advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So... Apple TV versus Roku... Any reason other than staying in Apple Ecosystem?
Posted by: spacescape
Date: April 22, 2021 05:53AM
A couple years back I picked up an Amazon Stick (after deciding I didn't want to Jailbreak my Apple TV2) and wasn't that impressed. So, after awhile I went to Roku and overall I really like the Roku interface and now that it has Apple TV+ it's even better (Even though I really don't think the content is that great as far as originals). That being said, anyone feel that there is anything overly special with Apple TV 4K?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So... Apple TV versus Roku... Any reason other than staying in Apple Ecosystem?
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 22, 2021 06:24AM
Looks like the new ATV is playing catch-up to Roku and Amazon. And at about twice the price.

You can play games on the ATV, if that matters. And it’s easier to AirPlay and to connect to an iTunes server using the ATV.
Re: So... Apple TV versus Roku... Any reason other than staying in Apple Ecosystem?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 22, 2021 06:36AM
Unless you are firmly entrenched in all things Apple, I don't see how it makes sense. Apple TVs are super expensive compared to Roku. They even have a new 4k model thats $40. How much is Apple's 4k model? But like I said, unless you need all those things seeker mentioned, I don't know why you'd do it. Add to that is the fact you may have multiple TVs, so do you buy multiple ATV's? Then it gets REALLY expensive. I will say my house is exclusively Apple...with the exception of a Roku (of some type) on every TV.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 22, 2021 07:08AM
Apple TV provides HomeKit hub functionality, if that matters.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 22, 2021 07:57AM
There was that Roku/HBO flap about a year ago. Could happen again?

8/27/20
"It’s been months since HBO Max and Peacock officially launched, and still, neither streaming service currently appears on the Roku platform (or Amazon, for that matter). The companies have said discussions about support were ongoing, but now we know why they’re still absent: Roku’s support fees are expensive as hell."
Date: April 22, 2021 08:09AM
DeusxMac

8/27/20
"It’s been months since HBO Max and Peacock officially launched, and still, neither streaming service currently appears on the Roku platform (or Amazon, for that matter). The companies have said discussions about support were ongoing, but now we know why they’re still absent: Roku’s support fees are expensive as hell."

Sure it could. But it will get resolved. You can watch those on the Roku now. I don't, but one could.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 22, 2021 08:12AM
bazookaman
DeusxMac

8/27/20

Sure it could. But it will get resolved. You can watch those on the Roku now. I don't, but one could.

Those who had already paid for HBO and couldn't get it were not happy.
Date: April 22, 2021 08:57AM
I will note that we have an odd scenario where we have Roku, FireTV and AppleTV devices in our household since the original ATV2. This was not planned, but we've cut the cord for about a decade and so have tried these systems. We basically went ATV2/3 models to Roku3 models to Fire, but we are back to the ATV.

We have had issues with the FireTV and Roku software from time to time, far more issues than with the ATVs. The latest software updates to the FireTV has made our original Fire Cube nearly unusable in terms of interface speed. Not sure what Amazon was thinking, that software was NOT ready for release.

We recently purchased a Roku TV late last year (55" with Roku for $199, what's not to like?), and we liked the new Roku software. But we have also experienced the joy of a known Roku bug - Roku servers wiping our Roku accounts - 3x. I think we are stable again, but this is a known Roku bug. It's a PITA to keep downloading various apps and logging in, only to have them deleted the next time you launch the Roku. Seems fixed now, what we should have done was make a totally NEW Roku account. But this kind of bug should NEVER be in a shipped product.

In the meantime, our 1080P ATV (a bonus gift from signing up for DirectTV Now, a non-existing streaming service) has been solid, though we still despise the remote in our household despite getting a case for it (for protection and to add a top and bottom differentiator).

Given that the main user of the living room TV in my house is my wife, and she's lost patience with the FireCube and refuses to use the Roku, we will be buying a new ATV as it really is far more likely to 'just work'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2021 08:58AM by sekker.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 22, 2021 09:46AM
Because the ATV just works?

Mom got a Roku TV thinking it might be easier than her ATV. It wasn't. I get calls all of the time asking how to fix something that isn't working anymore, or how to get into the new Roku store, or what her Roku password is.

