advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone use Luminar for photo editing?
Posted by: Kate
Date: April 24, 2021 04:30PM
I keep looking a this, at $40 I think I might pull the trigger.
Anyone use this? Opinions please.

Kate
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone use Luminar for photo editing?
Posted by: jonny
Date: April 24, 2021 05:46PM
Never heard of it, but I have seen affinity mentioned several times in the form. $25.
[affinity.serif.com]?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 24, 2021 06:55PM
I’ve purchased two versions of it. They like to say it’s better because it’s not a subscription. Effectively, it is a subscription.

Whatever the current version is will have a whizbang feature and some bugs they won’t fix. But next year there’s a new version to buy that also includes the fix and a new whizbang feature. Possibly you see a pattern here.

If you buy it every year it’s still cheaper than say, Lightroom, which has actual support and development. Last year Photoshop Elements got the scene replacement feature and so forth. Overall, I’m done with Luminar even though at the time it let me easily do some things I couldn’t have done otherwise.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 24, 2021 08:13PM
I have been using it since the first version when the company was called Macphun and have bought every version since. I also use their Aurora HD and still use Macphun’s Noiseless along with Photoshop. They started out very promising but unfortunately have changed course on what they want the program to be a number of times now. Currently they are selling Luminar 4, the last version with layers and now Luminar AI, a whole new program that currently doesn’t include layers.

They seem to be moving to a model that is focusing on Styles or looks that you apply with one click. You can then edit the Style or bypass their Style and edit yourself. Their new thing is AI replacement of skies with the ability to reflect the new sky in any body of water in your shot.

The program seems to be problematic for people with underpowered computers but I’m running it on a 2019 Power Mac and have no real issues. I don’t use them on their own, I use both L4 and Luminar AI as plugins in Photoshop, primarily as filters. They are really nice used in that capacity. If you prefer more traditional editing like Photoshop Luminar 4 is a better, although support will end at some point in the future. They have said the direction they are going in is Luminar AI. To me, Luminar AI feeling more like Snapseed on steroids.

Hope this helps.

JoeM
Posted by: davester
Date: April 24, 2021 09:33PM
I've been using Luminar 2018 (which is somewhere between Luminar 3 and 4) for quite a while. I mostly use it as a plugin to Mac Photos. It's pretty nice, though I don't like the frequency of paid upgrades.

Edit: I just found out that 2018 is below Luminar 3 and there was a free upgrade to 3 so that is what I'm now running. I'll probably move on to Luminar Ai but since I'm not currently doing a lot of photo editing may wait until the next version that will likely be out in December.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2021 12:56PM by davester.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: April 25, 2021 01:29AM
I've been using it for about 2 years. I do not use any of the presets. It's easy to use and produces some good results.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: April 25, 2021 10:31AM
i have been using Luminar since 2017.

I have paid upgraded 3x.

For me, it is MUCH EASIER to achieve nice results than PhotoShop/LightRoom.

YMMV.

I use it both as a standalone app and an Apple Photo plug-in.

I do not have the current AI version.

With their nearly continuous, promo pricing, I am a satisfied consumer.

Stay well.

Rob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020