Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Canon R3: stacked sensor ... and that return of Eye-AF
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 13, 2021 11:20PM
Chris and Jordan give their reaction: [youtu.be]

Eye-AF is fun on the old cameras (when it works). It’ll be interesting to learn how well the modern iteration does.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Canon R3: stacked sensor ... and that return of Eye-AF
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 14, 2021 12:15AM
So the rumors were true.

Here is what little is known, direct from the horse's mouth: [www.usa.canon.com]

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 14, 2021 07:44AM
I owned an EOS 3 and it was a fun camera. When I saw the rumor that the model was named 3, I immediately thought of that camera. Eye control focus worked most of the time for me but it want as precise as I needed for sports action. I imagine they have been developing it for 17 years since the 3. It is a feature I would seriously consider moving back to Canon for.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: April 14, 2021 08:54AM
I may be riding a wave of nostalgia but this R3 announcement and knowing that the EF adapters work great, is making me itch to use EOS camera again.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2021 09:38AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: April 14, 2021 11:32AM
pRICE cUBE
I may be riding a wave of nostalgia but this R3 announcement and knowing that the EF adapters work great, is making me itch to use EOS camera again.

Go for it!

I'm slowly giving up my Nikon gear (alas, I may ride my D850/500mm pf kit until they fail) and moving to RF-mount bodies.

The R3 looks very intriguing. My main hesitation (besides the insane price it's likely to go for) is that there is no word about the megapixel count yet.

My addiction to cropping bird shots means that If it's under 45MP, I'll stand pat.

Old Fogette
Date: April 14, 2021 12:23PM
Billybob
pRICE cUBE

Go for it!

The R3 looks very intriguing. My main hesitation (besides the insane price it's likely to go for) is that there is no word about the megapixel count yet.

Old Fogette

I am trying to trick my brain into not thinking about what the price will be. I have browsed Canon lenses on eBay. Will this be the body that brings me back to Canon? Can I overcome the reverse zoom? Will someone buy a kidney!

Date: April 14, 2021 01:59PM
Hey man, it’s not a reverse zoom to the rest of us.
Date: April 14, 2021 02:02PM
The cost will be, Sony A1 + X.

Although actually it’s still supposed to be positioned under the “1DX” Whatever model, because of course 1 is better than 3.

And if they start adding even numbered models that’s gonna be a hoot.
Date: April 14, 2021 02:12PM
It is very unusual--unheard of, actually--for Canon to make this kind of announcement. They're basically saying "Hey, we're working on this camera and we don't have details yet, but don't give your money to Sony, ok?"

Posted by: Billybob
Date: April 15, 2021 08:14AM
deckeda
The cost will be, Sony A1 + X.

Although actually it’s still supposed to be positioned under the “1DX” Whatever model, because of course 1 is better than 3.

And if they start adding even numbered models that’s gonna be a hoot.

You mean like the 6D and R6? The 6D was probably better left unused (or at least stopped after one iteration), but I hear pretty good things about the R6.
Date: April 15, 2021 03:34PM
The R6 is the guts of a 1DX Mark III in a mirrorless and less robust and less weather-sealed body at less than half the price. Same sensor and same AF. Some say the R6 actually outperforms the 1DXIII in some ways.

The 6D had crippled AF but the image quality was freaking incredible. On the 6D Mark II, Canon uncrippled the AF (although not 1DX level) and increased the pixel count while still maintaining freaking incredible image quality. People were upset that the image quality was only about as good as the original 6D but with increased pixel count; they wanted it to be better than freaking incredible. wink smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2021 03:36PM by AllGold.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020