Making matters worse, she has not let go of her ATV as there were some apps that she could not find on Roku. So then we get to play the fun game of switching from one to the other.

There is a lot to be said for simplicity in life, and I am willing to pay a little bit of a premium for that.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: April 22, 2021 10:06AM
I'm not saying the Roku is perfect. I've had issues. But I've never had to "fix" anything or get into the Roku store or figure out what my Roku password is. To be honest, one could have the very same issues with getting into the Apple store or losing your Apple password. All my Rokus "just work". My mom also has tons of issues doing the EXACT same thing I do with mine daily. I chalk it up to operator error. Not hardware ecosystem.

I've got 3 Roku TVs and would probably never buy another. But only b/c the Roku hardware part can only be updated so long and then you're stuck with a TV that you cannot update anymore or that is just plain slow. But for the amount of time they're used (a couple hours per month total) I put up with it. My main TV has a Roku Ultra connected and its been flawless. I've also got another much older one that I use for the outdoor theater that still works great.

They all do what I want. I mostly watch movies/tv from my Plex server or Netflix, Hulu, Amazon or whatever. And the beauty is that the interface is pretty much identical on ALL the TVs. I would not want to buy five Apple TVs. Yikes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2021 10:07AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 22, 2021 04:18PM
I gave up on Roku several years ago, p!sspoor customer support.
Now all ATVs & LG smart TVs.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Billybob
Date: April 22, 2021 04:40PM
Interesting thread to read. I have no real opinion other than I kind of fell into the Amazon FireTV realm when I decided to cut the cord about 5 years ago. I use the FTV primarily to connect to a live stream service--currently YouTubeTV but previously SonyVue before they gave up the ghost.

I also view movies, Amazon original content, and I connect to Disney (part of my Verizon bundle) and Netflix (I have to; my son works for the company).

FTV is pretty cheap at first. However, I've upgraded every device on four different TVs at least once. They do get slower over time, so it is rather incumbent to keep the hardware fairly up-to-date. It also took 3-4 generations before they added volume, mute, and power buttons to the remote (no one knew that these would be needed?). I'm a little concerned about the TV in my workout room. It's an Insignia 32" that I got for $130 total with tax. I didn't realize that it uses the FTV as its "brain", which is good and bad. Althought the interface is familiar, the most recent FTV software update froze and I feared that it bricked the TV. Fortunately, powering off restored the system to its pre-update state. The latest FTV update sucks big time. Amazon took the opportunity to add a bunch of crap to the startup screen, which I suspect is simply marketing for Amazon programing.

While slightly irritating, it generally works, and I see no imperative to switch.
Date: April 22, 2021 04:58PM
Billybob
Interesting thread to read. I have no real opinion other than I kind of fell into the Amazon FireTV realm when I decided to cut the cord about 5 years ago. I use the FTV primarily to connect to a live stream service--currently YouTubeTV but previously SonyVue before they gave up the ghost.

I also view movies, Amazon original content, and I connect to Disney (part of my Verizon bundle) and Netflix (I have to; my son works for the company).

FTV is pretty cheap at first. However, I've upgraded every device on four different TVs at least once. They do get slower over time, so it is rather incumbent to keep the hardware fairly up-to-date. It also took 3-4 generations before they added volume, mute, and power buttons to the remote (no one knew that these would be needed?). I'm a little concerned about the TV in my workout room. It's an Insignia 32" that I got for $130 total with tax. I didn't realize that it uses the FTV as its "brain", which is good and bad. Althought the interface is familiar, the most recent FTV software update froze and I feared that it bricked the TV. Fortunately, powering off restored the system to its pre-update state. The latest FTV update sucks big time. Amazon took the opportunity to add a bunch of crap to the startup screen, which I suspect is simply marketing for Amazon programing.

While slightly irritating, it generally works, and I see no imperative to switch.

No troubles with the latest FireTV software update? Painfully slow to do ANYTHING, and this is noted on the web on other FireTV devices.
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 22, 2021 06:46PM
It is an interesting thread.

