Posted by: hal
Date: May 03, 2021 04:51PM
[tv.apple.com]

trailer: [www.youtube.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Movie for Guitarists: the Pedal Movie - the history of effects pedals
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 03, 2021 05:11PM
follow the JHS pedal YouTube channel if you're into pedals, that guy is an encyclopedia of pedals.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 04, 2021 07:14AM
This is great, thanks for posting! How’s your guitar playing coming and now that you’ve had your semi hollow body for a while, how do you like it?

JoeM
Date: May 04, 2021 12:19PM
The guitar story is LONG - I'll try a short version.

Dropped the guitar to be worked on (it would be gone for 7-10 days). I pulled out my old 70s mij SG copy and continued practicing with it, but with a little amp for the first time in years. I was really enjoying it, but it has problems. Some frets are too worn down, electronics problems, and the nut is worn down leading to some buzzing that can not be fixed.

But when the new guitar came back, I hated it. I didn't want to spend to have the frets worked on and they felt crappy. Sliding up the fretboard was easy with the SG, clunky with this thing.

The luthier said that it probably wasn't worth my $ getting the SG repaired. (new frets, nut and who knows what else)

I put the new guitar up for sale and went searching locally for used. I ended up buying a nice late 90s Fernandez Strat copy, but then got a response for the posting of the old SG and an old Bass that I listed and ended up trading two old guitars for a very nice, pristine late 90s Washburn J-9. This will do as the semi hollow body I've dreamed of.

I'm wondering if I let my old guitars go for too little, but I sold the new hollow body for enough to cover the cost and the luthier work and the I never played the old guitars, so I'm really happy about it all.

Playing is progressing well. For now, I'm mostly just finding fun songs to strum along with (Tom Petty is perfect) and I find lots of 'jam along' tracks on YT with charts of the proper notes that I noodle along to.

I think I might be heading to a roadblock. I don't want to develop new bad habits - trying to break old ones is hard. I might go looking for some instruction soon if I start slowing down.

Really feeling a need for a volume pedal - I'll have to work toward that soon...
Date: May 04, 2021 02:33PM
Good to hear you are sticking with it. Finding comfortable gear when you’re on a budget can be a challenge and what’s comfortable today can wind up not working in a few months. The Washburn J9 is really nice. Reminds me of the old Guild Starfires.I wish I had YT when I was a kid learning. I think it’s amazing. The lessons on Truefire are great. If you haven’t already you might want to take a look there.

JoeM
Date: May 04, 2021 03:03PM
really glad you approve of my J9 - it's really pretty :-) The Fernandez actually plays a little smoother and has a wonderful strat sound, but I like the J9 and it seems able to achieve a very wide range of sounds.

Truefire looks really good and not terribly expensive. I might well give it a go if I get stuck and maybe if I don't. Lots of amazing players on staff there and I see you buddy Pat Martino is one of them :-)
Date: May 05, 2021 01:25PM
hal
really glad you approve of my J9 - it's really pretty :-) The Fernandez actually plays a little smoother and has a wonderful strat sound, but I like the J9 and it seems able to achieve a very wide range of sounds.

Truefire looks really good and not terribly expensive. I might well give it a go if I get stuck and maybe if I don't. Lots of amazing players on staff there and I see you buddy Pat Martino is one of them :-)

Yep, I bought the Pat Martino course when it first came out there.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 136
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020