Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ponzi schemer Bernie Madoff dies in prison
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 14, 2021 08:46AM
[apnews.com]

NEW YORK (AP) — Bernie Madoff, the financier who pleaded guilty to orchestrating the largest Ponzi scheme in history, died in a federal prison early Wednesday, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press.

Madoff died at the Federal Medical Center in Butner, North Carolina, apparently from natural causes, the person said. The person was not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity.

Madoff admitted swindling thousands of clients out of billions of dollars in investments over decades.

A court-appointed trustee has recovered more than $13 billion of an estimated $17.5 billion that investors put into Madoff’s business. At the time of Madoff’s arrest, fake account statements were telling clients they had holdings worth $60 billion.

For decades, Madoff enjoyed an image as a self-made financial guru whose Midas touch defied market fluctuations. A former chairman of the Nasdaq stock market, he attracted a devoted legion of investment clients — from Florida retirees to celebrities such as famed film director Steven Spielberg, actor Kevin Bacon and Hall of Fame pitcher Sandy Koufax.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ponzi schemer Bernie Madoff dies in prison
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 14, 2021 08:56AM
Well, I guess he did his time.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 14, 2021 09:16AM
#61727-054 did 12 years of 150 year sentence @ club fed.
Ripped off his victims again. Good riddance!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 14, 2021 09:37AM
The university I attended lost 20 million dollars of investment with him. There were lots of losers.
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 14, 2021 09:45AM
Only tangentially related; in my experience, there are two kinds of financial advisors out there: those that are largely disinterested in you (or incompetent) once they have your money, and thus underperform the average market index fund, and those that significantly over-perform the market, that your friend/BIL/etc hooks you up with.

It’s those last ones that you really need to avoid.
Posted by: raz
Date: April 14, 2021 09:56AM
alas, natural causes

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 14, 2021 10:37AM
boo f'n hoo

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 14, 2021 10:45AM
The greed and criminality inherent in the market did not die with him.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: April 14, 2021 11:21AM
pdq
Only tangentially related; in my experience, there are two kinds of financial advisors out there: those that are largely disinterested in you (or incompetent) once they have your money, and thus underperform the average market index fund, and those that significantly over-perform the market, that your friend/BIL/etc hooks you up with.

smiley-laughing001

So true.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 14, 2021 12:12PM
My (then) next door neighbor was conned by Madoff, although he never said how much he lost. Judging by the palace he moved to next, it may have been a lot.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 14, 2021 12:13PM
pdq

The second type is called a fiduciary. If you value your investment more than you value your advisor's boat payments, make sure you pick a fiduciary.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2021 12:14PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: April 14, 2021 12:17PM
cbelt3
The greed and criminality inherent in the market did not die with him.

This.
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 14, 2021 12:46PM
rjmacs
pdq

The second type is called a fiduciary. If you value your investment more than you value your advisor's boat payments, make sure you pick a fiduciary.

Naw, the second type I was talking about was a "Madoff", as in "made-off with my money".
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 14, 2021 03:30PM
It could have only happened to a nicer guy....
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020