advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Washer Water Hammer Saga (Long Story)
Posted by: jh
Date: May 03, 2021 10:32AM
Have pex plumbing for supply lines but the laundry room piping under the floor is in an inaccessible area and piping is just laying on the ground in the crawl space (long story--you can't get in that crawl space). So we have a 10 or 15 year old (bought when Sears was still a going concern) or older Whirlpool top loader that when using hot or warm water the cold water intake had water hammer that is quite noticeable. Have water hammer arrestors on the supply faucets and the water heater has the expansion tank. Arrestors have been repalced with new ones last week. Arrestors were originally on the machine instake--still have water hammer problem. Plumber came out and looked at everything, under the house (you can access everything except the laundry room which has the water heater supply lines also). Checked water pressure etc. Did not examine the expansion tank other than looked at it. Says it is probably the washer's cold water quick intake valve or something like that. I asked would a new washer (has to be a top loader due to space considerations) solve the issue. He thinks it would. Other option would be to tear up the floor in the laundry room and den to secure the supply lines to see if that helps--remember the supply lines are laying on the ground and are not accessible any other way--don't really want to do that. Asked if another set of arrestors on the washer and the supply faucets would resolve the issue. He did not think it would.

1. Water intake valves replaced last week due to a leak in hot water intake draining in the tub but the problems were there before the replacement with the same problem I am experiencing now.
3. Not a recent problem. Been doing it for probably years I am guessing.
3. Cleaned any debris I could find out of the intake valves.
4. Burst resistance hoses are in good shape.
5. Cold water setting with no warm or hot water on washer does not have water hammer issues.
6. Warm water setting does have water hammer on the cold side too but not as bad.
7. Plumber said the water hammer would not damage the pex pipes but I have my doubts.
8. Have fought the battle of you don't need to use hot or warm water to clean clothes as detergents will clean clothes with cold water--unsuccessfully.

So asking collective wisdom/experience if indeed a new washer would resolve the issue or is there something I've/plumber overlooked?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Washer Water Hammer Saga (Long Story)
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 03, 2021 11:05AM
PEX has a burst pressure of 800 psi. The pressure in your water system should be less than 1/10 of that. I would be more concerned about a hose cutting loose or something inside the washer failing first.

Did the plumber check the incoming water pressure? If so, was it 65 psi or less?

How old are the surge arrestors? They do fail and are a cheap and easy fix.
Posted by: jh
Date: May 03, 2021 11:47AM
macphanatic
PEX has a burst pressure of 800 psi. The pressure in your water system should be less than 1/10 of that. I would be more concerned about a hose cutting loose or something inside the washer failing first.

Did the plumber check the incoming water pressure? If so, was it 65 psi or less?

How old are the surge arrestors? They do fail and are a cheap and easy fix.

Plumber checked the incoming water pressure. Checked out. Arrestors were replaced last week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2021 11:47AM by jh.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 03, 2021 12:30PM
Argh. I am dealing with a similar issue (and was thinking of posting, too). My washer is new (3yrs) and is a front loader LG. It's the first time I've experienced water hammer. I've got to do something about it, but my only solution at the moment is to dial back the intake to half way or less and that lessens the hammer by about 2/3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020