advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Time Machine has me completely stumped. Isn't it supposed to be easy?
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: April 30, 2021 08:18AM
After reading countless articles about how Time Machine is super easy and foolproof, I'm...fooled. Background: I set up a TM disk after migrating to an M1 Mini back in February. Prior to that I'd been using SuperDuper for backups. As far as I can see, TM's been running seamlessly in the background ever since.

Today, just for the heck of it, I thought I'd poke around and see if I could find an older version of a current document. When I hit "enter Time Machine" I can see the outlines of several past finder windows behind the current window, plus the scrolling bar along the right side of the monitor. But there's nothing clickable. Nothing. Clicking on the arrows above and below the "Today" text does nothing. Clicking anywhere on the vertical timeline bar does nothing.

I don't get it. What the heck am I doing wrong?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Time Machine has me completely stumped. Isn't it supposed to be easy?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 30, 2021 08:31AM
prymsnap
I don't get it. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Join the club. TM sucks.

Date: April 30, 2021 08:42AM
Update: I may have found the issue: The file I wanted to explore is on an external drive. While the drive shows up in the TM's image of the finder window, apparently its content is NOT backed up unless the default exceptions are changed.

My other active backup protocols include BackBlaze and CCC, so it's not like I'm unprotected. But the default TM settings (external drives being excluded) caught me by surprise. What I need to do now is decide if I really want TM to back up those externals in addition to my Mini's internal drive, in which case I need to pop for a larger capacity TM drive. Which really isn't a big deal these days.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 30, 2021 08:43AM
Yep. Never had any luck whatsoever with Time Machine.
My Time Capsule is being used as a router only, with Time Machine on my Mac stating "No backups in 96 days." And that's after completely deleting and starting over, when it turns out the prior backup was corrupted - which I found out when Big Sur beta crashed my system and I needed to restore from backup.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 30, 2021 08:54AM
.....H.G. Wells......seems to like TM.....without issues.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 30, 2021 09:03AM
I agree with others that observe that TM is easy until its not. That said, I think its worth working through its foibles.

Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 30, 2021 11:17AM
I boot up my iMac from an external SSD. What I haven’t been able to figure out in TM is how to backup the boot drive plus the internal drive and/or other attached HDs. I use CCC to backup manually but it’s more cumbersome and easy to forget to do on a regular basis.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: April 30, 2021 11:23AM
Ammo
I boot up my iMac from an external SSD. What I haven’t been able to figure out in TM is how to backup the boot drive plus the internal drive and/or other attached HDs. I use CCC to backup manually but it’s more cumbersome and easy to forget to do on a regular basis.

Did you already try this?
1. Go to TM preferences
2. Click Options
3. Add or subtract attached drives on the "exclusion" list
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 30, 2021 11:32AM
Im in the opposite camp. Ive never had an issue with TM. Used it for years and years.

A year or so ago I changed the way I was setup and decided I wanted a bootable backup as well.

Dropped TM, bought CCC and setup the whole thing. I find CCC cumbersome all all get out. Finding deleted files is no easy task. The backup process takes forever. I had set it to backup every hour like TM, but it took 30 minutes to do a backup. Yes, it was just an incremental one.

As soon as I replace my iMac with whatever new one comes out, I will be switching back to TM.

Maybe I will keep CCC for just the bootable backup option... but that's it.

pry -- mine backed up everything, including externals, default. The only thing it *doesnt* backup are things you exclude. I had an external boot + external working drive both TMed to another external, and internal drive not in use was excluded. Seemed really easy.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 30, 2021 01:05PM
TM is EASY. Have any of you complainers looked up how to use it? Any instruction page can make you and expert in just a few paragraphs.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 30, 2021 01:27PM
hal
TM is EASY. Have any of you complainers looked up how to use it? Any instruction page can make you and expert in just a few paragraphs.

This...
I remember "back in the day" trying to set up various backup softwares... what a damn nightmare! 90% of the problems people have with TimeMachine are when they try to make it do something other than what it's meant to do.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: April 30, 2021 02:49PM
Paul F.
hal

This...
I remember "back in the day" trying to set up various backup softwares... what a damn nightmare! 90% of the problems people have with TimeMachine are when they try to make it do something other than what it's meant to do.

retrospect was the #1 backup software - what a fricken nightmare to use that was! Sure, it was powerful and could ANYTHING, IFFF you knew how to do it. It came with a 250 page manual.

[just googled to make sure I wasn't exaggerating - just found the current Windows pdf guide - it's 579 pages! [s3.amazonaws.com] ]
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 30, 2021 07:26PM
prymsnap
Ammo

Did you already try this?
1. Go to TM preferences
2. Click Options
3. Add or subtract attached drives on the "exclusion" list

My external boot SSD is being backed up. However, my internal iMac HD isn't. When I open TM Prefs, it gives me the option to exclude HDs, but there doesn't seem to be an option to add my internal HD to the TM backup. I do have system files on the internal drive. Could that be the problem?

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: April 30, 2021 08:15PM
When I set up my external boot drive, it completely messed up my TM backup because I forgot to exclude the internal drive and TM was backing up everything.

Can't understand why your internal isn't being backed up...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 190
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020