advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What to do with all this mint??
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 04, 2021 07:48PM
My little adventure in being-stuck-at-home-due-to-corona / indoor gardening has resulted in a bumper crop of chocolate mint.

I adore the smell, and the taste is wonderful ... but other than maybe desserts and tea, I can't think of too many uses for it.

Ideas?

P.S. ... I also have quite a bit of spearmint, and have been growing multiple types of basil ... the basil is eventually going towards pesto, no question about that...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What to do with all this mint??
Posted by: kledo
Date: May 04, 2021 08:08PM
How about a ginger-mint liqueur?:

ginger liqueur
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 04, 2021 08:31PM
....add to bath.....you will always smell.....minty fresh.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 04, 2021 09:03PM
Mint jelly for lamb.
Maybe make a mint liqueur using your favorite white spirit?
Dry some for the spice cabinet.
Make a nice Indian biryani a few times. Or a dozen times.

If I come up with anything else brilliant, I'll let you know! :-)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: May 04, 2021 09:12PM
I'm a teetotaler, so liqueurs and such are out.

But you are making me think of perhaps using it for an infusion of some kind? Chocolate-mint-flavored oil sounds kind of disgusting, but maybe it might be useful for something...

The other idea you all just gave me is... I wonder if this could be made into a jam or jelly (not the pepper kind, which is what I think you might use for lamb... did I mention that I don't eat lamb either?)...

A quick Googling did bring up some more ideas though:

[bowllicker.com]
[www.organicauthority.com]

(I have an incorrigible sweet tooth, so that last one is really tempting!)

Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: May 04, 2021 09:51PM
No alcohol and no lamb?!? Dude, I worry about you sometimes. jest smiley

Seriously though, welcome to the world of home farming. You start out by saying "Yay! Fresh vegetables! (or in your case, herbs)", then progress to "More fresh vegetables... yay". You try to preserve and/or freeze as many as possible, but they just... keep... coming. By the end of the season, you're reduced to leaving bags of fresh produce on stranger's doorsteps in a desperate attempt just to get rid of the stuff and praying for an early frost so the nightmare will finally end. Of course, then it winds up being one of those years when the temperature doesn't dip below the mid-50s until Christmas Day.

For this reason the rule for new gardeners in Alabama is "Plant half what you think you'll need of tomatoes and peppers and a quarter of what you think you'll need of any kind of squash or cucumber".

Drying the mint seems the best option overall. It's a shame you're not a fan of alcohol because spearmint schnapps is WAY better than the peppermint variety.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: jonny
Date: May 04, 2021 11:27PM
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 05, 2021 06:27AM
Lots of mojitos

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: May 05, 2021 07:29AM
....is it in......mint condition.....???

Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 05, 2021 08:08AM
I've heard it makes an effective deer repellant, FWIW.
Date: May 05, 2021 08:26AM
mikebw
I've heard it makes an effective deer repellant, FWIW.

Not a problem in my immediate neck of the woods, but I also see that it's a very effective insect repellent, so that's another possibility.

Also, I've discovered that the hamsters love it... not surprising, because parsley is also one of their favorites. (I've got a bumper crop of that too...)

I'm really thinking about that chocolate mint ice cream recipe ... it sounds delicious, and I do love mint chocolate chip ice cream ... the only problem, I don't have an ice cream machine, it's one of the few gadgets that I *don't* have.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 05, 2021 01:33PM
So, don't make a "liqueur"... make an "extract". :-) Same process, macerate the leaves and soak in alcohol for a few months.

I would NEVER add peppers to a good mint jelly! Mint jelly is mint, sugar, and pectin... (OK, and a few drops of green food coloring). And, it's good on goat as well as lamb. :-)

You can make a mint sauce, too, which would be equally good on lamb, as chicken or pork or beef... Think a "greek" sort of dish, with a British sort of sauce.

As for not having an ice cream maker... that's fixable! Check Facebook or Craigslist - someone is always going "dang it, I never use this thing!" and getting rid of one.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: May 05, 2021 02:05PM
.....virgin mohitos......or virgin mint juleps.....

Date: May 05, 2021 02:35PM
Thanks all for suggestions.

I'm definitely not going to let this stuff go to waste. For anyone who's never seen or smelled chocolate mint, it has a scent virtually identical to Andes mints. Really quite amazing. Taste-wise, they're pretty much just like regular mint, but that doesn't make them any less tasty. I did find some more ideas here: [delishably.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020