advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Home security cam setup recommendations (Battery & wifi)
Posted by: JPK
Date: April 12, 2021 03:39PM
I currently have blink, but they have been spotty on the wifi and have just moved from a "yes we promised free cloud storage" to a pay up or you own a worthless brick model - which puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Looking for battery operated and local storage but also the ability to stream or view from my iPhone.

Recommendations???

eufy or Arlo seem to be the only real options. Anyone have experience with either of them?

I do wish Apple would come out with a simple battery/wifi camera system that would plug n play with all Apple OS & iOS. Keep dreaming.

JPK
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Home security cam setup recommendations (Battery & wifi)
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: April 12, 2021 03:54PM
I've had a couple of Arlo Pro cameras for 4 years now (bought Mar 2017) and I've been mostly happy with the setup. Depending on the number of alerts, I have to charge them about every 3 months.

You do have to fine tune the sensitivity so you don't get false positives due to the wind moving plants around, but of course that becomes a trade off with slower positive alerts.

They provide 7 days of free cloud storage which has worked great for me. If I need to save a clip, it's simple to download it to the phone. After a day or two I have no need for the clips.

I do like that Arlo added home kit after the fact in 2019: [zatznotfunny.com]

At some point, I'll probably upgrade to higher resolution cameras with more features, but I hate paying monthly fees, and this has sufficed for peace of mind when we travel.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 12, 2021 04:28PM
bhaveshp
At some point, I'll probably upgrade to higher resolution cameras with more features, but I hate paying monthly fees, and this has sufficed for peace of mind when we travel.

Yea, that's one negative against Arlo. Their subscription pricing is a bit confusing with the different camera resolutions (or it might be because I'm on an older plan and I just don't like their new pricing). So, when I bought "2k" cameras, I couldn't add them to my old "1080p" plan, and I didn't like the pricing for the 2k/4k cameras, so now I've got two accounts with the 2k cameras on their 1 year "included" subscription for now (at least you can share the cameras between accounts so I can view them all in one login).
Posted by: modelamac
Date: April 12, 2021 07:36PM
See my comments below [forums.macresource.com]

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 12, 2021 07:48PM
bhaveshp
I've had a couple of Arlo Pro cameras for 4 years now (bought Mar 2017) and I've been mostly happy with the setup. Depending on the number of alerts, I have to charge them about every 3 months.

You do have to fine tune the sensitivity so you don't get false positives due to the wind moving plants around, but of course that becomes a trade off with slower positive alerts.

They provide 7 days of free cloud storage which has worked great for me. If I need to save a clip, it's simple to download it to the phone. After a day or two I have no need for the clips.

I do like that Arlo added home kit after the fact in 2019: [zatznotfunny.com]

I need to sell my Arlo's and switch to a hard wired solution. They eat through the batteries in the winter when is below freezing and I get constant battery alerts even with a fresh set of batteries.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 13, 2021 06:45AM
Look for a camera that supports ONVIF or RTSP. These will allow you to record to a NAS or computer using an app.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020