advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
like being hit by a BUS?!.....'Columbus Day' is no more......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 05, 2021 05:12PM
.....on the NYC public school calendar, it will be 'Italian heritage/indigenous people's day'.....

NYC schools try compromise on Columbus Day, displeasing some

....In a possibly futile effort to please both Italian Americans who celebrate Christopher Columbus and racial justice advocates who accuse him of genocide, the New York City public school system has designated Oct. 11 as Italian Heritage Day/Indigenous People’s Day.

The double-naming of the school holiday happened Tuesday after a calendar for the 2021-2022 school year was initially posted with Oct. 11, which is Columbus Day, a state holiday, labeled simply Indigenous Peoples’ Day.

The change, which was made without the knowledge of the city’s mayor, drew swift condemnation from elected officials, including Democratic state senators Diane Savino and Joe Addabbo, who called the renaming of Columbus Day “block-headed” and said it did “terrible disservice to a difficult and complex conversation.”

The city Department of Education then backtracked and changed the name again.

“Italian Heritage Day/Indigenous People’s Day will celebrate the contributions and legacies of Italian Americans and recognize that Native people are the first inhabitants of the land that became our country,” department spokesperson Danielle Filson said in a statement.

That compromise then drew fresh condemnation Wednesday from New York’s Italian American governor, Andrew Cuomo, who said it was divisive to force the two groups to share a holiday.

“I support an Indigenous peoples’ holiday, but I also support Columbus Day. You can have an Indigenous peoples’ day without intruding on Columbus Day,” Cuomo said. “Why insult or diminish the Italian American contribution? Why? There’s no need and it’s unhealthy for the body politic.”

Cuomo, a Democrat, said Columbus Day will remain a state holiday. It is also a federal holiday.

The legacy of Columbus has drawn scrutiny in recent years, with cities and states around the countryrenaming the second Monday in October to honor the Indigenous populations that were decimated by violence and disease after Europeans arrived in the Americas.

Some states have created a holiday for Indigenous people on a separate date. Oklahoma did the opposite, recently moving its existing Native American Day so that it would fall on the same day as Columbus Day.

But Columbus has fans in New York, where tens of thousands of Italian Americans march through Manhattan in a show of ethnic pride every Columbus Day.

“We have to honor that day as a day to recognize the contributions of all Italian Americans, so of course the day should not have been changed arbitrarily,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said Wednesday.

The Democratic mayor, who speaks frequently of his own Italian heritage, said that neither he nor Schools Chancellor Meisha Porter was consulted about the initial switch to just Indigenous Peoples’ Day.

Asked about the matter at a virtual news briefing, de Blasio said the process of changing the name wasn’t right, “but the end result, it’s going to be a day to honor Italian American heritage, a day to honor Indigenous peoples, I think that’s a good way forward.”

no mo'.........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2021 05:17PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: like being hit by a BUS?!.....'Columbus Day' is no more......
Posted by: hal
Date: May 05, 2021 05:57PM
wow - Italians and indigenous people will all agree that this was stupid.

They want it left alone entirely/done away with entirely.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 05, 2021 06:08PM
OK, but not to poke the bear, since Spain's Ferd & Izzy paid for Chris' little journey, shouldn't Spain get some credit too?

"Spanish and Italian Heritage Day/Indigenous People’s Day" would seem more appropriate. Or since Ferd & Izzy were trying to beat out their Portuguese rivals to capitalize on the New World's riches, maybe it should be, "Indigenous People’s Day/Neener, Neener to Portuguese Loser's Day", and simply take the Spanish and Italians out of the equation? I mean somebody's gonna be upset no matter what.

Hey, I don't have a horse in this race, I just love me as many holidays as we can get. I don't know where all of Chris' crew came from, but they oughta get their props, too. Let's just call it "Old World Meets New World Day" and be done with it, and then everybody gets their holiday!
==
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 05, 2021 06:10PM
Buzz
OK, but not to poke the bear, since Spain's Ferd & Izzy paid for Chris' little journey, shouldn't Spain get some credit too?

"Spanish and Italian Heritage Day/Indigenous People’s Day" would seem more appropriate. Or since Ferd & Izzy were trying to beat out their Portuguese rivals to capitalize on the New World's riches, maybe it should be, "Indigenous People’s Day/Neener, Neener to Portuguese Loser's Day", and simply take the Spanish and Italians out of the equation? I mean somebody's gonna be upset no matter what.

Hey, I don't have a horse in this race, I just love me as many holidays as we can get. I don't know where all of Chris' crew came from, but they oughta get their props, too. Let's just call it "Old World Meets New World Day" and be done with it, and then everybody gets their holiday!
==

My first thoughts were along this line, too.

It is what it is.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 05, 2021 06:35PM
How about Leif Erikson day? He reportedly made it to the continent 500 years before Columbus.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 05, 2021 06:39PM
It's quite true that Columbus did not "discover" America, but his "discovery" changed the history of the world as we know it.

The other "discoveries" - not so much.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 05, 2021 07:35PM
Bering Land Bridge Celebration?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 06, 2021 12:28AM
Can't the Italians find someone else to honor in order to have an "Italian Day"? It's Pavarotti's birthday, howsabout calling it Pavarotti Day? It's a country that spawned an incredible number of musicians, singers, scientists, artists, etc. why do they have to honor a guy who cut off the hands of slaves in order to feel they are loved? Jeebus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2021 12:28AM by $tevie.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 06, 2021 01:03AM
Arrivederci Chris you never loved your own Ities anyway, that bitch from Spain had you by the short and curlies.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 06, 2021 01:05AM
PS: Pavarotti's been canceled or was that the other guy? Way too many to cancellations for me to track.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 06, 2021 10:12AM
let's cancel all the special days, weeks, and months with the following four exceptions:
New Year's Day
Memorial Day
July Fourth
Veterans' (Armistice) Day

That's right; no celebrations or observances for Presidents, 'Heroes',
ethnicity, nationalities, gender, religion, etc.
Yes, even Festivus must be cancelled!
wink smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 06, 2021 10:59AM
Replace Columbus Day with a National Holiday for voting. Eliminates almost all excuses for not being able to vote.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 06, 2021 12:52PM
MrNoBody
Yes, even Festivus must be cancelled!
wink smiley

Whoah, I have some grievances to air about that!
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 06, 2021 04:06PM
no votes for Imperialsts Day?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2021 04:07PM by Bill in NC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 140
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020