advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Returning a 5lb bag of rocks by mail. Amazon says, "NO THANKS."
Posted by: d4
Date: April 14, 2021 12:07PM
I never thought in my life I would ever order a 5lb bag of rocks in the mail. And then need to return the same 5lb bag of rocks back to them by mail. But here I am.

It's a 5lb bag of smooth medium size (1-2 inches) decorative river rocks for aquarium, DIY, decorative, etc use. I was planning on using the rocks for a fish tank.

After receiving it, I'm washing the rocks in the sink to get rid of debris and grit. I see an oily chemical substance on the rocks. I soak the rocks in a bowl and see an oily substance float to the surface. Left it in the sink under hot running water. After a minute or so, I shut off the water to let the rocks soak more. Again, there's more oily substance floating on the top surface of the water. WTF.

There's no way I'm putting any of this in my fish tank due to the mystery substance. I like my fish living and happily swimming. Who knows what else will leach into the water with prolonged submersion. Of course, the product originated in China.

Amazon is refunding my money, but says to keep it. No need to return.
Uhh.. gee thanks. I guess I'll dump them in the backyard dirt.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Returning a 5lb bag of rocks by mail. Amazon says, "NO THANKS."
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 14, 2021 12:38PM
Should be ok to use around a plant, but yeah, not putting unknown "oily substance" in the fish tank.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 14, 2021 01:35PM
rgG
Should be ok to use around a plant, but yeah, not putting unknown "oily substance" in the fish tank.
I would honestly send them to a landfill. No idea what toxins the Chinese are sending back to us in crappy consumer products. Landfills are monitored and equipped to handle that.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 14, 2021 01:44PM
cbelt3
rgG
I would honestly send them to a landfill. No idea what toxins the Chinese are sending back to us in crappy consumer products. Landfills are monitored and equipped to handle that.

The Chinese makes the good products too.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: April 14, 2021 02:40PM
vision63
cbelt3
rgG

Yeah, people forget, or are to young to know and haven't studied history, but after WWII in the 50's everyone considered the imports from Japan to be junk and totally worthless. Now days people think of the stuff coming from Japan as being top notch quality. Partly it's a matter of perception and partly it's a matter of where the exporting country's manufacturing is in terms of quality and expertise. But a big part of the problem is totally ours - we have to many people who don't know the difference between cost, price and value that are convinced they should be able to get the best quality for the lowest price so they buy cheap foreign made crap from Walmart.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 14, 2021 02:49PM
....they must have rocks.....in their heads......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 14, 2021 02:51PM
Unrelated to the OP, but more to the replies, I got a kick out of my most recent purchase, just received about an hour ago.

Posted by: Michael
Date: April 14, 2021 02:57PM
Today I received a box of Avery mailing labels instead of the Avery sheet protectors that I ordered. I was sure that they wouldn't want them back since I've been hearing about the "just keep it" for some time. But, nope. They want it back and so we'll swing by Kohl's one of these days.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 14, 2021 03:34PM
Funny, they don't want the 40 pounds of wrong variety cat litter back either.

Will donate to a shelter.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 14, 2021 03:41PM
Most of what we buy is without value. Why would they want it back?
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 14, 2021 04:01PM
Shame you couldn't harvest a bucket load locally.
I've scored some nice rocks & slate in SE Penn. near the Susquehanna.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: August West
Date: April 14, 2021 04:16PM
vision63
cbelt3
rgG

thumbs up

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 14, 2021 04:38PM
Bought a 2 pak of Zep Bathroom Cleaner last week. Must be counterfeit as it neither foams or cuts through soap scum in my bathtub. Just submitted a return. Amazon is refunding my money and said keep it. Maybe i'll find something it can clean but i'll probably wind up flushing it.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 14, 2021 05:26PM
Dollartree has some nice shiny rocks. I think a bag is 1 pound. Local store.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 14, 2021 06:19PM
vision63
Most of what we buy is without value. Why would they want it back?

The harsh reality.
Posted by: d4
Date: April 15, 2021 06:19AM
I regret mentioning the country of origin off-hand in my original post. I didn't mean for it to be such a trigger. I have since found another vendor on Amazon from 'Murica this time selling river rocks. Same 5lb weight. 40% more in price. patriot smiley

If there is a problem with these 'Murican rocks, I wonder if Amazon will want these back. Hah!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020