advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any folks shooting video (with audio) on Nikons (D500)?
Posted by: jonny
Date: April 28, 2021 06:22PM
I borrowed a friend's D500 to film some of my lectures for online use, and I am surprised by how much hiss there is in the audio. I'm using an external lav mic, but even with the internal, or with the lav plugged in and turned off, there is constant hiss on the track. Anyone have similar experiences?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any folks shooting video (with audio) on Nikons (D500)?
Posted by: datbeme
Date: April 28, 2021 07:53PM
My primary camera is a D500, but I've seldom used it for video. In my limited experimentation, it's been useless for video if not on a tripod. Acceptable steadiness and focus are nearly impossible for me even with a monopod, but for a fixed tripod camera angle that I can set up ahead of time, it's been fine.

I do not recall noticeable audio hissing, but I admit that audio has been even less of a priority. I have done so in a pinch though, so the hissing you describe doesn't seem normal. Kind of a pain, but can you record the audio separately and sync up after the fact?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 28, 2021 08:28PM
jonny
I borrowed a friend's D500 to film some of my lectures for online use, and I am surprised by how much hiss there is in the audio. I'm using an external lav mic, but even with the internal, or with the lav plugged in and turned off, there is constant hiss on the track. Anyone have similar experiences?

I don’t know about the D500 but the Nikon Z6 is reported to have a pre amp for the mic port that causes a hiss. It could be a manufacturer product sibling issue.

Saw this on a photo forum:
I do a significant amount of audio recording. I'll check the Z6's noise & remedies for you.

As far as remedies go, even before testing, I'd recommend getting a noise profile and algorithmically removing it. It's conceptually similar to how noise reduction works in photos or video.

A free tool that does this well is Audacity:

[manual.audacityteam.org]
Essentially, you'll want to load the audio into audacity, select a few seconds of "silence" from the audio (pure noise), and then "teach" audacity that this is what the noise sounds like.

Afterwords you've loaded the profile, tell Audacity to remove the noise from the rest of the audio. It may work surprisingly well for y

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2021 08:42PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 28, 2021 09:18PM
Ironic is Nikon was the first to mass market video mode in interchangeable lens cameras but have fallen behind Canon and Sony in video capability.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: April 28, 2021 09:45PM
I figured I'd have to do dual-system sound, but maybe I'll try filtering. The sound doesn't have to be perfect, but straight out of the camera, the hiss is untenable.
Thanks.
Date: April 28, 2021 11:33PM
Update: I took it into Premiere and their noise filter is unusable. Audacity's is very good, but I also found out that you can send a clip from Premiere to Adobe Audition, which has very powerful noise filtering. I think I'll go with that. Thanks again.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 30, 2021 09:44AM
This is strictly a budget issue. Cameras as a rule will not have a quality audio section. If you’re serious enough to notice the inevitable hiss caused by the cheap internal mic preamp, then you have a decision to make about how to improve it.

The answer is by using an external audio recorder and then syncing it later in post. Camera makers compete in the video features that look good on a spec sheet. Yes, there are audio specs basic enough to provide a very strong hint that the quality would be junk, but photography nerds aren’t going to know enough to push makers to become audio engineers. It’s an afterthought.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 30, 2021 09:49AM
Audio recorders that are better than the built-in audio don’t cost much, which shows you just how little camera makers put into the effort.

$200 spent would be deluxe for any amateur, $100 or $60 would still be a huge improvement over the built-in audio. Google “external audio recorder DSLR” and it’s all there.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 30, 2021 10:08AM
Get a cheap shotgun mic to plug into the input. I assume the D500 has an input.

Hurts like a bastid...
Date: April 30, 2021 10:23AM
mrbigstuff
Get a cheap shotgun mic to plug into the input. I assume the D500 has an input.
Yeah, I'm plugging in a lav mic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 147
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020