advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
One processor to run them all!
Posted by: jonny
Date: April 21, 2021 12:55PM
"Take a look at Apple’s 27-inch Intel-based iMacs: There are configurations with six, eight, and 10 cores, and each processor has boost core clocks up to 4.5GHz, 4.8Ghz, or 5.0GHz. Each model has a different GPU with its own clock speeds and VRAM. Us PC hardware enthusiasts are used to picking apart every little spec, analyzing how many frames per second we can get out of an extra 100 or 200MHz of core frequency. We know the computer with the 10-core processor is going to cost more because it’s the more powerful device.

That same logic doesn’t apply to macOS and iOS devices now. Other than choosing what SSD or how much DRAM you want in your device, the price goes up literally by size of the device, not what’s necessarily what’s inside of it. Laptop and desktop PCs, especially gaming PCs, can cost the same or close to the same depending on what components are inside. (Current CPU and GPU market conditions aside.)"

[gizmodo.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: One processor to run them all!
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 21, 2021 02:11PM
Comments are full of PC people that still thinking like, well, PC people.

article: "iMac is 11.5 MM"
PCer: "so its gonna run hot"

article: "base 8 GB ram"
PCer: "that's so 10 years ago"

Which tells me they have done zero research about the M1.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: April 21, 2021 02:44PM
I've done little research as well, but from what my photoshop friends have been saying, I definitely want one.

We've been used to incremental improvements that could only be measured by a stopwatch. With these M1 machines, you can feel the improvements.

Now, I'm not worried about how many cores or how much ram it has, I just want to know when the 32" iMac will be released.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2021 02:44PM by Billybob.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 21, 2021 03:11PM
Billybob
I've done little research as well, but from what my photoshop friends have been saying, I definitely want one.

Im gonna say there are hundreds of videos of M1 Photoshop tests on YT.

And the big sites, like petapixel.

[forums.macresource.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 21, 2021 07:33PM
8GB of ram is plenty. 16GB is great.

I have a fleet of base model Intel MBAs with 8GB/128GB. They get the job done. The only struggle is Zoom while trying to play videos while doing email while airplaying. And most of the struggle is Zoom's fault. It can do all the rest of those things at once without any issue. The M1 8GB/128GB can do all of that and not break a sweat.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020