We were with Roku for years and then I bought a Samsung smart TV and my wife sold the Roku for that TV on eBay. Later we got one of the streaming services (I forgot which one) and the Samsung didn't have that app. It was 4 or 5 years old so I decided to buy a Vizio smart tv. And I really didn't like it very much. It's slow and takes multiple button pushes to do anything. When TMobile did their $10 off on Philo a month ago I signed up for it and discovered that the Vizio doesn't have that app. So, I bought a new Roku, hooked it up and I'm happy again. We have another smart Vizio that my wife watches and a big Vizio in the basement that we use for sports. But, those are really just on YoutubeTV and so the slow and multiple button pushes really aren't an issue. I'll probably just buy something with Roku in it for any TV going forward. If I run into a non-update for the Roku part that bazookaman notes, I'll just buy a separate Roku for the TV. Or, heck, just replace the thing. They're pretty cheap.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: April 22, 2021 08:20PM
sekker
Billybob

No troubles with the latest FireTV software update? Painfully slow to do ANYTHING, and this is noted on the web on other FireTV devices.

I did mention that I thought that it bricked my Insignia FTV. Fortunately, I was wrong; the update didn't take. On the two FireTVs that did upgrade, I haven't noticed a slowdown. Extra clutter on the screen, but no slowdown. This might be because the two devices are fairly recent--vintage 2020--so that could explain the lack of problems.
Date: April 22, 2021 08:49PM
Smart TV's are totally a scam. My Samsung Smart TV basically became useless within a year. Their proprietary system becomes dated very quickly and they never add any apps and seem like some just stop working. So, we moved to Amazon Firestick then to Roku during black Friday a few years ago and haven't looked back. It's not perfect but it works pretty good. I think TV's with Roku or Google built in are pretty decent and will last longer than smart tv's.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 22, 2021 09:46PM
spacescape
Smart TV's are totally a scam. My Samsung Smart TV basically
became useless within a year.
My experience with LG has been just the opposite. There are regular
updates to webOS, new apps, and more steaming channels. The only
thing missing is PBS, which is PBS's fault not LG's. I get PBS via OTA, ATV,
and on the free FLEX box from Comcrap. webOS isn't perfect but I'll
take it any day before anything Google & their tracking/spying crap.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 22, 2021 11:05PM
I’m curious to learn how your Samsung Smart TV became useless within a year. Samsung is one of the top brands and they are usually rated very high. If your Samsung TV became useless within a year, why didn’t you get it fixed under warranty?
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: April 23, 2021 02:06AM
spacescape
anyone feel that there is anything overly special with Apple TV 4K?

Apple TV's specs are here:

[www.apple.com]

There's plenty of overly special stuff there including—but not limited to—a rechargeable remote, 32 or 64 GB or memory, HDMI 2.1, WiFi 6, Thread, gigabit ethernet, the A12 processor for gaming and overall responsiveness, Dolby Vision and HDR 10 HDR, Dolby Atmos support, and tvOS.
Date: April 23, 2021 02:12AM
bazookaman
Apple TVs are super expensive compared to Roku.

Roku Streambar is $130 and it is not comparable to Apple TV 4k ($170).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2021 02:16AM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 23, 2021 03:25AM
In addition to what was mentioned above, being able to calibrate the color on your TV screen with your phone is genius IMHO. A decade ago, you had to pay a technician to come to your house to take color readings with special equipment and access a hidden menu in your TV to calibrate the colors.
Date: April 23, 2021 04:55AM
Forrest
I’m curious to learn how your Samsung Smart TV became useless within a year. Samsung is one of the top brands and they are usually rated very high. If your Samsung TV became useless within a year, why didn’t you get it fixed under warranty?

Sorry, should reword that... Samsung TV is great!!! Picture is great!!! However, the smart features are not very great. Same thing with my old Vizio Smart TV (However, the picture wasn't as great). Both kind of slow and many channels never added as far as apps. Maybe the "newer" Samsung smart features are better (I think they use their proprietary Orsay OS or Tizen OS). Samsung is much better than Vizio (Again, maybe the newer ones are better). I'm thinking the 27" Roku TV's I purchased my kids this past year are going to be great for awhile... Until the hardware is too slow and they stop supporting certain apps so time will tell.

