advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What kind of tortoise is this?
Posted by: DP
Date: April 18, 2021 05:34PM
My wife was across town doing some yard work at one of her future rentals and came across this in her back yard:

So what kind is it?

It is in a pen till later when our friends will get it inside into the warmth.

Don't worry about the red around the mouth-it's strawberries!

It's about a foot long and shows a little wear and tear. We figure it got loose from somewhere in the neighborhood. Obviously a "pet", as this tortoise is not native to SE lower Michigan. Our friends have it for now and we already have a home for it until we know more.

Friends looked on the interwebs to see what it would eat-strawberries and other fruits and flowers-but it's also loving dandelions! Maybe I'll keep it on my lawn for the Summer...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What kind of tortoise is this?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 18, 2021 05:58PM
> So what kind is it?

The "crying on the inside" kind.

(Dunno Handsome specimen.)

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 18, 2021 06:20PM
....the one that makes good.......tortoise soup......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 18, 2021 06:39PM
Looks like a Gopher Tortise

The gopher tortoise is one of five North American tortoise species and is the only tortoise naturally found east of the Mississippi River. Its range includes the southeastern Coastal Plain from southeastern Louisiana east to southern South Carolina and south to Florida.

They are protected species in Florida [not sure of other states]. It is not unusual for people to take them as pets, though doing so is illegal and carries a fine. There are no tortoises native to Michigan, Ohio, or Indiana

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: April 18, 2021 06:45PM
Maybe a Sulcata Tortois/African spurred) Toroise?

images
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 18, 2021 06:46PM
[is.gd]

maybe, but if it is, it's way out of it's element.

These guys know their stuff.
[www.nytts.org]

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 18, 2021 07:14PM
Vote for young African spurred tortoise....
and that it's gonna get a lot, lot bigger, and will outlive all of us current MRF members.
==
Date: April 18, 2021 07:48PM
Maybe a Sulcata Tortois/African spurred) Toroise?

Vote for young African spurred tortoise

This.

But, there is a real issue with it. Boy, it's a long story and we may have to take it back because someone does own it. But. It's long story. I'll post it tomorrow. A looong story...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 19, 2021 03:51AM
I just googled African spurred tortoise:
Lifespan 80-100 years
Weight 70-100 lbs
Looks like a lifetime commitment...
Date: April 19, 2021 07:02AM
Well, where we'd like to take it is up in the air right now. Turns out it is owned by the 15 yo son of a neighbor who has a history of bringing home "interesting" animals.

But, as my wife was working yesterday, there was a lot of activity going on in the neighborhood. People outside enjoying the weather, and she could heard a lot of talk, and she heard a young girl from two houses down, who was part of the crowd say, "If you come across a big turtle, don't worry, it won't hurt you! We let it out sometimes!"

What? A warm weather animal in an area of people, cars, dogs-and you let it out to wander around? Seriously?

OK, so later, the next door neighbor is out too and she and my wife get to talking and my wife asks where the 15 yo son is-haven't seen him around-and the neighbor tells her he's in juvy! He was arrested for shooting someone in an altercation! He shot and killed someone in what is said to be a self-defense situation, using a gun that was in the possession of his 21 yo girlfriend!

First, the girlfriend is 6 years older and she is illegally having a relation with a 15 yo.

Then, the 15 yo took the gun-don't know if she had it legally- from her to shoot the deceased. So, self defense notwithstanding, he is illegally in possession now of a firearm, plus the killing.

Now, this is all from the boy's mother.

But let's get back to the tortoise! Mom says that she gave the tortoise to the house next door on the other side. It seems there are relatives between the two houses and she gave it to them to take care of while the boy is gone (and it seems that the boy won't be around for a while) and mom has no idea how to take care of these critters he brings home. There is also some sort of lizard there too.

Bottom line is there are animals not being cared for properly and may be being abused by ignorance. I mean, they let it out to wander around? How do you get the tortoise to come back-whistle for it? The tortoise also has what looks like some injury/damage to it's carapace although it doesn't look recent.

So my wife is going to call the mom this morning and ask if we can keep it as we have a couple friends who have had tortoises and know how to care for them. If push comes to shove we will offer to pay for it.

We think the mom will jump on that with all she has going on with her son. We hope so because we really think it is NOT a healthy environment for the tortoise...

Date: April 19, 2021 09:06AM
Perhaps the John Ball Zoo in Grand Rapids could offer guidance or a new home.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”

Posted by: rgG
Date: April 19, 2021 09:32AM
Wow. Just wow.
Glad you are looking out for the big guy.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: April 19, 2021 10:29AM
My wife texted the mom to call when she can. One of the possible homes we have to take it to would be almost ideal for the tortoise short of a zoo or rescue center. Indeed it would be a rescue situation but I won't say where yet so as not to jinx it!

