You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
From the "You've got to be kidding me department"
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 07, 2021 01:06AM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: From the "You've got to be kidding me department"
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 07, 2021 01:18AM
I don't know about the Trader Joe's version, but CPK's in-restaurant cauliflower is pretty damn amazing. I wouldn't choose it over a bread crust, but that's really only because I love bread.

It is what it is.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 07, 2021 01:40AM
you be surprised how versatile cauliflower is. i like it for pizza. use it often instead of rice and just last week discovered cauliflower stalks which were crunchy like cheese doodles but with less fat and no orange fingers.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 07, 2021 01:51AM
Did you notice that BOTH are listed as "Gluten Free"?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 07, 2021 05:58AM
Free,

I don't get the post. These are options for people who can't tolerate gluten. Also options for diabetics who shouldn't eat regular pizza. Can't say I'm a fan of either but, as a diabetic, I've eaten them many times because regular pizza is a _very_ rare treat for me.

Robert
Posted by: DP
Date: May 07, 2021 06:19AM
We mix some cauliflower with potatoes then mash them. Not bad...

Sometimes I feel like this-

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: May 07, 2021 06:27AM
According to the Everlywell tests we did (plenty of controversy there), neither of us have a gluten sensitivity. But we do prefer these weirdo non-wheat crusts, just for taste and digestibility. Haven't tried the broc, but as others have noted, the cauli is quite good.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 07, 2021 07:17AM
Have tried several brands of cauli-pizza and crusts. Some are excellent. Some are awful.

Caulipower makes decent frozen cauli-crust pizza, but for the last year or so they've skimped on the cheese and sauce. Newman's seems to be made in the same factory as Caulipower, but has the sauce and cheese covered and often costs a buck less.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 07, 2021 08:18AM
....so you shop at 'Trader Joe's'......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 07, 2021 08:43AM
My theory is that a lot of the digestive issues surrounding bread stem from the dough conditioners and amount of yeast used. If one were to make a poolish or natural starter, I'm betting that most of those problems disappear.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 07, 2021 08:44AM
I like the frozen cauliflower crust pizzas from Costco, maybe not as much as their counter service pizza, but it's got to be healthier at least.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 07, 2021 09:10AM
I like Caulifower in things. My family, not so much. I was threatened the last time I put too much cauliflower in a soup.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 07, 2021 09:31AM
.....(cauli)flower......power.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: May 07, 2021 01:14PM
I ordered a burrito bowl from Chipotle this past week, and they now offer cilantro-lime cauliflower "rice" along with the usual white or brown. It tasted fine (if you like cauliflower, which I do), though not at all like real rice. Fewer calories (40 cal vs. >200), but more money ($2 extra).

Date: May 07, 2021 01:54PM
A-Polly,

As I said in a previous thread:

I had a chance to sample the riced cauliflower offered by Chipotle. I texted a few friends about it. My exact words:

"Chipotle claims this is riced cauliflower. Claims is the operative word. Took a taste and gagged. To say it is disgusting is a compliment. I don’t recommend it. Even a ravenous, starving, creeping stomach would run away from it in horror and I bet the stuff would chase it down and kill it."

Obviously, your mileage might vary with Chipotle's equivalent of solid ipecac syrup or colonoscopy preparation mix. 'course, that depends on how quickly you can run to the garbage or the toilet after tasting it.

Robert
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 07, 2021 03:27PM
/how you really feel

Yikes!
Date: May 07, 2021 05:01PM
Mike,

Was I being too kind? smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 07, 2021 05:16PM
testcase
Did you notice that BOTH are listed as "Gluten Free"?

Yes...YUMMMYYYY....smiley-laughing001
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 07, 2021 08:54PM
mrbigstuff
If one were to make a poolish or natural starter, I'm betting that most of those problems disappear.

that and modern American wheat which was subjected to torture in the 50s' aka hybridization to produce more with less disease.
A good idea on the surface.

Many people what have a problem with US wheat find no issue with European wheat. YMMD, but the poolish can help to alleviate some of those gut issue with American wheat.

I use Italian 00 flour when I make pizza. Still not as good as home ground, but a vast improvement over even the best AP.

There is a chromosomal difference between US wheat and einkorn, farro and the like from EU.

[www.growseed.org]
[www.einkorn.com]

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 08, 2021 09:44AM
Be grateful for the options you have. I don't have a Trader Joe's within easy reach in my neighborhood, so I'm always envious of those of you who do. (Unfortunately, the only similar type chain we have here is Whole Foods, or Whole Paycheck, as we call it...)

I happen to love both cauliflower and broccoli, so I'd be tempted to try each of those, though I have to admit that the idea of using broccoli for a crust just seems... wrong somehow. OTOH, there've been a number of times with food items that I would have thought they'd turn my stomach, where they turned out to be surprisingly good.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: May 08, 2021 03:33PM
Robert M
....Took a taste and gagged. To say it is disgusting is a compliment....

Ha ha, obviously I missed your previous thread. I don't know if my Chipotle cauliflower "rice" was that much better than yours; I mostly think that any repellent qualities were diminished considerably by proximity to the sofritas and beans and salsa and other more flavorful things piled on top.

The few bites I had of the "rice" on its own didn't strike me as disgusting or bad, just not something I would consider ordering by itself. It wasn't highly seasoned, but that makes sense considering all the other stuff added to my bowl. I would have liked it better with a little more texture (as with roasted cauliflower), and I missed the nice "chew" that one gets with brown rice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 135
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020