As far as useless, it is far from useless because I hooked up a Roku to it and it runs great that way. I would love to try Apple's latest TV version... I know my Apple TV2 wasn't that special but still pretty cool for the time.

Wondering when the actually AppleTV comes out with a nice 55" screen.
One thing that is neat with the Roku is that they have a Roku channel that has free content (With ads). Not that I watch it much but it's still kind of nice.
Date: April 23, 2021 08:25AM
Article Accelerator
bazookaman

I don't have a Streambar. What I do have is a Roku Ultra, which I bought for $70, b/c Roku also has, you know, discounts. So what exactly does the Apple TV offer for more than double the price? Except a lighter wallet.

Date: April 24, 2021 01:20AM
bazookaman
Article Accelerator
bazookaman

I don't have a Streambar. What I do have is a Roku Ultra, which I bought for $70, b/c Roku also has, you know, discounts. So what exactly does the Apple TV offer for more than double the price? Except a lighter wallet.

You'd have to buy the "Roku Ultra + Voice Remote Pro" for $130 to even start the comparison. As to what the Apple TV 4k offers over that bundle, see above, and add in the tvOS App Store with automatic updating for both apps and tvOS itself.

[www.roku.com]
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: April 24, 2021 04:50AM
bazookaman
Article Accelerator
bazookaman

Less headaches, less ads, good support for at least 5 years, full ecosystem, no loss of channels due to disputes, and now wiz-bang calibration.

Reading this thread and all the upgrades and flaws mentioned (slow FTV yikes) makes me realize the Apple solution is worth the extra $70 or whatever.
Date: April 25, 2021 08:58AM
1. I don't need voice control.
2. why do I need apps on a TV?
3. Everything I have on the Roku updates automatically as well.
And...
4. I've had zero headaches with all my Rokus
5. Ads? What ads?
6. I bought my first Roku in 2015. I'm still using it.
7. Everything I have works fine with my Roku and vice versa.
8. It's true. I'd be pissed if I paid for channels that I wasn't able to get. But as I said, that was resolved. And I'm sure that never has and never will happen with Apple.
9. Wiz-bang calibration? I don't need a device to tell me how to watch something for entertainment.
10. $70+ extra PER TV.

Look. I'm not here to denigrate the Apple TV. Honestly, I'm surprised it took Article Accelerator that long to jump in with the whole "nothing is better than Apple" schtick. But for what I do, on all my TVs, and the way my family uses them, Apple just doesn't offer anything to justify the extra cost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2021 09:00AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: dk62
Date: April 26, 2021 11:10AM
I fully agree that there is no clear advantage of ATV over Roku, with one possible exception below. I have had Rokus of different vintage throughout the years and no real issues with any. I never had one integrated with the TV, as that just does not make sense in my opinion. One thing that I have to say is that on ROKU Miracast is much more reliable than Airplay, which can sometimes be flaky in my hands, but it is probably just some setting I am too lazy to check.

I cut the cord more than 3 years ago and use a bunch of commercial-free streaming services (Criterion, Netflix, Prime, SHO, Hulu, Disney, Apple+, HBO Max) on ROKU connected to a projector with no issues whatsoever.

To some other points: Roku has voice commands capability for all 3 digital assistants with voice-capable remote (I dfo not use them, though); I am not sure if ethernet is Gigabit or not but who cares, it would be way overkill anyway; I think i do have Roku account but I do not use it ever. Historically, I made a choice of Roku vs ATV when Apple insisted that 720p is good enough and I never looked back.
Date: April 26, 2021 12:58PM
dk62
I made a choice of Roku vs ATV when Apple insisted that 720p is good enough

That was back in 2011. Meanwhile…
		Roku		Apple TV 4K

Bluetooth	4.2		5.0
HDMI		2.0b		2.1
WiFi		802.11ac	802.11ax ("WiFi 6")
Thread		No		Yes
Ethernet	10/100		1000

Remote		IR		IR + Bluetooth
Posted by: dk62
Date: April 26, 2021 02:54PM
The difference being that in 2011 I had a 1080 TV and that I do not have, or plan to buy, a 10K TV, which would be the only reason to worry about HDMI 2.1, WiFi6, or Gigabit Ethernet. And Roku remote is not IR only, it is WiFi direct.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020