advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Yesterday... ANTS cut mah inter webs!
Posted by: Diana
Date: April 26, 2021 03:12PM
My internet service went down, for the first time in at least 8 months. I waited a few hours, as things happen sometimes and it might come back up, when I was surprised to get a phone call from the company providing internet asking me what was going on, as they hadn't seen any traffic from us. I told them that the service was down; it might come back up and I was waiting a bit before calling them. He asked if I had rebooted the router, and I said yes (of course it was the first thing I did), describing what happened when I did so. He said that normally he would ask for a reboot, but since it was obvious that I had done so, he then proceeded to ask about the lights on the modem: which ones were lit and which ones were not. Oh, he says, looks like we need to schedule someone to come out and look at it as it could be the modem but just as easily could be something outside. We've had a LOT of rain recently so it is possible some critter crawled up the pole (or the house) and found a dry spot.

He came out, and found ANTS in the box at the pole.

Well, not quite 24 hours later I now have internet connectivity; I didn't have to call nor futz around trying to get someone to take a look at it. I didn't have to wait DAYS to get it resolved. A big shout-out to Oklahoma Electric Cooperative for providing both fiber internet (blazing fast and stable when compared to Cox) AND stellar customer service.

That is all. Now, back to your regular programming ...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Yesterday... ANTS cut mah inter webs!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 26, 2021 03:15PM
I just posted directly below about ants causing my AC not to work. Damn ants.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 26, 2021 03:21PM
....what did the uncles do.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: April 26, 2021 03:22PM
Yeah. Damn ants!

I know how you feel. They got into the outside AC unit one year and necessitated a service call. Now that I know what to look for hopefully I'll remember next time. Maybe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 03:23PM by Diana.
Date: April 26, 2021 03:23PM
NewtonMP2100

Stood by and did NOTHING!!!
Posted by: hal
Date: April 26, 2021 03:25PM
that's some pretty damned good service from your ISP. They CALLED YOU before you called them - never heard of that.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 26, 2021 03:41PM
Seems someone your ISP has an extraordinary interest in what you do - so what is it you do? secret smiley
Posted by: neophyte
Date: April 26, 2021 03:54PM
...as they hadn't seen any traffic from us.

They actually MONITOR your traffic?

Well, I guess that resolves problems sooner than the way it works here; we phone in to report an outage and the tech responds "well I don't see any reported outages in your "area" (meaning no one else has called in a problem, yet), so we'll send someone out 24-36 hours". Meanwhile, my neighbors start texting each other asking if their internet is down too. Call tech support again and now they confirm other reports of outages "in your area", but still 24 hours until a tech can "get there". And I live in the suburbs, not the boonies.

Fsking monopolies.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 26, 2021 04:10PM
Damn beavers:

[www.msn.com]
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 26, 2021 04:17PM
Wasps used to build nests inside the feed horn to our big satellite dish.
They would totally disrupt the signal.
I had to put a plastic cup over the back of the feed horn to keep them out. RollingEyesSmiley5

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 26, 2021 04:25PM
First: a pro-active ISP, gotta love that.

Second: How much time do you spend on the 'webs that you're conspicuous by your absence?!

LOL!

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 26, 2021 04:29PM
somewhere in Australia
"These birds are unstoppable when in a swarm," co-project manager Chedryian Bresland said in an article on the company's website on Friday.

"I guess that's Australia for you; if the spiders and snakes don't get you, the cockies will."

The company says it is currently installing protective casing which costs just A$14 each, that will protect the wires from birds in future and save their three billion dollar network.

[www.bbc.com]

Swaming cockatoos. They SWARM?

At $14 each (AUD) those are expensive condoms for their cockies.
Date: April 26, 2021 05:04PM
RgrF
Seems someone your ISP has an extraordinary interest in what you do - so what is it you do? secret smiley

Nothing more than what anyone else would do. They are in competition with Cox cable, billing themselves as better: "Tired of your internet provider? Yeah, we thought so..." is actually on their billboards around town.

I work at a medical research institution as a staff member in the lab. I don't see anything that is proprietary nor do I work at a level where getting "scooped" on the next big thing is an issue.

dunno smiley
Posted by: apocketfulofwry
Date: April 26, 2021 05:09PM
"I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords…"

[www.youtube.com]
Date: April 26, 2021 05:12PM
neophyte
...as they hadn't seen any traffic from us.

They actually MONITOR your traffic?

Well, I guess that resolves problems sooner than the way it works here; we phone in to report an outage and the tech responds "well I don't see any reported outages in your "area" (meaning no one else has called in a problem, yet), so we'll send someone out 24-36 hours". Meanwhile, my neighbors start texting each other asking if their internet is down too. Call tech support again and now they confirm other reports of outages "in your area", but still 24 hours until a tech can "get there". And I live in the suburbs, not the boonies.

Fsking monopolies.

I don't think they monitor it to see what you are doing as much as checking to see if there are issues or problems on the network. If they are wanting to see the you-tube videos, emails, etc they are welcome to it as nothing sensitive gets sent unless encrypted: work is via VPN, etc.

One of the issues with the previous internet provider is that the network would either hang or just die periodically. It got to the point that you could almost set your watch by it. I would have to reboot the modem three and four times a night before just giving up. Either their system was way over-extended and thus was carrying way too much traffic, or just was no longer reliable, and either way it was the same result for me: I couldn't use what I was paying for.

Edit: We are often online, either for my work or the spousal unit's, or just for entertainment. Since the patten has been established over the last several months to nearly a year, it would be odd if suddenly there was nothing. Also, OEC can keep up with how their system is responding to peak usage, and if they need to expand the network or limit the number of subscribers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 05:26PM by Diana.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 26, 2021 05:22PM

good ISP response

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 05:27PM by Steve G..
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 26, 2021 05:56PM
Diana
NewtonMP2100

Stood by and did NOTHING!!!

smiley-laughing001
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 26, 2021 06:06PM
Steve G.

good ISP response

GREAT MOVIE

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: jonny
Date: April 26, 2021 06:32PM
apocketfulofwry

[www.youtube.com]

Beat me to it!!
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 26, 2021 09:59PM
apocketfulofwry

[www.youtube.com]

Got an email from Spectrum today apologizing for their previous overly optomistic email apologizing for an outage - first time ever (going back to Time/Warner days) did they even attempt to say sorry.

Countdown to cord cutting* - T minus 10 9 days.

*called 3weeks ago to cancel all but internet but the bastids said "no pro-rate, you cancel today we still bill you the $220 for the month". It's like someone in their hierarchy sits up nights thinking of new ways to piss-off customers.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: April 27, 2021 08:43AM
There's something about electrical circuits and "Fire Ants". We are overrun with fire ants and I've seen many electrical breakers that fail.

When you open them up they are filled with fried Fire Ants. It seems like the AC current draws them. They are very small but make up for it by their numbers.

Fred
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 27, 2021 09:53AM
Ah… the film Phase IV comes to mind…
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020