks for the advice. I’ll look into zoom and Arlo

I never thought about running that long a line of ether, but that may work as well. My land is cleared and is 375x375.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020