advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Speaking of Old Time Baseball - I found some of my Dad's Brooklyn Dodgers memorabilia
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 06, 2021 12:03PM
My parents grew up in Williamsburg Brooklyn and my dad and I as a young boy were Brooklyn Dodgers fans while my older brother was a Yankees fan, especially Mickey Mantle. My parents were friends with some of the Dodgers Sym- PHONY Band that came from Greenpoint and Williamsburg.

Here is the New York Journal-American colorized 1946 team photo and the 1946 player photo pack in it’s original manila envelope. Even though Jackie Robinson had already been signed to the Dodgers, he didn’t appear in the photos because he spent 1946 in the Minor leagues. He joined the team in 1947.

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Speaking of Old Time Baseball - I found some of my Dad's Brooklyn Dodgers memorabilia
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 06, 2021 12:13PM
....might be worth something.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: Speaking of Old Time Baseball - I found some of my Dad's Brooklyn Dodgers memorabilia
Posted by: raz
Date: May 06, 2021 12:23PM
Way cool. Treat them well.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: May 06, 2021 12:23PM
I've checked the value on ebay and other sites. The New York Journal team photo looks to see for between $100 and $200. The '46 picture pack looks to go for about $225.

JoeM
Posted by: hal
Date: May 06, 2021 12:33PM
JoeM
I've checked the value on ebay and other sites. The New York Journal team photo looks to see for between $100 and $200. The '46 picture pack looks to go for about $225.

I'm sure they are worth much more to you to keep them around. What a great collection - love the promo pics. My dad was a Brooklyn fan too (NJ boy).
Posted by: robfilms
Date: May 06, 2021 01:15PM
i grew up in Brooklyn but later than the Dodgers heyday.

But my Mom was a huge fan.

Her guy was Cookie Lavagetto.

"Cookie" "Cookie" "look dis way, Cookie"

All screamed in a shrill Brooklyn accent!

There is a pix of Mom, me and my younger brother, with our hands touching a shuttered Ebbets Field.

She wanted us to memorialize the shrine of her youth.

That was the closest I got to the Brooklyn Dodgers.

The 1946 team was going to get A LOT better in 1948 when Mr. Jack Robinson came up from the Dodger minor league team in Montreal.

That Dodger team was legendary.

Duke Snider was my fav probably because he closed out his career as a NY Met and that was my team.

Side note: The New York Metropolitans team's colors are blue and orange. Still are.

The same Dodger blue from 'da Bums. And the orange came from the New York Giants, who left for San Francisco the same year the Dodgers pulled out and headed to Los Angeles.

The newbie (1962) Mets were hoping to pull fans from both ex-NYC National League teams.

Thanks for the post.

"Hey, Cookie!"

Thumbs up.

Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2021 01:17PM by robfilms.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: May 06, 2021 01:33PM
My grandmother always chanted "Hodgers from the Dodgers"

Asheville, NC Area
Date: May 06, 2021 01:53PM
hal
JoeM

I'm sure they are worth much more to you to keep them around. What a great collection - love the promo pics. My dad was a Brooklyn fan too (NJ boy).

Yes much more important for me as a keepsake to remember sitting with my dad on the lounge chair in our basement watching the games on our tiny B&W TV back in the 50s.

JoeM
Date: May 06, 2021 01:54PM
robfilms
i grew up in Brooklyn but later than the Dodgers heyday.

But my Mom was a huge fan.

Her guy was Cookie Lavagetto.

"Cookie" "Cookie" "look dis way, Cookie"

All screamed in a shrill Brooklyn accent!

There is a pix of Mom, me and my younger brother, with our hands touching a shuttered Ebbets Field.

She wanted us to memorialize the shrine of her youth.

That was the closest I got to the Brooklyn Dodgers.

The 1946 team was going to get A LOT better in 1948 when Mr. Jack Robinson came up from the Dodger minor league team in Montreal.

That Dodger team was legendary.

Duke Snider was my fav probably because he closed out his career as a NY Met and that was my team.

Side note: The New York Metropolitans team's colors are blue and orange. Still are.

The same Dodger blue from 'da Bums. And the orange came from the New York Giants, who left for San Francisco the same year the Dodgers pulled out and headed to Los Angeles.

The newbie (1962) Mets were hoping to pull fans from both ex-NYC National League teams.

Thanks for the post.

"Hey, Cookie!"

Thumbs up.

Rob

Wow! Great memories robfilms! Thanks for sharing!

JoeM
Posted by: hal
Date: May 06, 2021 01:59PM
I like robfilms' mom!
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 06, 2021 02:53PM
My dad grew up as a Dodgers fan in NYC but when they left town he switched allegiances to the Yankees; Rangers and Knicks as well. I grew up with the Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 06, 2021 03:44PM
Great find!

Agreed that some things are just worth keeping.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020