advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I Have The Gout! Whimper!!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 23, 2021 08:20AM
Ugh, fourth flair up of the year and this one is bad. It’s attacking both ankles and I haven’t been able to stand for two days now. Fortunately, still have meds from previous flare up. Colchicine is what I’m back on, with two refills. I called my doctor today to see if there is anything else I can do and am waiting his call.

The last time I had a flair up before this year was like, 6/7 YEARS ago, and that was the first time I ever had it. I don’t know why it’s giving me so much grief this year, but it is.

Anyone have anything to share for pain relief or possibly preventing further flair ups?

Believe me, you do not want this! The pain is incredibly bad, although after getting back on the meds, it seems to be getting better.

Typing this from my iPad, so excuse any typos.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I Have The Gout! Whimper!!
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 23, 2021 08:41AM
I had it in my 20s long before I got meds to control my cholesterol and learned to control my diet. At the time I lived with a Chinese friend who cooked a lot of traditional Chinese dishes heavy with oil. The food really contributed to my gout and once I stopped eating it and lost weight it went away. I’d look into your diet and see if changes there might help. Good luck!

JoeM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2021 08:42AM by JoeM.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 23, 2021 08:50AM
Rich foods are one factor. I know Rick-o lives the high life there in the beautiful Northern Lower Peninsula!

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 23, 2021 09:02AM
Genetics and dietary factors. Get dietary recommendations and supplement recommendations from your medical professionals.

And good luck ! Never had it, but I have friends and relatives who have. OW... OW... OW..
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 23, 2021 09:12AM
So sorry to hear about your flare up of "gouch."

What are you taking to prevent flare-ups?
Posted by: davester
Date: April 23, 2021 10:21AM
Ditto. I'm having a flare-up right now. My big toe is on fire!

Here's what pretty much every info source says that, in addition to colchicine and NSAIDs, you need to do:

Stop consuming red meat, shellfish, turkey, organ meats, oily fish (sardines, anchovies, tuna, herring), sodas, alcohol (beer especially), all of which trigger gout attacks.

Do consume large amounts of water, cherries (or better yet, concentrated sour cherry juice), turmeric tea, cucumbers, celery (or celery seed), coffee, vitamin C supplements, most of which either reduce uric acid levels in your blood or reduces the acidity of your blood.

I'm currently drinking a not particularly delicious turmeric/celery seed tea right now.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 23, 2021 10:29AM
....at least you don't have....dropsy......or the croup.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 23, 2021 10:58AM
Many (most?) gout sufferers have a trigger food (mine is white meat turkey). Once you can narrow it down you just avoid it. Chinese restaurants sometimes (often?) use white meat turkey but, on the menu, call it chicken (which I guess was cheaper at the market that day). I simply stopped eating at Chinese restaurants. My podiatrist made up a 50/50 mix of a steroid and (I think) a pain killer. He started with two injection just below my knee (Inner & outer). He'd go treat another patient and come back to me. Another two shots just above the ankle, see another patient. Back to me, two more shots on the top of the foot and on to another patient. Back to me for two more "money shots" on the underside of the foot near the toes. Even with the prior injections, the "money shots" still hurt like a mutha. He then put me on two Rx meds after which I was not back to normal for 5 ~ 7 days. I had one attack in my pelvic area (I didn't know there was a joint there). Good luck with your doc, it sounds as if there has not been a great deal of improvement in treating gout. sad smiley
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 23, 2021 11:05AM
Each gout flare causes additional joint damage.

If not taking allopurinol or Uloric, it’s worthwhile discussing it with your doctor.
If you are taking one of them, the dose may need to be changed.
Some people need daily colchicine to keep attacks from happening.

This is important, not just to prevent the severe joint pain, but to prevent ongoing pain from gout-induced arthritis.
Date: April 23, 2021 11:24AM
S. Pupp
So sorry to hear about your flare up of "gouch."

What are you taking to prevent flare-ups?

My Doc has me on colchicine, but not daily. 2-3 days after pain is gone, he says to stop. After 4 flair ups in as many months, I may have to talk to him about some kind of maintenance regime to prevent flair ups. I can’t believe how painful it is!

I did get ahold of his office and he prescribed perisodin? I think a steroid that reduces inflammation.

My sister is out picking it up right now.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Date: April 23, 2021 11:27AM
Thanks all for your kind and wonderful responses! We truly do have a great forum here.thumbs up

Posted by: rgG
Date: April 23, 2021 12:36PM
Sorry for your pain.
I glanced quickly at the topic and thought it said “I am the Goat whisperer?”
Prednisone is indeed a steroid. My kitty used to be on a daily dose of prednisolone which is similar.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 23, 2021 01:05PM
Second the allopurinol.

Also, try getting rid of "white" carbs-sugar, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes.
Date: April 23, 2021 01:39PM
Be careful with the colchicine and do not stray from the dosages that your doctor specifies. It can have very serious side effects.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: archipirata
Date: April 23, 2021 03:28PM
So sorry, been there. SUCKS donkey ba!!s. I used to get about 3 attacks a year and nothing helped. About 6 years ago my doc put me on allopurinol 300mg/day and I've never had another attack.

Athens, OH
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 23, 2021 03:34PM
I had it coming on once when I was eating lots of the meat davester mentioned. I cut the meat out and it went away.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: April 23, 2021 10:59PM
Good suggestions, here. I

My experience echos what davester and testcase have written: 1) Start with the general stay-away list of foods that affect a lot of gout sufferers. 2) Track your water intake and learn to stay hydrated more than most folks. 3) Find your own particular trigger foods that really cause problems in your own body (mine are beer, red/organ/sausage meats, culinary mushrooms, anchovies, red wine, and shellfish.

I don't use the gout meds, but as others have noted, they can really work for most people. I generally stay gout-free most of the time, but maybe once or twice a year, I get caught by restaurant food that uses hidden flavor concentrates.

Last thought: I think a lot of people's joint pain and arthritis is actually on the same spectrum that gout comes from. It may not come from a built-up of uric acid per se, but of other metabolites that the body simply can't break down from the foods its being fed. I've seen this proven by watching friends alter their diets and then their joint pain goes away.

Good luck with the process, Rick-o, you'll find your way out and through.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 23, 2021 11:01PM
You can have a blood draw to determine your uric acid level. If it’s high your doctor can prescribe allopurinol to lower it and avoid future problems.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else
[colquhoun.info]
Date: April 27, 2021 01:25AM
davemchine
You can have a blood draw to determine your uric acid level. If it’s high your doctor can prescribe allopurinol to lower it and avoid future problems.

The trouble with medications is that they have significant side effects and must be taken for life. IMHO, better to switch to a low purine diet, stay hydrated, keep the weight off and eat foods that are known to reduce uric acid levels or otherwise reduce gout symptoms (tart cherry juice, berries, turmeric, celery seed, etc). My policy is that drugs are always the last, not the first recourse, only to be tried if other therapies have failed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020