advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Instant pots?
Posted by: DP
Date: April 15, 2021 04:04PM
I get recipes from a couple of foodie sites and they've shown a lot of recipes made using an instant pot. I'm not familiar with them although I believe I've seen some discussions on this august forum.

It seems to me that an instant pot is a new name for a "smart" pressure cooker, yes?

So those of you that have them and swear by them (or at them), what do you mostly prepare in it and what brand would you recommend?

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Instant pots?
Posted by: hal
Date: April 15, 2021 04:49PM
cooking via pressure cooker seems to become a fad every 20 years or so...
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 15, 2021 04:51PM
Great for soups (slow cooking), and pressure cooking apples, potatoes, etc. You can sauté things in the pot for recipes that need multiple steps, and keep food warm easily. We use ours pretty often - it's nice to be able to cook potatoes quickly, and fruits stew up beautifully with spices for making (fruit)sauces.

They are good decent slow cookers, but probably most useful for folks without a lot of kitchen devices who can conserve space with a multi-use electric cooker. I wouldn't use it to make rice, but technically it will do that. We don't eat meat, so I can't speak to its utility there...

Edit: the go-to brand is Instant Pot, and they go on sale pretty regularly. We got the fancy 8 quart one (Instant Pot Ultra 80) on a BF/CM deal for about $125 delivered.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2021 04:54PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 15, 2021 05:01PM
We use ours pretty regularly to make soups, stews, mashed potatoes, roasts, rice, beans, hard-boiled eggs [it's great, the shells come right off], yogurt and I'm sure I'm missing something. It is not quite as fast as those twenty-minute recipes claim, you always should add ten minutes at least to get the pressure built up, and then it starts counting down.

Still, it is nice to have and you can make a full meal without heating up the house.

cleaning is easy as well - toss in a cup of water, set it for five minutes, dump it, wipe it, and you are done.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 15, 2021 05:09PM
We have the InstaPot 3qt "mini duo". Only way we prepare rice is in this thing, so easy.
Also very good for hard boiled eggs (as mentioned). Also easy for soups, mashed potato. Really nice thing about it I think is that you can do all the mixing in the bowl, so no need to dump out into something else. You can use a hand mixer, immersion mixer, masher, whatever, with the option to keep some heat on.
You can even do pasta, although I have not done much with that, like most cooking there is a learning curve to adapt what you know to the new device.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 15, 2021 05:19PM
They make 8 Qt. smart models now, a little better for big families than the 6 Qt. Pulled/bbq pork, lima beans and ham (bone), Pot Roast (carrots and potatos), big fluffy pancake, Japanese Cheesecake, meat chili. It's nice to be able to set it and not worry about over-cooking.

I never thought to make baked apples, thanks for giving me the idea rjmacs!

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 15, 2021 05:22PM
....they legalized pot in NY but it won't be available......instantly.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: lost in space
Date: April 15, 2021 06:05PM
My wife loves the 2-person Insta Pot I got her for Christmas. She really likes the time it saves. She works 2-3 some nights, so she can start it, do her work, and have food cooked when she's done. I took a chance that she might have equated it with buying her a vacuum cleaner, but thankfully, she didn't.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: April 15, 2021 06:55PM
lost in space
My wife loves the 2-person Insta Pot I got her for Christmas.

Is that the Hannibal Lechter special edition?
Posted by: Pat
Date: April 15, 2021 07:38PM
Ribs, chili, chicken and rice, cheesecake, .....
Posted by: lost in space
Date: April 15, 2021 08:50PM
Lux Interior
lost in space
My wife loves the 2-person Insta Pot I got her for Christmas.

Is that the Hannibal Lechter special edition?

oh yeah. Also great for slow cooking fava beans and liver.yum smiley

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 15, 2021 09:07PM
been using a pressure cooker for 25 years. but don't know much about the insta-pot. sounds catchy.
Posted by: jonny
Date: April 15, 2021 09:26PM
Great for risotto! Also, I have an excellent Indian cookbook especially written for the thing.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 16, 2021 03:20AM
I'd like a 1qt or smaller crock pot.

I've got a little 20oz 'warmer', but I'd like something that would actually cook food, in that small size.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 16, 2021 06:05AM
OK. Thx, all!

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: April 16, 2021 07:42AM
I like mine so much that I bought three! 3 qt, 6 qt, and 8 qt.
Spaghetti, yogurt, hard and soft boiled eggs, casseroles, mashed potatoes...

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: April 16, 2021 12:54PM
Ha ha, I'm a little behind CJsNvrUrly, and have only two Instant Pots, 3 qt and 6 qt! I've always liked using a pressure cooker, but much prefer these electric ones — "set it and forget it" — especially for cooking dry beans. It's the only way I ever boil eggs now, since they peel perfectly every single time. Once you learn how it works, it's hard not to use it for almost everything!

My old stovetop pressure cooker is now just a regular pot. The electric ones seem safer for someone like me with an aging brain and short attention span! Old Fogette
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 16, 2021 01:41PM
My wife joined the Instant Pot Cult a couple of years ago. I swear if she could find a setting on that thing for salad, she'd use it for that, too.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 16, 2021 03:08PM
Will Collier
My wife joined the Instant Pot Cult a couple of years ago. I swear if she could find a setting on that thing for salad, she'd use it for that, too.

You can make quinoa in it for a warm kale salad!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020