advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Windows 10 help for older relative
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 02, 2021 07:12AM
My aged aunt called me the other day freaking out b/c she was told she’d been hacked by the Chinese. Thinking that sounded REALLY specific I called her back and found out…well, it would take too long to write. But suffice it to say, she was NOT hacked. But she is in FL and I’m in NC and I’ve remoted in a couple times to resolve some things, but there are some things I cannot do.

So, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good malware/virus solution. I know we use Malwarebytes at work. And I know she would get a paid version. I think she uses Kaspersky now and she hates it. It’s slow and it bogs down everything. But I’m pretty sure that’s standard if you run virus software constantly. Thoughts? Recommendations? Also has to be super SUPER easy.

She is also not backing up anything. So I suggested Backblaze for a cloud backup. I use it and it’s pretty invisible. Other ideas? I suggested an external device of some sort as well, but again, I cannot troubleshoot that from here. And it’s a little harder to walk her through that process. Other ideas or recommendations?

Finally, just any tips or tricks I can help her feel safe. She WAS really hacked a while ago, but I think she gave the wrong people the wrong info. Now she is super paranoid. She has a cell phone but she never turns it on outside her house. That kind of paranoid.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Windows 10 help for older relative
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 02, 2021 07:29AM
Malwarebytes is the easiest, it will protect her mahjong scores from being analized by China.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 02, 2021 11:10AM
"aged aunt" + "Florida" is all the explanation the phrase "Hacked by the Chinese" needs!

smiley-laughing001

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 02, 2021 02:57PM
There was a recent Win10 update that borked how browsers worked with AdBlockers (uBlock Origin) and Javascript blockers on my gaming machine. I unfortunately waited a day too long and couldn't unroll it, had to resort to removing the updates manually.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: rouderon
Date: May 03, 2021 10:27AM
Not an anti-virus, but she could run the free version of RogueKiller [www.adlice.com]
I occasionally scan Windows computers with this, in addition to Malwarebytes, and it has found items that Malwarebytes missed. Malwarebytes used to be great, but I’m seeing more and more reviews stating it’s gone downhill.

As for anti-virus, my go-to was always AVG (free version). I’ve recently been seeing articles stating that the built in Windows Defender (or whatever it is now called) is as good, or better than, any free anti-virus programs. It is disabled, however, if you have Malwarebytes (or any other anti-virus programs) installed.

She could also check with whoever her internet is through. Many offer a [usually paid] anti-virus program for free with their service.

I’m not up on Windows backup programs. We mainly use Macs at home, and the PC’s we use have nothing we need backed up. She could always get an external drive to back up important documents, pics, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 176
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020