advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New iPhone SE or XR?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 28, 2021 11:23AM
My iPhone 7 128Gb is really getting on my nerves with all it's little quirks and issues. I know the SE has a faster processor but my eyes are not getting any better with cataracts and all. Thinking a larger screen might help some. I like the idea of a faster processor but also the idea of a slightly larger screen with a not too much larger physical size. If I go with the XR I'm afraid I'm going to miss the Home button. My iPhone 7 was almost completely rebuilt by Apple last January, new battery and motherboard under a program for free but doesn't seem to have helped a lot. There's $100 difference between the two. WWYD?

Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New iPhone SE or XR?
Posted by: davester
Date: April 28, 2021 11:34AM
No, you won't miss the Home button. I missed my home button for all of a day and then I forgot about it completely. The nicer screen and better camera or the XR are worth a lot IMHO.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: zachdog
Date: April 28, 2021 11:44AM
I like buttons, so I bought the SE. It's a great phone.

My wife prefers the 11, which is similar to the Xr. These are all great phones -- much faster than the 7.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 28, 2021 12:19PM
make sure the notch does not bother you. I wish my 12 pro did not have that notch
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: April 28, 2021 12:29PM
Embrace the future, I say.
grinning smiley
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 28, 2021 12:35PM
My wife has the Xr. You likely won't miss the button, she complained at first but got over it. Both are better than the 7 she gave up. my daughter-in-law also has an Xr, she lives on it and really likes it.

I have an SE, it is okay except I find it a bit bulky (my other option was a 12 mini at $700+, but I am cheap).

If you don't mind the larger size, then go for the Xr

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 28, 2021 01:00PM
you will miss the Home button but you also will adapt. it's not a deal breaker. in fact, i use my 6 as a webcam and sometimes i forget how the Home button works.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 28, 2021 01:31PM
I have no idea on the market prices for these -- but if you can with an 11 -- its substantially better than the Xr

i went with the 12 mini (got $700 from a trade in) from an OG SE and I miss the home button.

Primarily when my phone is on my desk, and I need to open it. Have to pick it up and look at it or type in the code. PITA.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 28, 2021 05:42PM
128Gb SE is $450
128Gb XR is $550
128Gb 11 is $650

Hopefully they'll give me $90 for my 7.

I'm kinda cheap and don't want to spend the money on the latest and greatest. Sure I'd like to have the newest but I don't really need it.

Thanks everyone for the input! Probably going to go XR.

Grateful11
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 28, 2021 06:15PM
Still Rocking with the XR 128GB, waiting to upgrade to 12 128GB (Sometime in July/Aug). As mentioned. The button is a non issue. My wife and FIL transitioned quickly. (They can both be stubborn)

Edit: iPhone 7 runs $105–170 on swappa (depends on condition/Network/RAM). I was able to sell both iPad Air 2 I had posted here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2021 06:22PM by Carm.
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 28, 2021 06:21PM
I still miss the button. I'd go for the SE. old fogey smiley
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 28, 2021 08:09PM
I sold my wife's 7 32gb for $120 in March on Swappa. Battery was only at 82 percent, the higher it is the better the price

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2021 08:10PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 28, 2021 08:40PM
I'll be odd man out and say go for the 12 Pro...sell something extra or forgo a dinner out or three. The 12 Pro is an amazing device.

I missed the button for about 5 minutes. My wife missed it for maybe a week.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 29, 2021 01:34PM
Markintosh
I'll be odd man out and say go for the 12 Pro...sell something extra or forgo a dinner out or three. The 12 Pro is an amazing device.

I missed the button for about 5 minutes. My wife missed it for maybe a week.

This. The iP12 is amazing. If you need to save a bit, the Pro isn't THAT much better than the 12.

I missed the button when I purchased the X for a day, then again with masks. But iOS14.5 really does a good job unlocking using my Apple Watch, if that's a worry.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: April 29, 2021 06:42PM
I moved from a 6s plus to a xs max. I miss the home button. Face ID is a problem especially with using it on the run. And you can’t orient the camera to read your face. I picked the xs max because it was the cheapest oled screen iPhone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2021 06:46PM by pqrst.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 30, 2021 02:56PM
Your cell provider may also have 11 Pro models at a discounted rate!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020