advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
In person school cancelled at my kids high school today ...
Posted by: timg
Date: May 04, 2021 12:45PM
because of an internet outage ...

sent all the kids home to attend class online ...

WTF?

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: In person school cancelled at my kids high school today ...
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 04, 2021 01:02PM
Unless they also sent the teaching staff to their homes to conduct online class, then whoever sent the "school cancelled" message is confused.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: hal
Date: May 04, 2021 01:04PM
a school can't work without the internet? How long has that been the case?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 04, 2021 01:26PM
.....snow day.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 04, 2021 01:33PM
Around here, some kids are in classrooms with teachers and others join the class from home, but everyone is on Zoom. If school building had no internet then kids at home could not participate so sending home makes sense.
Posted by: timg
Date: May 04, 2021 01:46PM
It's similar here, but the teacher teaches in the class and on zoom simultaneously.

all of the school work is also online, so that's why the in person kids had to go home. if they didn't they couldn't do any of the work.

I'll be glad when everyone is back in person and we don't have this kind of crap.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Date: May 04, 2021 01:51PM
hal

Since somewhere between a quarter and half the students are ONLY "virtual" students, and the state(s) require the "virtual" and "in person" students to be getting EXACTLY the same instruction and curriculum.
So, when students doing distance learning can't connect to campus, they can't instruct "in person" students either, because, whatever they do without the internet is not the same instruction for those with distance-learning only.

Poorly though out regulations happen during Pandemics, too.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 04, 2021 01:51PM
timg
It's similar here, but the teacher teaches in the class and on zoom simultaneously.

all of the school work is also online, so that's why the in person kids had to go home. if they didn't they couldn't do any of the work.

I'll be glad when everyone is back in person and we don't have this kind of crap.

I'm sure there are a millions of parents out there reconsidering why they had kids. Having Junior at home 24/7 demanding pizza and nuggeted food products could drive the most loving parent mad.
Date: May 04, 2021 02:10PM
vision63
timg

I'm sure there are a millions of parents out there reconsidering why they had kids. Having Junior at home 24/7 demanding pizza and nuggeted food products could drive the most loving parent mad.

Same for the kids... There are kids that are so desperate to NOT be around their parents, they are attempting suicide - and succeeding all too often.
It's odd - teachers here are reporting that some students are thriving via Distance Learning, and other (usually "A" students) are now failing. Same with behavior - some students are handling being at home very well, others are in serious need of counseling, and social contact.
This has NOT been an easy year for a lot of the kids, either.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Don C
Date: May 04, 2021 03:49PM
There was a huge push here for instruction to be group activities, moving away from lectures as much as possible. You certainly cannot put kids into hands on group activities via ZOOM. Breakout rooms would let them chat but not DO stuff. Wonder how that instructional strategy is working this year.
Posted by: kj
Date: May 04, 2021 05:05PM
Don C
There was a huge push here for instruction to be group activities, moving away from lectures as much as possible. You certainly cannot put kids into hands on group activities via ZOOM. Breakout rooms would let them chat but not DO stuff. Wonder how that instructional strategy is working this year.

That's a huge issue. All of the teachers I know are treating this year like a "mulligan".
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 04, 2021 05:14PM
No internet?

That is what DVD's are for.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 04, 2021 05:25PM
Department of Education should have given parents/guardians the option of pulling their kids out for a year or changing the curriculum to non-core classes. Most schools weren't prepared for this, many teachers aren't tech savvy and are struggling to shift to virtual learning in an engaging manner. I sat in (out of camera view) on a few high school classes. They were absolutely awful.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 04, 2021 05:53PM
My wife taught from home until she was vaccinated. Officially, she was taking personal time, but she's too devoted and knew the sub would be lost about how to handle the online portions of class.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 04, 2021 08:10PM
What Paul said. No internet means no ability to teach all of the students. My kids also got sent home this year for that reason.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 04, 2021 08:51PM
....it's cancel culture......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 04, 2021 10:17PM
Paul F.
hal

Since somewhere between a quarter and half the students are ONLY "virtual" students, and the state(s) require the "virtual" and "in person" students to be getting EXACTLY the same instruction and curriculum.
So, when students doing distance learning can't connect to campus, they can't instruct "in person" students either, because, whatever they do without the internet is not the same instruction for those with distance-learning only.

Poorly thought out regulations happen during Pandemics, too.

Being equitable to everyone resulted in very poor educational outcomes for most.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: May 05, 2021 02:06PM
C(-)ris

Being equitable to everyone resulted in very poor educational outcomes for most.

Yup...
They're not calling this the "lost year" for nothing in education!

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: kj
Date: May 05, 2021 03:13PM
A lot of people with the means hired teachers to teach their kids privately, or grouped with 3 or 4 friends, so it wasn't lost for everyone. Having money and problem solving ability can be a real advantage, I guess.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020