advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"Local Hero" is my favorite movie, but I'm afraid to recommend it since a lot of people won't like it
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 28, 2021 11:07PM
On the Netflix reviews, lots of people rag it because it's slow or boring.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Local Hero" is my favorite movie, but I'm afraid to recommend it since a lot of people won't like it
Posted by: hal
Date: April 28, 2021 11:32PM
Dennis S

they're idiots - it's a GREAT movie. great in every way.
Re: "Local Hero" is my favorite movie, but I'm afraid to recommend it since a lot of people won't like it
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: April 28, 2021 11:40PM
Not necessarily on Netflix or Amazon Prime:

"Comfort and Joy"(1984) (also slow-paced, but has its moments)

"Welcome to Collinwood"(2002) is a hoot.

"Consuming Passions"(1988) also hootworthy

"Waking Ned Devine"(1998) hootable

=TC
Posted by: DP
Date: April 29, 2021 05:52AM
LH is right up there with the best. Love the guy on the motorbike...

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: April 29, 2021 06:14AM
Great flick and soundtrack. Mark Knopfler is a master.
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2021 06:21AM by Randalls.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 29, 2021 06:15AM
great Lancaster. tell them it has cool gun battles, car chases, CGI and neked woman.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 29, 2021 06:43AM
If I may-another great film that doesn't have "cool gun battles, car chases, CGI and neked woman", is Big Night with Stanley Tucci, especially if you're a foodie.

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 29, 2021 06:55AM
are you sure there wasn't a car chase in Big Night?

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 29, 2021 07:15AM
Dennis S

Sure it's slow and boring.

But that's what makes getting to the end so special.

I'm only half-kidding. It's shot beautifully and the acting is top-notch, but it's a slog to the end nevertheless, on the first sitting.

This is one of those movies that benefits from the old "HBO effect." You come across it accidentally on a rainy Sunday afternoon and decide to sit through it having nothing better to do. "Surprisingly good movie," you think, and move on. A few months later, you're up at 2am and catch it halfway through. Now you know what to expect, but you enjoyed the characters and maybe it'll help you get to sleep so why not leave it on... A few months later it's on again and this time you're thinking, "What was going on in that scene? I missed the joke..." and so you watch it from start to finish.

After a few years you've got a sentimental attachment to it.

'Doesn't happen with Netflix.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 29, 2021 07:34AM
....and then a hero comes a long.....with the strength to carry on.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: lost in space
Date: April 29, 2021 09:08AM
Another great, slow one with Lancaster - Atlantic City

Posted by: testcase
Date: April 29, 2021 10:03AM
EVERY movie will have viewers that don’t like it / just don’t get it. If YOU like it, that’s all that matters.

PS: I enjoyed it too.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 29, 2021 11:14AM
I am a big fan of Local Hero.

Each time I watched it, there was something new.

It was fresh for several viewings.

After that, it's merely charming and entertaining.

And there's a lot of room in my life for a charming and entertaining movie without explosions, car chases, and destroyed fruit and produce stands.

Not that there's anything wrong with those.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: April 29, 2021 11:57AM
Agree that Local Hero is a nice movie. On the other hand, shouldn't a movie with Hero in the title sport at least one character with a cape?

Todd's kerpow-board
Date: April 29, 2021 01:25PM
DP
LH is right up there with the best. Love the guy on the motorbike...

That's one of the things the detractors didn't like: " What does the guy on the motorbike have to do with anything?"
Date: April 29, 2021 01:28PM
Fritz
great Lancaster. tell them it has cool gun battles, car chases, CGI and neked woman.

Heck, it has a Porsche, jet planes, a helicopter, attempted wife-swapping, feet kissing, an out of wedlock baby...
Date: April 29, 2021 01:37PM
"Knox Oil and ga-yus. Knox Oil and ga-yus. Knox Oil and ga-yus."

" There's two G's in 'bugger off.'

"Mr. Happerhapper."

"Mr. H-A-P-P-P-E-R."

"He had a name. He had two names."

"Whose baby is that?"

"Why do you like him?" "He's different?"
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: April 29, 2021 04:08PM
One of my favorite movies. Stars Wedge Antilles! And the twelfth Doctor is in there, too! How could anyone not like it? "How do you do business with a man who has no door?"
Posted by: Kate
Date: May 02, 2021 12:50AM
I love it too.
Also Hear My Song, in my mind, a really fine film a lot of people have never seen or even heard of.

Kate
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020