The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
18 million comments “were entirely fabricated”
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 06, 2021 09:05PM
[arstechnica.com]

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 18 million comments “were entirely fabricated”
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 06, 2021 09:24PM
Old news, basically. Powell, Pai, and all their friends at the ISPs working to screw over citizens.

Elections have consequences.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 07, 2021 07:31AM
I was going to post this on the other side.

Of ~22 million comments, nearly 18 million were fake.

smiley-shocked003

There has got to be a law against this, and it ought to be used. Put some people in jail. I remember when they took comments about the Microsoft monopoly case back in the day, and I actually read some. It didn’t take long to recognize that many of the pro-Microsoft ones contained the exact same phrases, just arranged in different orders. It was obvious astroturfing.

If our legal system is going to take public comments, they need to prosecute such astroturfing. Otherwise the “public” comment process is just meaningless.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 07, 2021 08:35AM
You'd think the FCC would recognize fraud, being, oh, you know, the agency charged with defending us from communications fraud.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 07, 2021 08:58AM
I think it's important to note that there were fake comments in support of and against net neutrality, but the ones against used real names without consent:

the article
A 19-year old college student who opposed the repeal of net neutrality was able to file over 7.7 million pro-neutrality comments with the FCC. Unlike the broadband industry efforts described above that used the names and addresses of real people without their consent, these comments used fabricated names and addresses generated by software.{/quote]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 07, 2021 09:02AM
Interestingly this was used in an official legal hearing. So the people that used the data committed perjury.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: May 07, 2021 02:02PM
important that this fraud is documented so that the NEXT time something like this happens, and it will, then folks can look circumspect at "fake"-ness.

thanks for sharing.

stay well.

rob
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 07, 2021 05:47PM
apparently there IS no law, because the law only looks for a direct connection, something in the form of a smoking gun that removes all doubt

That’s fine on the surface, perfectly reasonable and yet deletes all responsibility. They know the ISPs paid for the service but mysteriously the ISPs didn’t know what was happening.

Since when would you pay millions of dollars and not care what the vendor did?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 266
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020