advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Eye floaters just increased almost exponentially
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 25, 2021 06:18PM
I'm 71 and have had a few floaters the last few years, but knew they were normal with age. The last month they have probably tripled or quadrupled. Is that indicative of some bodily change that needs to be looked into?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Eye floaters just increased almost exponentially
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 25, 2021 06:39PM
see your doctor ASAP
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 25, 2021 07:08PM
See your doctor.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 25, 2021 07:40PM
Get to your ophthalmologist ASAP !

A sudden increase in floaters -- I had that myself -- can be an indicator of posterior vitreous detachment (what it was in my case), retinal detachment or tears, etc. None of that you want to fool around with.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 25, 2021 07:41PM
See an ophthalmologist ASAP, or risk permanent vision loss.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: April 25, 2021 07:43PM
ASAP.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 25, 2021 08:06PM
Maybe get to the ER? Sounds too serious to wait.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 25, 2021 08:23PM
Yeah - an acquaintance developed a fungal infection in his eyeball once, and a rapid increase in floaters is not normal.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 26, 2021 10:00AM
Floaters are normal in older folks. The vitreous tends to liquify and break down as we age causing pieces to separate. It could be normal but you should be seeing an eye doctor to establish a base and then have regular checkups. The real danger is if you happen to see arcs of light flashes. This indicates that the retina is detaching and repair needs to happen immediately to prevent blindness. I’d make it a point to see an eye doc ASAP. I’ve had both retinas detach and have had seven operations so I have a bit of experience with this.

JoeM
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 26, 2021 10:26AM
I'd be calling my Opthamologist immediately, to ask if this is something I need to come in immediately for, or make an appointment for, or to meet him at the ER for.

One way or another, there's an Opthamologist in your future.

I've had those stupid things my whole life... (you can see them much more clearly when focusing your eye through aperture typle rifle sights, so I noticed them earlier than most). Under just the right lighting conditions, it's like looking through a jar of marmalade... If I saw a sudden increase in 'em, you bet I'd be headed for my eye doc's office.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: April 26, 2021 11:07AM
I'm seeing an opthamologist Tuesday morning.
Date: April 26, 2021 11:34AM
Dennis S

thumbs up

If it's been happening for a month, it's likely not something urgent, but still important to get it taken care of as quickly as possible.

I myself am stuck with some pretty awful floaters in one eye, and have been considering either vitrectomy or laser vitreolysis for awhile now. In the meantime, I've also been trying some self-administered enzymatic therapy that probably won't work, but is still worth trying, since it's so much less invasive than either of the other treatments.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 26, 2021 02:32PM
Dennis S
smiley-score010
Best news I've read today!

I'm 71 ...
Medicare covers an annual vision test w/ glaucoma screening. Your
insurance may charge a small co-pay.
(Make sure you are seen by an ophthalmologist and not an optometrist.)
Having cataract surgery in both eyes and T2D, I get a free diabetic
retinopathy exam annually.

btw, my ophthalmologist (surgeon) told me to immediately call him if
I ever experience 'floaters'.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: pdq
Date: April 26, 2021 07:41PM
PeterB
Dennis S

thumbs up

If it's been happening for a month, it's likely not something urgent, but still important to get it taken care of as quickly as possible.

I myself am stuck with some pretty awful floaters in one eye, and have been considering either vitrectomy or laser vitreolysis for awhile now. In the meantime, I've also been trying some self-administered enzymatic therapy that probably won't work, but is still worth trying, since it's so much less invasive than either of the other treatments.

I went in a few years back to the local med school and got examined by the head of Opthalmology for my floaters. The student/resident shadowing him said “how many do you have?” and I kind of snort-laughed at him and said “how many? There’s a whole network of them”. That’s true for me- kind of more like a loose clump of yarn - but I felt kind of bad cause this kid seemed a little taken aback.

Anyway, after it was all done, the head of the department said “Yup. You have world-class floaters”. And that was that. I was kinda hoping they could do something about them? Nope.
Date: April 26, 2021 07:45PM
I keep thinking I see mice running across the room.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 26, 2021 08:40PM
Paul F.
I've had those stupid things my whole life... (you can see them much more clearly when focusing your eye through aperture typle rifle sights, so I noticed them earlier than most). Under just the right lighting conditions, it's like looking through a jar of marmalade... If I saw a sudden increase in 'em, you bet I'd be headed for my eye doc's office.

The rifle range at high school was where I realized I had floaters AND needed glasses. Probably should have had them at least 4 years before that.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 26, 2021 10:07PM
Did you have violent bouts of sneezing just before the increase of floaters began?

One more vote to see an OPHTHALMOLOGIST ASAP.
Date: April 26, 2021 10:31PM
I had maybe two rounds* of moderate sneezing a day, on average.

* A "round" is two consecutive sneezes.
Date: April 27, 2021 10:00AM
pdq
PeterB
Dennis S

thumbs up

I went in a few years back to the local med school and got examined by the head of Opthalmology for my floaters. The student/resident shadowing him said “how many do you have?” and I kind of snort-laughed at him and said “how many? There’s a whole network of them”. That’s true for me- kind of more like a loose clump of yarn - but I felt kind of bad cause this kid seemed a little taken aback.

Anyway, after it was all done, the head of the department said “Yup. You have world-class floaters”. And that was that. I was kinda hoping they could do something about them? Nope.

Many ophthalmologists (too many, actually) are dismissive of floaters as something that you can't or shouldn't do anything about. That view is changing, but probably not quickly enough. There are things that can be done, admittedly at the moment, only surgically and therefore relatively invasively. Again, that's something that might change with time.

Floaters can be debilitating -- in my case, they are super-annoying and not something I necessarily want to live with for the rest of my life... that's why I'm trying some enzymes, I feel like I have nothing to lose, rather than having to intervene surgically (which I feel should be a last resort).

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 29, 2021 06:46PM
....what about floaters......in the pool.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 168
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020