Will let you know as we hope to have this resolved as quickly as possible...

Date: April 19, 2021 11:08AM
When we were kids (early/mid 1960's), my cousin had a tortoise that he kept outside... and in order to keep it from straying too far, he drilled a hole in its shell to attach an eye bolt along with a 300' chain to it. Those suckers are really good diggers, and while the wooden fence around my cousin's property went all the way to the ground, it was no match for the inquisitive reptile, who would regularly dig his way under the fence to explore the neighbors' yards.

Unless he retraced his steps perfectly on his way home, the pet turtle's "leash" would get wrapped around trees, or fence posts, or patio furniture, effectively shortening it each time that happened. Retrieving the big turtle was always a fun adventure, and my cousin's neighbors would call when his pet got stuck in their yards.

Hopefully you'll provide a good home for your new neighborhood mascot, but remember, it's capable of some serious digging. In this day and age, consider attaching an accurate GPS unit to it, so you'll always know where it is. Enjoy.
==
Posted by: ArtP
Date: April 19, 2021 02:45PM
DP - two good stores in the SE Michigan area that could give you some help and guidance would be....

Stingers Exotics or Great Lakes Reptiles

If you were looking to get rid of or donate him and make sure he went to somebody who would properly care for him, that would be a start possibly.
Date: April 19, 2021 05:21PM
Thx, Art. And I like Buzz's idea although...

One of our hopes is a friend that has a business where we think the tortoise would be very happy.

But as of this posting the mom has not yet returned my wife's call...

Posted by: Acer
Date: April 19, 2021 07:26PM
If illegal or neglected animals are possible, consider a call to the local Humane Society or similar animal welfare agency. They might have jurisdiction, or know who to call to get that tortoise or other animals properly and legally cared for. They do more than crazy cat ladies. Maybe you can figure out a home for the turtle, but it sounds like there might be more animals at risk.

And letting it wander the neighborhood is absolutely the stupidest thing I can imagine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2021 07:29PM by Acer.
Date: April 19, 2021 08:46PM
DP
But as of this posting the mom has not yet returned my wife's call...

After 24 hours I would consider it abandoned and do as you want. Then if you have fears for any other animals, report it.

Date: April 19, 2021 08:57PM
After 24 hours I would consider it abandoned and do as you want

I'd like to just keep and get it to a responsible home but I was outvoted. There was some talk with others we told the story to that maybe some of those people that may know my wife had taken the tortoise may do some kind of retribution to my wife's property for the "thievery". I don't think so but, well, I suppose there could be some possibility...

But just a little bit ago, in one more effort to make contact, my wife called the mom but now gets the recording saying the number was no longer valid. Huh. She texted mom and it seemed to go thru-wouldn't a text not go thru if the number was no longer working?

Date: April 20, 2021 08:36PM
Remember the bigger it gets, the more room it's gonna need to roam...
==
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: April 23, 2021 03:29AM
Maybe 1% of the sulcatas in the US are wanted and properly cared for. They can lay a hundred eggs a year, people buy the babies for $60 without realizing they get big and pushy and destructive and too big to lift. And if you take care of it, it will outlive you. Rescue places can take only a small fraction of the unwanted sulcatas. We have a couple rescues in our county and they get several calls in a week, people trying to unload them. One was overwhelmed a few years ago and it's taken them years to adopt the excess out. They had to stop accepting drop-offs left at the zoo. People assume the zoo wants your dime store inbred tortoise with bone disease.

It's not easy to give them the care they need. That one has some mild pyramiding of the shell, which can be really bad, but nobody is sure why it happens so often to captive tortoises. Poor things.

We know a family that bought two sulcatas a couple years ago when I asked how they were doing they told me they'd driven them out to the desert and set them free when the kids weren't into them anymore. I was sick to my stomach hearing it, but it's not like I would have adopted them.

My neighbor had two giant Galapagos tortoises when I was a kid and they were like unstoppable tanks if they saw somebody holding their bristlebrush. They loved nothing more than a good backscratch.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 25, 2021 01:19AM
My wife was across town doing some yard work at one of her future rentals and came across this in her back yard:

OK, so later, the next door neighbor is out too and she and my wife get to talking and my wife asks where the 15 yo son is-haven't seen him around-and the neighbor tells her he's in juvy! He was arrested for shooting someone in an altercation! He shot and killed someone in what is said to be a self-defense situation, using a gun that was in the possession of his 21 yo girlfriend!

I understand this is a rental property? SELL THE PLACE NOW!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020