advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
2021 Apple TV 4K versus 2017 Apple TV 4K - Who should buy the new model, and who should not
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 30, 2021 03:16PM
A basic but informative article regarding Apple TV, for people who aren't much familiar with it.

2021 Apple TV 4K versus 2017 Apple TV 4K - Who should buy the new model, and who should not

The new Apple TV 4K has a lot going for it, but chiefly depending on who you are and whether you already have a previous one. Here's who the new version benefits, and who it doesn't.

If you want the new Apple TV 4K, and it's in your budget, then you go right ahead and get it. It is a very good device with a huge amount to offer and we're not here to suggest otherwise.

But we are here to point out who specifically gets the most from that huge amount to offer. The short version is that if you've never had an Apple TV before, this is the one to buy. And if you already have the most recent Apple TV 4K, it isn't.

At either $179 or $199, the new Apple TV 4K isn't a casual purchase. And if cost-saving options are key, Apple TV 4K can easily be beaten.

More at [appleinsider.com]

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 2021 Apple TV 4K versus 2017 Apple TV 4K - Who should buy the new model, and who should not
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 30, 2021 05:43PM
There is no clearance pricing on the old AppleTV 4K. It was on Amazon the other day for $185 (64 GB version). Today, Amazon is only taking preorders for the new model at full retail price.
Re: 2021 Apple TV 4K versus 2017 Apple TV 4K - Who should buy the new model, and who should not
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 30, 2021 06:05PM
RAM,

The problem is that as much as the AppleTV is a nice device, for streaming, it's far from the best option for streaming. The only reason to go with it is if you're invested in the Apple ecosystem. Otherwise, dollar for dollar, a Roku or one of the other competitors is a better option.

Robert
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 30, 2021 06:12PM
Robert M
RAM,

The problem is that as much as the AppleTV is a nice device, for streaming, it's far from the best option for streaming. The only reason to go with it is if you're invested in the Apple ecosystem. Otherwise, dollar for dollar, a Roku or one of the other competitors is a better option.

Robert

Why?

It is what it is.
Date: April 30, 2021 06:30PM
N-OS,

Features for the price.

Robert
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 30, 2021 06:32PM
I've posted our unintended experiments earlier, and I stand by the view that the ATV really does 'just work'.

Our FireCube is quite slow due to software updates. Our 1080P ATV still runs circles around the FireCube in speed.

Our Rokus have had software issues, and right now they cannot get YouTubeTV, our favorite streaming service (though we are dumping it due to price increases and lost content).

If you are price-sensitive, the ATV could be a stretch.

But I'm sure we will enjoy the new model now that we now have a 4k TV and 4k content.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 30, 2021 06:57PM
sekker
Our Rokus have had software issues, and right now they cannot get YouTubeTV, our favorite streaming service (though we are dumping it due to price increases and lost content).

"Software squabbles" would be more accurate, I think. Roku *could* have YouTubeTV, but Roku is arguing with Google over user data (or so they claim).

Similar to how it took Roku a while to get HBO Max. Roku was arguing with HBO over licensing fees (I had no idea Roku was getting paid to allow these apps on their platform).
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 30, 2021 07:27PM
Robert M
RAM,

Robert

Apparently them's fighting words around here.

Date: April 30, 2021 08:36PM
Gareth
sekker

"Software squabbles" would be more accurate, I think. Roku *could* have YouTubeTV, but Roku is arguing with Google over user data (or so they claim).

Similar to how it took Roku a while to get HBO Max. Roku was arguing with HBO over licensing fees (I had no idea Roku was getting paid to allow these apps on their platform).

The Roku business model is what makes this a major vulnerability.

I admit, I like the Roku interface, and I am fine with their remotes too.

But the experience deleting our apps and settings on several occasions has soured me.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 30, 2021 09:12PM
The AppleTV is the best out there - period. Nothing comes close. I also believe the Lamborghini Aventador S 2dr Coupe AWD (6.5L 12cyl 7AM) is the best car. The Lamborghini is $418K - just out of my price range RollingEyesSmiley5. However I can afford the Latest and greatest Apple TV. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 30, 2021 09:20PM
Forrest
The AppleTV is the best out there - period. Nothing comes close. I also believe the Lamborghini Aventador S 2dr Coupe AWD (6.5L 12cyl 7AM) is the best car. The Lamborghini is $418K - just out of my price range RollingEyesSmiley5. However I can afford the Latest and greatest Apple TV. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.

Funny you mention that Lambo - I saw one in the wild yesterday. Stuck in rush hour traffic on the 10E/405S transition - oh, the sweet irony. It was absolutely gorgeous, though.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2021 09:22PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 30, 2021 10:33PM
The only reason to go with it is if you're invested in the Apple ecosystem.

Robert, I pretty much am, and for the most part, it's acceptable.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 01, 2021 07:32AM
Forrest,

I can knock the AppleTV because I've used them. I've got two AppleTVs. I've got a Roku and I've got two Amazon Fire TV sticks between my home and office. Overall, the Roku is the best of the bunch. For those invested in the Apple ecosystem, there is no question the AppleTV is the right choice. Otherwise, look elsewhere. There are other options such as the Chromecast with Google TV 4K, NVIDIA Shield TV (and NVIDIA Shield TV Pro), etc. I hear the NVIDIA Shield TV Pro is the best if you have a Plex server with media.

I stopped being a fan of the Amazon devices when they made the interface _too_ Amazon-centric. That's not an issue with Roku boxes and less of an issue with the AppleTV. For those who subscribe to FIOS, a media device is actually unnecessary since NetFlix, YouTube and other apps are built into the box. You have to pay for them separately but don't need a separate device to access them.

I access NetFlix via the FIOS box just as often as I watch it directly on an iPad. I rarely use streaming media device for it these days.

Robert
Date: May 01, 2021 11:22AM
My son has the Shield, it's the fastest hardware I've used to date (we do not have the last gen 4k ATV to compare, however). It has a unique, triangularly shaped remote that is surprisingly nice to use.

I have not used one of the new Chromecast devices with Google TV - are they good? How are the remotes?
Date: May 01, 2021 01:56PM
Sekker,

Apparently, wirecutter considers the Chromecast with Google TV the best streaming device for most people. I haven't used one myself, so I can't vouch for their assessment or usability experience. Still, at $50, it's priced low enough that if it ends up being eclipsed by a newer model or a competitor, it doesn't feel as much like you're hurting your wallet to replace it and you would be less hesitant. You can't say that about the more expensive alternatives like the AppleTV or nVIDIA Shield series.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 148
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020