advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Drill You Fools! iFixit corrects the biggest failing of Airtags - the missing hole
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 03, 2021 11:35AM
Grab your trusty 1/16" drillbit, take out the battery, close your eyes, and you have a corrected Airtag!

'After some reconnaissance inside our first AirTag, we grabbed a 1/16” drill bit and carefully punched a hole through the second tracker in our four-pack—after removing the battery, of course. We miraculously managed to avoid all chips, boards, and antennas, only drilling through plastic and glue. The best part? The AirTag survived the operation like a champ and works as if nothing happened.'

'To drill through your AirTag safely, you’ll need to bore through one of the notches in the circuit board / antenna shield (more on those parts coming soon!) made for the clips that hold the tag together. We’ve highlighted the three notches in the video above. '

'...(A) DIY hole gets an AirTag onto a keyring or loop with as little extra space and mass as possible. Even in the tiniest single-purpose device, there is room to hack, and we’ll fight for your right to do it.'

[www.ifixit.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2021 11:37AM by sekker.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Drill You Fools! iFixit corrects the biggest failing of Airtags - the missing hole
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 03, 2021 11:44AM
....so this is a**** hole.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: Drill You Fools! iFixit corrects the biggest failing of Airtags - the missing hole
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 03, 2021 12:09PM
But this might ruin the water resistance of the Airtag.

Better to just buy a "Find My" compatible device with a hole from the start: [chipolo.net]
Posted by: hal
Date: May 03, 2021 12:15PM
how hard would it have been to engineer a hole in these things? No... we'll make 'em buy holes for $30
Date: May 03, 2021 12:22PM
Gareth
Better to just buy a "Find My" compatible device with a hole from the start: [chipolo.net]

Depends on your use-case. Many of the plastic holders that are being sold will become quite brittle in cold weather, and losing the Airtag will become a likely scenario. Sorry that Apple (again) forgets to check with us cold-climate users. A metal ring would be far superior to ANY of the holders they announced.

Good to note that this might reduce water resistance. But for some applications, that's an ok compromise.
Date: May 03, 2021 12:23PM
hal
how hard would it have been to engineer a hole in these things? No... we'll make 'em buy holes for $30

Very clear this is Apple's latest version of what they tried with the Watch - sell a commodity product and upscale on accessories.
Date: May 03, 2021 12:28PM
sekker
Gareth

Depends on your use-case. Many of the plastic holders that are being sold will become quite brittle in cold weather, and losing the Airtag will become a likely scenario. Sorry that Apple (again) forgets to check with us cold-climate users. A metal ring would be far superior to ANY of the holders they announced.

I think you may have misunderstood my post. Chipolo is not an accessory for an Airtag. It's literally a third party Airtag with the keyring hole built in, so you don't need any accessories, other than adding the appropriately sized metal keyring for your application.
Date: May 03, 2021 12:31PM
Date: May 03, 2021 12:34PM
Gareth

Thanks, an interesting product for sure. Good to give Apple competition. I did click, it's not available to purchase now, but you can get on the wait-list.

Tile is also a potential competitor, but they are in a legal fight with Apple, so I doubt they will be 'Find My' compatible anytime soon.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 03, 2021 01:06PM
sekker
losing the Airtag will become a likely scenario.

huh smiley]
How do you lose something that is meant to make losing things nearly impossible?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: May 03, 2021 01:21PM
Ombligo
sekker
losing the Airtag will become a likely scenario.

huh smiley]
How do you lose something that is meant to make losing things nearly impossible?

If the Airtag falls out of its plastic case, the affiliated item will not longer be tied to the Airtag...
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 03, 2021 02:10PM
Gareth

Not to mention that snagging a so-modified AT on something would present a very large risk of breaking it.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 03, 2021 03:22PM
hal
No... we'll make 'em buy holes for $30

LOL. smiley-laughing001
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: May 03, 2021 04:20PM
Gareth

Not really. There's no free lunch:

[appleinsider.com]
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: May 03, 2021 04:21PM
hal

Pretty hard, given that the entire device is barely larger than the battery that powers it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 159
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020