advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Frustrated with Apple
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 07, 2021 11:03PM
I bought a new M1 MacBook Air for my son. We unpacked it and started the migration assistant trying to move his data over from the old Air to the new Air. We had to do it over wifi because the airs have no network ports. It stalled. I cancelled the migration and tried again. It never even started. It just sat at “0 files copied” for 8 hours. I tried cancelling it again but this time the new Air was frozen. I tried to do a hard reboot and it appears to have corrupted the OS on the M1 Air. It just says to visit Apples support page to restore it. Ok, that page says to plug it into another Mac with a USB C cable. I don’t have any USB C cables. So I ordered one. Then realized that won’t help because the other Air doesn’t have USB C. Ok, I’ll try to make a time machine backup, but that won’t work either because the drive that will connect to the old air won’t connect to the new air and vice versa. The Air has no network ports so that isn’t an option either. I yearn for the days when I could just connect via FireWire target disk mode…this process has gone from easy to very complicated.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Frustrated with Apple
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 07, 2021 11:06PM
Can you boot into Recovery to reinstall the OS?

Posted by: Diana
Date: May 07, 2021 11:11PM
USB-C to USB adapter, $19 from Apple?
Date: May 07, 2021 11:13PM
It’s usb c to usb c. The old Air doesn’t have USB C.

Apple Support

A supported USB-C to USB-C charge cable, such as the one sold by Apple (may not be available in all countries or regions) or a supported USB-A to USB-C cable

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2021 11:16PM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 07, 2021 11:23PM
Its always fascinating when technology regresses.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 07, 2021 11:23PM
ztirffritz
Ok, I’ll try to make a time machine backup, but that won’t work either because the drive that will connect to the old air won’t connect to the new air and vice versa.

I assume the drive you're using is some sort of USB, which means you can easily adapt it to the new USB-C Air. All you need is a USB-C to USB-A adapter which would be under $10 from Amazon.
Date: May 07, 2021 11:25PM
They don’t offer a compatible C to A cable that I’m aware of. I found cables on Monoprice and Amazon and ordered both. I can only hope that they’re compatible.

Posted by: jdc
Date: May 07, 2021 11:27PM
Bummer, be sure and try recovery mode. FW target mode was handy... but it failed plenty of times too. I can think of plenty.

thankfully both of our new MBAs made the transition from old MBPs via wifi just fine..

Modern wifi is really fast... from my kids 2012 MBP to the new MBA via wifi was really fast... admittedly not much data, but still was quick.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 07, 2021 11:29PM
I VERY recently read an article (possibly form MUO~Make Use Of) which stated that Apple's SSDs used in the new Apple hardware are expected to fail very prematurely. ANYBODY with the "new iron" should be exceptionally careful to keep current back ups.
Posted by: Diana
Date: May 07, 2021 11:32PM
It’s supposedly a USB-C to USB adapter: Adapter

Hopefully the link works …

ztirffritz
It’s usb c to usb c. The old Air doesn’t have USB C.

Apple Support

A supported USB-C to USB-C charge cable, such as the one sold by Apple (may not be available in all countries or regions) or a supported USB-A to USB-C cable
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 07, 2021 11:40PM
ztirffritz
I bought a new M1 MacBook Air for my son. We unpacked it and started the migration assistant trying to move his data over from the old Air to the new Air. We had to do it over wifi because the airs have no network ports. It stalled. I cancelled the migration and tried again. It never even started. It just sat at “0 files copied” for 8 hours. I tried cancelling it again but this time the new Air was frozen. I tried to do a hard reboot and it appears to have corrupted the OS on the M1 Air. It just says to visit Apples support page to restore it. Ok, that page says to plug it into another Mac with a USB C cable. I don’t have any USB C cables. So I ordered one. Then realized that won’t help because the other Air doesn’t have USB C. Ok, I’ll try to make a time machine backup, but that won’t work either because the drive that will connect to the old air won’t connect to the new air and vice versa. The Air has no network ports so that isn’t an option either. I yearn for the days when I could just connect via FireWire target disk mode…this process has gone from easy to very complicated.

Yep.... See my initial thread on my first M1 Air: [forums.macresource.com]

I see they STILL haven't fixed that problem. Doesn't seem like they intend to.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 07, 2021 11:59PM
I've never had good luck migrating over Ethernet or WiFi. There's always important stuff that doesn't come over.

Back up the old MacBook Air with Time Machine and when the new M1 is back to zero, migrate from the backup drive. It's waaaaay faster and more reliable.

Posted by: jdc
Date: May 08, 2021 12:18AM
testcase
I VERY recently read an article (possibly form MUO~Make Use Of) which stated that Apple's SSDs used in the new Apple hardware are expected to fail very prematurely. ANYBODY with the "new iron" should be exceptionally careful to keep current back ups.

Its mostly blathering.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 08, 2021 03:57AM
Maybe buy some intermediate hardware like a 13” MBP that is a few years old to use for this purpose but a few years newer than the old Air. Then resell it when you have accomplished the task. This is not the Apple of old. Also, call AppleCare.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2021 07:05AM by Speedy.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 08, 2021 05:01AM

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2021 05:05AM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: May 08, 2021 06:19AM
How about making an appointment at an Apple Store to bring in both computers and talk to an Apple Genius.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 08, 2021 12:34PM
Zero issues here migrating from my 2015 MBA to the new M1 MBA over the air. It took about 90 minutes as I have a lot of photos.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: clay
Date: May 08, 2021 01:46PM
Sarcany
I've never had good luck migrating over Ethernet or WiFi. There's always important stuff that doesn't come over.

Back up the old MacBook Air with Time Machine and when the new M1 is back to zero, migrate from the backup drive. It's waaaaay faster and more reliable.

Yup, either backup to a fresh time machine drive, or use CCC or Super duper to create a clone, then migrate from that on the new machine.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 08, 2021 02:00PM
.....with only USB-C port..........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 08, 2021 07:34PM
clay
Sarcany

Yup, either backup to a fresh time machine drive, or use CCC or Super duper to create a clone, then migrate from that on the new machine.

This would be my recommended solution. 1TB external, USB-powered hard drives are under $70.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020