advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
News of the Weird: I've never emptied the Recycle Bin on my work PC.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 21, 2021 05:48PM
I toss stuff there all the time. It's been over a year. The C:\ drive has 340GB of 465GB free.

I did once go into it to find something ditched like 3 months earlier, but that's not why I don't empty it. I just, I dunno, don't.

Not mine, but it looks just like it. Even the docs look the same. We must have the same trash!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: News of the Weird: I've never emptied the Recycle Bin on my work PC.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 21, 2021 05:54PM
I've talked to SO MANY users that never empty the trash because they are afraid of throwing something out accidentally that was important.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 21, 2021 05:58PM
hal
I've talked to SO MANY users that never empty the trash because they are afraid of throwing something out accidentally that was important.

I run a background script that empties the trash once a month on some machines....specifically users who can't seem to manage their own storage and then put in tickets when they run out of disk space.

The rule is: Everything you care about needs to be on a network drive. If it isn't, consider it gone at any time.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2021 05:59PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 21, 2021 06:20PM
Same. Ive gone years. Think the last time my main drive might have had a 20+ TB in the trash.

Command + delete = moves file to trash --- and as far as Im concerned, its gone.

But past that, clicking the trash and "empty trash" -- meh, who cares. =)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 21, 2021 06:32PM
.....Bin there.......done that.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 21, 2021 06:44PM
C(-)ris

... The rule is: Everything you care about needs to be on a network drive. If it isn't, consider it gone at any time.

Interesting. I keep everything important (archival and similar) on our shared network drive, things that are really important for frequent stuff additionally copied to a cloud service account (we use FilesAnywhere. It's fine but requires constant use or it logs you out) and things I-can't-live-without also copied to my C:\ drive.

My C:\ has working copies of all current projects, and if I can't work them faster than about a week they get moved to one of the above locations.

Why? Because the VPN required to use the network drive isn't reliably great, and even when it is, sometimes Houston has a freak winter storm that renders the building where the network drive is located unusable. My co-workers there still refer to the February debacle as, "The Freeze."

I've suggested maybe not putting the company shared drive in a single building vulnerable to *anything* but that fell on deaf ears.
Posted by: clay
Date: April 21, 2021 06:47PM
jdc
Same. Ive gone years. Think the last time my main drive might have had a 20+ TB in the trash.

Command + delete = moves file to trash --- and as far as Im concerned, its gone.

But past that, clicking the trash and "empty trash" -- meh, who cares. =)

You've got more than 20TB in local storage on your main Mac? 20 GB in trash, I could understand. but 20 TB? Seems like you'd miss that amount of storage that's tied up in trash...
Posted by: decay
Date: April 21, 2021 06:56PM
C(-)ris
hal

I run a background script that empties the trash once a month on some machines....specifically users who can't seem to manage their own storage and then put in tickets when they run out of disk space.

The rule is: Everything you care about needs to be on a network drive. If it isn't, consider it gone at any time.

We tell our largest clients whose Macs are managed by JAMF: keep your important work files in OneDrive. Each user gets 1 TB, which is plenty for 98% of them.

OneDrive is automatic backup. USB drive access is blocked, so no Time Machine. Sure, there are file naming limits - think "web-safe."

These are not personal computers, they are for work, and they are managed as such.

I like MDM monitoring; you can set drive percentage flags, enforce reboots (so many would go past 30 days or more), all the best practices you want in place.

---
Date: April 21, 2021 07:23PM
decay
C(-)ris
hal

We tell our largest clients whose Macs are managed by JAMF: keep your important work files in OneDrive. Each user gets 1 TB, which is plenty for 98% of them.

OneDrive is automatic backup. USB drive access is blocked, so no Time Machine. Sure, there are file naming limits - think "web-safe."

These are not personal computers, they are for work, and they are managed as such.

I like MDM monitoring; you can set drive percentage flags, enforce reboots (so many would go past 30 days or more), all the best practices you want in place.

We use JAMF and primary end user storage is Google Drive File Stream. Unlimited storage space and available anywhere. There really is no need to keep anything local unless it is a big file you are working on for the day. We don't backup anything on a local machine. It takes 15 minutes to erase and factory restore a machine with all their software loaded and preferences configured to organizational norms. It is completely automated and requires nothing more than the end user to put in their user name and password at first boot. I can hand a user a laptop brand new in the box and they can take it home, turn it on, connect to their wifi, enter their network account credentials and sit back and wait 10 minutes and it is automatically configured. It is glorious.

C(-)ris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2021 07:25PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 21, 2021 10:32PM
clay
You've got more than 20TB in local storage on your main Mac? 20 GB in trash, I could understand. but 20 TB? Seems like you'd miss that amount of storage that's tied up in trash...

LOL, typo. Yeah, GB. I was thinking 200 GB = 20 TB. Im sure Ive had near 200 GB before and didn't realize it. I don't keep anything on my boot drive, just OS/apps and maybe handful of working files. Everything else is external. So even 200 GB wasn't noticed.

I know I emptied it recently... currently only 32.87 GB... but spread across 2 drives.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 21, 2021 11:18PM

I, uh, um, may have done than more than once.

Or many more times than more than once.

Maybe.

But I do check the trash, always, before emptying it.

On occasion I do find something that got thrown out with the bathwater.

So to not be That Guy, I empty it frequently, and always check.

A Time Machine drive might be a good thing.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: April 22, 2021 05:33AM
For work I maintain a Trash folder on the desktop for stuff I'm not sure about deleting right away - because I've been burned before in a cleaning frenzy!

Usually do a deletion every other month based on dates in the folder - over a year flush it...

And the folder is about 30 gigs right now. But I deal with fabric collections so the final jpgs are huge sometimes (don't ask!)
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 22, 2021 06:14AM
I'm constantly deleting off my work laptop. It's 18 months old and they bought a freaking 120G SSD. I've got 20G of data on it and Windows 10 and the other crap take up 95G. They've got it locked down so tight, I can't delete temp files and other garbage.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: April 22, 2021 08:55AM
C(-)ris

Talk to my network admins.

"You can have 500 MB of backup space! That's a LOT!!!!"

Okay, it's actually 6 GB. The 500 MB is for email.

The other 200+ GB I have to BU myself.

And the laptops they give us have only 500 GB drives. At least the new Stinkpad I just got has an NVMe drive instead of a spinny drive.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 22, 2021 02:25PM
Lux Interior
C(-)ris

And the laptops they give us have only 500 GB drives. At least the new Stinkpad I just got has an NVMe drive instead of a spinny drive.

I'd kill for a 500GB drive.
Date: April 22, 2021 05:42PM
Lux Interior
C(-)ris

I only give my users a 128GB SSD. Assuming that you don't deal with confidential information, they should be able to just do OneDrive, DropBox, Google Drive, or any of the other cloud storage providers.

C(-)ris
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 70
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020