advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What do I have to be careful when Replacing Screen on Series 1 Apple Watch
Posted by: Microman
Date: May 02, 2021 01:33PM
I am driven to do this, because I have too. It's like building a model, or doing something and bringing it to a successful conclusion

I have replaced 4 iPhone Batteries in my life, and now I will be putting back together a series 1 Apple Watch.

This watch had the battery expand, and push the front face off. I didn't realize how easy it might be to break the two cables on the watch face, so after days of tinkering and watching videos, these cables on mine that must have been brittle etc, just broke off.

So I have a new battery, And I have ordered a new face.

I know the battery can just plug in, and the new face can just plug into the two spots and then be covered by a little metal piece to help hold cables in position.

I have read a little or a lot about the touch sensor. Now nothing has been removed , gasket wise , either from the top face (now junk) or the bottom base. However I don't know if I need to try and clean out the groove on bottom so that I can then put down the new gasket that is suppose to hold the face down.

Although I have seen videos where people use some sort of H or N 7000 type of glue with a fine tip.

So from the pictures do you think I need to remove anything from the grove around the watch base on the base? I would think the Touch Sensor that I have read about should be intact, but I don't want to make the mistake I read about where people take that out, and not realize it.

So is there a gasket sealer, and then the touch señor that also encompasses the groove around the base?

Thanks.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What do I have to be careful when Replacing Screen on Series 1 Apple Watch
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 02, 2021 02:01PM
So this is one of those tasks where it's more about the journey than the goal. good for you.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 02, 2021 04:12PM
Disassembly:

[www.ifixit.com]

Reassembly:

[www.ifixit.com]
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 02, 2021 05:54PM
Adhesive needs to be completely removed from the body. Once the new face is on, put something heavy on the watch face to press it to the body. When I did this, I left it overnight before charging and using.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: May 02, 2021 06:02PM
Microman
This watch had the battery expand…I don't know if I need to try and clean out the groove on bottom so that I can then put down the new gasket that is suppose to hold the face down…So is there a gasket sealer, and then the touch señor that also encompasses the groove around the base?

All you need is the force touch sensor—it includes the gasket. The piece is effectively double-sided adhesive so it acts as both the sensor as well as the seal and adherer for the watch face.

Yes, it's very important to careful and thoroughly clean both sealing surfaces, i.e. on the watch crystal as well as the watch body.

Beyond cleaning, the tricky part of the installation is disengaging the clip that connects the force touch sensor wires.
Posted by: Microman
Date: May 03, 2021 09:14AM
But I believe when my face came off, there was no lifting of the force sensor that goes around the watch. So that is still intact, I believe. So I may just install battery, new face, and then use that blue gasket, blue facing up, and when all is good, take the blue film off, and stick it down.

Will follow up with good or ? news.
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 03, 2021 09:49AM
graylocks
So this is one of those tasks where it's more about the journey than the goal. good for you.

And the links that btfc provided suggest that it will be quite the journey!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 152
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020