advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Quick IRS Refund
Posted by: Frank
Date: April 15, 2021 01:34PM
E-filed my return on the 9th and refund was deposited in my account on the 13th. Wow. Impressed with the speed ... two working days plus a weekend.I used HR Block again on my MacPro running Mohave with no issues.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Quick IRS Refund
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 15, 2021 01:36PM
I have another month to procrastinate.
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 15, 2021 01:46PM
You got me beat. I filed on 2/27 and I was impressed to see both federal and state deposits in my account on 3/5.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 15, 2021 01:51PM
Cool. I efiled on 2/19 and I'm still waiting for them to process my return.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2021 02:27PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 15, 2021 02:14PM
freeradical
I have another month to procrastinate.

That sounds like me! smiley-shocked003

I found out my home office iMac isn't robust enough to run H&R Block's program. What could have changed where they require 10.13 Mac OS this year? Fortunately, my downstairs iMac CAN run 10.13. What a pain in the...neck. Now I have to upgrade the OS on my capable Mac, and bring all the paperwork downstairs to get things going.

We really shouldn't have to go through all this grief every year just to pay income tax. There's GOT to be a better way.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 15, 2021 02:18PM
Rick-o

We really shouldn't have to go through all this grief every year just to pay income tax. There's GOT to be a better way.

Well, there is, unless you're Cloud-averse for stuff like taxes, and I realize many folks are. We've been using [www.freetaxusa.com] for the past several years.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 15, 2021 02:35PM
What is a refund?

I've adjusted my withholding so that I owe a little bit each year. I don't want Uncle Sam holding my money for me as I'd rather get the full benefit of it's value.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 15, 2021 02:53PM
macphanatic
What is a refund?

I've adjusted my withholding so that I owe a little bit each year. I don't want Uncle Sam holding my money for me as I'd rather get the full benefit of it's value.

I don't know how you can possibly pull that off. They change the tax laws after the end of the year. There is no way you could know if you are getting a refund or not until February when they finalize the tax code for the previous year.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 15, 2021 03:08PM
Rick-o

How about an external drive that you just use for the tax software and install the OS the app requires on it along with the app and boot from the external once a year and upgrade it each year as needed. Or possibly use a virtual machine to accomplish the same results.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: April 15, 2021 03:15PM
Similar here, filed on April 8th, and yesterday received notice from the bank that BOTH Mass, and Fed returns were pending deposits.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 16, 2021 03:33AM
The 'I don't want to give the Gubmint an interest free loan!' bit always makes me laugh.

With my luck, I'd have to file estimated taxes quarterly.

Besides, the interest I earn on my interest free loan is only slightly less than what I earn on the dough in my savings account.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 16, 2021 05:11AM
C(-)ris
macphanatic
What is a refund?

I don't know how you can possibly pull that off. They change the tax laws after the end of the year. There is no way you could know if you are getting a refund or not until February when they finalize the tax code for the previous year.

Since we retired I'm able to do it pretty well. I know exactly what SS and our pensions will pay over the year. I don't have anything withheld from either so I file estimated taxes 4 times a year (that's a whole different story associated with travel hacking). The taxable investments are always the wild card. I assume about a 7% return at the start and file estimated taxes based on that. The final estimated tax is due on Jan 15 so I have a really good sense of how much the taxable investments made and I adjust our final payment based on that to owe them about $500.

I don't care about the government having a tax-free loan. I'm more concerned about a fraudulent filing holding up a significant refund for a year. If I owe money at the end of the year I don't care if it takes a year to untangle a problem; I would certainly still care if somebody files fraudulently, but I wouldn't have a refund hanging. I suppose I should get one of those authentication numbers from the IRS but I haven't done so up to now.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 16, 2021 11:11AM
wurm
Rick-o

Well, there is, unless you're Cloud-averse for stuff like taxes, and I realize many folks are. We've been using [www.freetaxusa.com] for the past several years.

Nice. I will have to look into that. Thanks.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 16, 2021 12:09PM
RAMd®d
The 'I don't want to give the Gubmint an interest free loan!' bit always makes me laugh.

With my luck, I'd have to file estimated taxes quarterly.

Besides, the interest I earn on my interest free loan is only slightly less than what I earn on the dough in my savings account.

Given that the inflation rate is higher than the .03% APR interest that you'll get in a savings account makes this especially true now.

To add insult to injury, the bank will send a 1099 to the IRS if you somehow manage to make more than $5 in interest in a given year.
Posted by: Janit
Date: April 16, 2021 02:42PM
Starting in 2017, TurboTax required a MacOS upgrade every year. I still run El Capitan on my Macbook Air because it has been too much trouble to migrate from Office 2008 (laugh if you like)!

So I took an old portable 1TB drive and carved out some itty-bitty partitions to run each new version of TurboTax.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 381
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020